Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

23 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:
  • Speed Control: This probably isn't something that just happened on this trip, but it is the first time I've noticed that frequently when I turn the right turn signal on the speed control trips off.  I wonder if it is a problem like Larry/@ratdude747 diagnosed with an LED bulb?

Sorry, I'm out of town on a long trip of my own this weekend (with my bullnose, of course!!!).

From what I'm reading (looking at Mitchell schematics I have for my 1995 Ranger, attached) the later cruise modules (like what I remember you using) use the exact same signalling as old vacuum ones, other than on models with SRS (such as said Ranger), the signals run through a clockspring with the air bag controls. "Off" is caused by the cruise control signal wire getting shorted to ground; this is to ensure a glitch condition like you're having fails safely. Since the turn signal control is power-side switched ("PNP") to allow for the use of body grounds and it's only causing issues in one turn direction (not likely a floating ground at the cruise module), my best guess is that you have a bad cruise signal wire near that turn signal switch that's mechanically being shorted when you indicate a right turn. If it was during turning and your column has a clockspring, I'd also suggest a failing clockspring (part of me wants to say Ford adopted clock springs right before SRS was rolled out, but I honestly can't remember). 

Edit: I misread what you stated (hence the strike)... as you're dealing with the BOO/CPP signal instead of the cruise steering signal. Yes, that could be a short linking the rear right brake light's brake control signal to its turn control signal (if you're using the brake light signal stock on a bullnose, not a master cylinder switch like used on ABS trucks). But, I'd tend to think that'd be turn signal switch issue, not a light issue, since the BOO/CPP signal is power-side switched ("PNP")... on bullnose trucks brake and turn signal are the same filament, ruling out a cross-the-bulb short. 

Edit2: I need to know how you wired your module... as at least this 1995 module has two inputs for brakes (one is a direct link to the master cylinder switch, the other is a clutch/brake combination circuit). Note that the 1995 ranger has separate rear turn signal and brake light bulbs, so the circuit is different. Maybe I need to read an aeronose EVTM? 

15593.pdf

Edited by ratdude747
ratdude is a bonehead

Larry - If you are on a trip this can wait.

But the schematic below shows the later speed control.  And I'm feeding it BOO and also using the brake pressure switch.  So somehow the turn signal must be feeding it BOO.  I'll have to check to see if I have an LED in the right side.

1996_Speed_Control_Switch_Return.thumb.jpg.6c9702a8a6b5a35510fce92c6ee601331.jpg.0c11c4d461a0a4dd7cc8e43a7678e8a3.jpg

Mine from NPD were also TYC in two different boxes with differing names. So that tells me most of them have flashing issues. Once sanded the flashing down, they fit just fine. 

If the ones from NPD and LMC are TYC with this same issue, your only option would be maybe Dennis Carpenter repops if available (*Edit, the pictures on the DC website show TYC parts), or NOS Ford if you can find them. 

Edited by salans7

I ordered these from Garage-Pro via Amazon.  Pretty sure they are different as the plastic on the back is black where the plastic on the TYC's I have is silver.  Won't be here for a week or so but I'm not in a hurry so that's not a problem.  I'll report back when they come in.

Already told Amazon that they DO NOT FIT and wrote a review that said the same thing.  Review hasn't been published and may not ever be.

71RiUCkDWKL._AC_SL1500_1.thumb.jpg.95e138d95c053b0cf08e7e08285ca1a6.jpg