Bullnose Forums

Thermactor/Smog Pump Rebuild

Good evening all. For now, I need to keep the emissions equipment stock and functional. Last week my pump started making some painful noises. I removed it and broke it partially down over the weekend. The interior is pretty clean, surprisingly, and the carbon vanes in decent shape, however, the bearing is very tired.

'Seems a shame to trash it and pay for a remanufactured. Does anyone have experience with a successful DIY rebuild? Any pointers beyond the bearing swap?

I have taken them apart myself. But never for rebuild, always for removing the vanes :) That way they spin and look stock, but offer no resistance.

Someone could learn more than a few things from you, Pete. Good idea for a JY pull with a good bearing. Thanks.

Someone could learn more than a few things from you, Pete. Good idea for a JY pull with a good bearing. Thanks.

Here's a tidbit . . even the air pumps from the 90s, looked very, very, very similar to ones from the 60s. Not quite enough for a concour restore, but certainly good enough for an average show :) Little was changed, very little.

Here's a tidbit . . even the air pumps from the 90s, looked very, very, very similar to ones from the 60s. Not quite enough for a concour restore, but certainly good enough for an average show :) Little was changed, very little.

Thanks again Pete. That'll give me a lot of flexibility.

I'm not keeping it roll off the floor stock, rather just trying to keep it CA BAR compliant until they ever decide to relax the emissions rules for our rides.

Great reminder Bill. I keep forgetting they are a great resource and often we'll priced for small quantities.

I've had good luck walking into the Grainger store, too, if I find someone behind the counter that likes a challenge.