Bullnose Forums

‘82 Bronco restoration

Dk46

I am guessing this was a Ford option?
Yes, that diagram is from Ford (somehow - I forget where I found it) and those are Ford base PNs in it.

Well I would have never guessed that it would have been a factory option. I took it off and if anyone would like to have it, I got it.  Another question, what would make the key switch real stiff? Feels like it’s binding up. 

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 9, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Steve83 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

There are at least two possible reasons for the key to be tight. First, perhaps the wheel is turned and the steering wheel lock is what is keeping it from straightening up. If so, try turning the wheel a bit one way or the other to free the key.

Another is that the lube in the tumbler and/or switch is old and hard. See the Ignition Switch tab here for what to do about that: Electrical/Ignition.

Look on Page 4 here for a picture of the air horns: Literature/1982 Literature/1982 Accessories.

It appears there were two kits, and here's what was in them:

Air_Horn_Kit.thumb.jpg.1cf79689ad8154b55663a8e551869138.jpg

...what would make the key switch real stiff? Feels like it’s binding up.
Look carefully at the hole in the column where the turn signal stalk goes in. Is it rectangular? Or is it sort of triangular, with the point to the wheel? Can you see a vertical bar inside that the stalk almost touches? Does the stalk pull to the rear (toward the wheel)? IOW: is it a fixed column, or a tilt? Post pics.

• 2 weeks later...

...what would make the key switch real stiff? Feels like it’s binding up.
Look carefully at the hole in the column where the turn signal stalk goes in. Is it rectangular? Or is it sort of triangular, with the point to the wheel? Can you see a vertical bar inside that the stalk almost touches? Does the stalk pull to the rear (toward the wheel)? IOW: is it a fixed column, or a tilt? Post pics.

Been busy with other things to do but still have ignition switch issues. It is a tilt wheel. I lowered the column and took this picture. ThanksIMG_20190620_200349520.jpg.c1273d70f2b89083a8f3a113ecd6fd03.jpg

Been busy with other things to do but still have ignition switch issues. It is a tilt wheel. I lowered the column and took this picture. Thanks

Danny - You said earlier "Another question, what would make the key switch real stiff? Feels like it’s binding up." There are at least two reasons - the lube in the ignition switch itself has dried up and/or the switch is binding, or the linkage in the steering column is broken/binding.

If you go to the Electrical/Ignition page and click on the Ignition Switch tab you'll see a discussion of how to remove and re-install the switch. I'd pull the switch and see if the key now turns smoothly or if it still binds. If it binds or is rough w/o the switch you know it is the linkage in the column.

If the linkage seems to be the problem you can see several links here (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/steering-columns1.html) that discuss how to repair it. But if the problem appears to be the switch then lube it and re-install it as described in the previous link.

Danny - You said earlier "Another question, what would make the key switch real stiff? Feels like it’s binding up." There are at least two reasons - the lube in the ignition switch itself has dried up and/or the switch is binding, or the linkage in the steering column is broken/binding.

If you go to the Electrical/Ignition page and click on the Ignition Switch tab you'll see a discussion of how to remove and re-install the switch. I'd pull the switch and see if the key now turns smoothly or if it still binds. If it binds or is rough w/o the switch you know it is the linkage in the column.

If the linkage seems to be the problem you can see several links here (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/steering-columns1.html) that discuss how to repair it. But if the problem appears to be the switch then lube it and re-install it as described in the previous link.

Took the ignition switch off and cleaned and lubricated it and it's working 100% better. Thanks

I've been tinkering with the power locks and windows. All of the switches were cracked or completely missing. None were in the door panel at all. I know GM window switches don't work the same as Ford but what about gm door lock switches? I'm gonna have to figure something out for the windows, I don't have switches, retainers, or bezels. Any advice??

I've been tinkering with the power locks and windows. All of the switches were cracked or completely missing. None were in the door panel at all. I know GM window switches don't work the same as Ford but what about gm door lock switches? I'm gonna have to figure something out for the windows, I don't have switches, retainers, or bezels. Any advice??

Dk46, I tried to find some switches [used or NOS], but only saw one used single switch. I did run across a kit which specifies it is for our era trucks. Be cautious and investigate, but it may work, even though not original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-86-Ford-Truck-F-Series-Power-Window-Switch-Kit-w-Harness-fs-box-t19-351m/264317888889?fits=Year%3A1980%7CModel%3AF-150%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item3d8a92e979:g:EgUAAOSw4Ohc1hW0

Dk46, I tried to find some switches [used or NOS], but only saw one used single switch. I did run across a kit which specifies it is for our era trucks. Be cautious and investigate, but it may work, even though not original.https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-86-Ford-Truck-F-Series-Power-Window-Switch-Kit-w-Harness-fs-box-t19-351m/264317888889?fits=Year%3A1980%7CModel%3AF-150%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item3d8a92e979:g:EgUAAOSw4Ohc1hW0
I'll check it out. What about door locks. Would gm lock buttons work my actuators?

Danny

From: 1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:10:59 PM

To: Dk46

Subject: Re: ‘82 Bronco restoration

Dk46, I tried to find some switches [used or NOS], but only saw one used single switch. I did run across a kit which specifies it is for our era trucks. Be cautious and investigate, but it may work, even though not original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-86-Ford-Truck-F-Series-Power-Window-Switch-Kit-w-Harness-fs-box-t19-351m/264317888889?fits=Year%3A1980%7CModel%3AF-150%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item3d8a92e979:g:EgUAAOSw4Ohc1hW0

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/82-Bronco-restoration-tp28670p30293.html

To unsubscribe from ‘82 Bronco restoration, click here.

NAML