Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

It probably doesn't mean what I think it means. :nabble_anim_confused:

To tell the truth, I'm not sure I understand "hysteresis" vs "deadband". Nor am I sure they are important in this discussion.

But, while reading up on those terms I found this, and I'm applying the coffee at present and we'll see if a solution or sarcasm comes out. (There is a 3rd output, but we won't touch it. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

You’d make a good Dread Pirate Roberts!

It’s cool how you’re going after this. Funny I was driving the X and realized I bring it back up to or close to the speed I was at when I hit resume. Because it gets all over it if I don’t.

You’d make a good Dread Pirate Roberts!

It’s cool how you’re going after this. Funny I was driving the X and realized I bring it back up to or close to the speed I was at when I hit resume. Because it gets all over it if I don’t.

Wikipedia says this about Dread Pirate Roberts: "A pirate of near-mythical reputation, the Dread Pirate Roberts is feared across the seven seas for his ruthlessness and sword fighting prowess, and is well known for taking no prisoners." So, help me see myself in that? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Yesterday I hit Resume at 30 MPH with the set point at 65. I saw 2" of vacuum on the gauge while the carb wailed. Hit Set/Accel and you get full throttle. Hit Coast and it completely chops the throttle. That's not acceptable.

So far I've flow charted the background process, which just calls the Fuel Gauge and the Speed Control subroutines. And I've flow charted the Fuel Guage subroutine, which checks the position of the tank selector switch to determine which table to use in driving the gauge. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I've thought through what the interrupt routines will look like, although I've not flow charted them.

But the Speed Control routine will be the tricky one. So far I've not figured out how to use the feedback from the servo positioning potentiometer. And I need to figure out how to gracefully Resume, Accel, and Coast.

One approach on the latter is to just come up with a max throttle change I'm willing to allow for those functions. IOW, if you are at 30 MPH and hit Resume how far can it open the throttle, which is one place that the position sensor will come in handy.

Or, I could do it based on MPH. Knowing the pulses/rev of the VSS and the gear ratio awa tire size I'll know the MPH. So the calculation for Resume could be (Set Point - Current Speed)/Allowable Rate = Throttle Opening.

Just thinking through things. But now back to the VSS testing. Want to know how many pulses/rev they give awa the shape and height of the output. :nabble_smiley_super:

Wikipedia says this about Dread Pirate Roberts: "A pirate of near-mythical reputation, the Dread Pirate Roberts is feared across the seven seas for his ruthlessness and sword fighting prowess, and is well known for taking no prisoners." So, help me see myself in that? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Just a quote from the movie. It’s a family favorite.

Yesterday I hit Resume at 30 MPH with the set point at 65. I saw 2" of vacuum on the gauge while the carb wailed. Hit Set/Accel and you get full throttle. Hit Coast and it completely chops the throttle. That's not acceptable.

So far I've flow charted the background process, which just calls the Fuel Gauge and the Speed Control subroutines. And I've flow charted the Fuel Guage subroutine, which checks the position of the tank selector switch to determine which table to use in driving the gauge. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And I've thought through what the interrupt routines will look like, although I've not flow charted them.

But the Speed Control routine will be the tricky one. So far I've not figured out how to use the feedback from the servo positioning potentiometer. And I need to figure out how to gracefully Resume, Accel, and Coast.

One approach on the latter is to just come up with a max throttle change I'm willing to allow for those functions. IOW, if you are at 30 MPH and hit Resume how far can it open the throttle, which is one place that the position sensor will come in handy.

Or, I could do it based on MPH. Knowing the pulses/rev of the VSS and the gear ratio awa tire size I'll know the MPH. So the calculation for Resume could be (Set Point - Current Speed)/Allowable Rate = Throttle Opening.

Just thinking through things. But now back to the VSS testing. Want to know how many pulses/rev they give awa the shape and height of the output. :nabble_smiley_super:

Gary, you need to watch the Movie Prencess Bride to get the full meaning

Gary, did you ever try adding a little slack to the throttle chain?

Gary, did you ever try adding a little slack to the throttle chain?

Not sure I'm up to watching The Princess Bride w/o my grandkids. :nabble_smiley_cry:

David - Actually, I haven't. I have changed out the servo several time, but have always put the slack back where the FSM says. I guess I should try that. Thanks!

I'll do that when I put the new speedo cable and VSS in. For the first test I'll leave the slack where it is and then add some slack.

Not sure I'm up to watching The Princess Bride w/o my grandkids. :nabble_smiley_cry:

David - Actually, I haven't. I have changed out the servo several time, but have always put the slack back where the FSM says. I guess I should try that. Thanks!

I'll do that when I put the new speedo cable and VSS in. For the first test I'll leave the slack where it is and then add some slack.

Well, I'm very, VERY confused. :nabble_anim_confused:

As you can see in this post on the How To Calibrate A Speedometer, Big Blue's speedo came pretty close to being correctly calibrated, although it does have a waver to it that isn't right.

But I've had it in and out several times and every time it has been ~5 MPH slow at anything over about 30 MPH. So I'm sure it'll still be slow when I put it back if I don't adjust it.

But, why? How can it read low when it appears to be read correctly on the lathe? That tells me that something's amiss in the drive/driven gear combo. But, the odometer seems to be working correctly. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I think I'm going to jack it up 5 MPH on the lathe and give it a try. Thoughts? Better ideas?

Well, I'm very, VERY confused. :nabble_anim_confused:

As you can see in this post on the How To Calibrate A Speedometer, Big Blue's speedo came pretty close to being correctly calibrated, although it does have a waver to it that isn't right.

But I've had it in and out several times and every time it has been ~5 MPH slow at anything over about 30 MPH. So I'm sure it'll still be slow when I put it back if I don't adjust it.

But, why? How can it read low when it appears to be read correctly on the lathe? That tells me that something's amiss in the drive/driven gear combo. But, the odometer seems to be working correctly. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I think I'm going to jack it up 5 MPH on the lathe and give it a try. Thoughts? Better ideas?

Gary, I hope this will work for you. They're crude due to the curvature of the leaf packs, but should get you close. I measured from the rear edge to the center line, and from the front edge to the center line. I did not measure the top leaf or the overload so these are just the three leaves in between.

Let me know if the measurements don't make sense to you.

Screenshot_20210103-141526_Gallery.thumb.jpg.79986794a8232856abf77555c900fa77.jpg

Gary, I hope this will work for you. They're crude due to the curvature of the leaf packs, but should get you close. I measured from the rear edge to the center line, and from the front edge to the center line. I did not measure the top leaf or the overload so these are just the three leaves in between.

Let me know if the measurements don't make sense to you.

Shaun - Thanks! I've measured Big Blue's, as best I can, and drew it up as you did yours. (Not easy, so thanks a bunch!) It looks to me like the middle three springs are the closest to yours, and by taking out the top and bottom I'd essentially have yours.

Or, to look at it another way, here's a comparison of overall lengths:

Shaun Gary

#5 - 53 3/4

#4 50 1/2 49 3/4

#3 46 45 1/2

#2 41 1/2 41 1/2

#1 - 38

Thoughts?

Shauns_Spring_Dimensions.jpg.125bbe4c0a0372a524333eda1d8525b8.jpgBig_Blues_Rear_Spring_Dimensions.thumb.jpg.8c8f1a0e9875c080f3944d00b9611ba1.jpg

Shaun - Thanks! I've measured Big Blue's, as best I can, and drew it up as you did yours. (Not easy, so thanks a bunch!) It looks to me like the middle three springs are the closest to yours, and by taking out the top and bottom I'd essentially have yours.

Or, to look at it another way, here's a comparison of overall lengths:

Shaun Gary

#5 - 53 3/4

#4 50 1/2 49 3/4

#3 46 45 1/2

#2 41 1/2 41 1/2

#1 - 38

Thoughts?

I think that sounds like a plan! :nabble_smiley_good: