Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm working on how to document my fuse box changes, and my plan is to laminate these and put them in the fuse box - once I get them correct, sized right, etc. The fuse box layout is the one from the EVTM with the stuff about the connectors removed, and the fuse size and circuits protected one is a spreadsheet I created to mimic the factory table. I'll be changing that to have all of my info in it.

I'll be happy to put these out where others can use them if that would be helpful.

Got the fuse box wiring done today. Let's just say that getting 4 retaining clips released simultaneously to pull that buss strip out isn't easily done. But I got it out, finally, w/o breaking any clips, crimped and soldered a jumper in, and put it back. Then plugged the terminal connected to the jumper into a slot, added a connector & wire to the other side of the slot, and now have hot-at-all-times power for the security system, fused at 10A.

Then I fished the three power wires up through the dash in convolute, joined the convolute carrying the driver's side door lock wires, and ran that over to the security system and beyond. Taped the wires up, rolled them up and tie wrapped them, and stuffed them into cavities in the passenger's side of the dash, as shown below. Then I put the dash pad on and pronounced Big Blue ready to have his picture taken tomorrow.

Lots, and lots of wire needing to be connected:

Security_System_Stopping_Point.thumb.jpg.24a5b6dd042b2a6e9e51cdaa553c165c.jpg

Got the fuse box wiring done today. Let's just say that getting 4 retaining clips released simultaneously to pull that buss strip out isn't easily done. But I got it out, finally, w/o breaking any clips, crimped and soldered a jumper in, and put it back. Then plugged the terminal connected to the jumper into a slot, added a connector & wire to the other side of the slot, and now have hot-at-all-times power for the security system, fused at 10A.

Then I fished the three power wires up through the dash in convolute, joined the convolute carrying the driver's side door lock wires, and ran that over to the security system and beyond. Taped the wires up, rolled them up and tie wrapped them, and stuffed them into cavities in the passenger's side of the dash, as shown below. Then I put the dash pad on and pronounced Big Blue ready to have his picture taken tomorrow.

Lots, and lots of wire needing to be connected:

Nice! Good job!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Scott. It doesn't look like a lot, but there were lots of little details along the way. And with your help I'm really happy with the results. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, I wanted to mention here, as I’m sure I posted here about using an adapter to have an aftermarket temperature gauge and the factory sensor also.

I felt then that it worked fine, but after time I realized it has some quirks.

Both gauges slow to come up and occasionally the aftermarket gauge wouldn’t come up for awhile or until I shut it off to go into a store and came back out it would show or show right after I started it.

Then for giggles one day the aftermarket gauge wasn’t coming up so I put it in neutral and revved the engine and it came up. Thinking that was a fluke tried it again and it worked. Did that numerous times.

So when I was flushing the coolant system I took the adapter out and am now using only the aftermarket gauge. Comes up every time so far and seems more responsive.

So, I’m changing my opinion on that.

Gary, I wanted to mention here, as I’m sure I posted here about using an adapter to have an aftermarket temperature gauge and the factory sensor also.

I felt then that it worked fine, but after time I realized it has some quirks.

Both gauges slow to come up and occasionally the aftermarket gauge wouldn’t come up for awhile or until I shut it off to go into a store and came back out it would show or show right after I started it.

Then for giggles one day the aftermarket gauge wasn’t coming up so I put it in neutral and revved the engine and it came up. Thinking that was a fluke tried it again and it worked. Did that numerous times.

So when I was flushing the coolant system I took the adapter out and am now using only the aftermarket gauge. Comes up every time so far and seems more responsive.

So, I’m changing my opinion on that.

Dane - I think you were getting air pockets around the sending units. They really need to be in the flowing stream rather than in branches off the stream.

I have one sending unit in the Bullnose factory position and one in the EFI intake, probably where the EFI sending unit goes, come to think of it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Dane - I think you were getting air pockets around the sending units. They really need to be in the flowing stream rather than in branches off the stream.

I have one sending unit in the Bullnose factory position and one in the EFI intake, probably where the EFI sending unit goes, come to think of it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I agree. At first I thought they were “saturated” enough. But, that really proves your thinking on that.

I think I did the same thing on my 87 4Runner, and now I’m remembering the Equus gauge came up slow also. But, I don’t think it was as noticeable as this engine.

I agree. At first I thought they were “saturated” enough. But, that really proves your thinking on that.

I think I did the same thing on my 87 4Runner, and now I’m remembering the Equus gauge came up slow also. But, I don’t think it was as noticeable as this engine.

Had conversations with our daughter & family and son & family regarding going to Yellowstone the summer of 2022. And during those discussions I said Big Blue would be there so we could do some offroading in the area. And I told them about the probability of having a roof-top tent on it.

The grandtwins are enthusiastic about wanting to go camping with Pop Pop. And my SiL seems to be interested in taking off with me somewhere.

My son was trying to figure out how we get from Yellowstone to Moab, but then realized that it is quite far, so is thinking that it needs to be a separate trip. However, he then started explaining what gear we will need, what gear he has, etc. And suggested that I need to add "area lights" so we'll have light around the truck at night for camping.

So the seed has been planted. :nabble_anim_jump: