Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Aren't all dial calipers like this, Bill?

But I think Gary's issue is that he is gaining (or losing) the more he opens them.

He says above that zero is correct.

Yes, I have a dial. And, I've set it to zero. But if I then set my micrometer to something like .020" and lock it the calipers will read .010". And if I set the mike to .060" the calipers will read .048".

Yes, I have a dial. And, I've set it to zero. But if I then set my micrometer to something like .020" and lock it the calipers will read .010". And if I set the mike to .060" the calipers will read .048".

This morning I installed my ~50 year old vacuum gauge in a temp location for carb tuning. How do I know it is ~50 years old? I had it while I was in college and I graduated 51 years ago. In fact, the light I installed through the back of it was so I could strap it in that same location on our then-new '72 F250 and be able to read it at night.

And, like I knew it would, it helped me tell when the metering rods come up. So I have a better understanding of what is going on.

Vacuum_Gauge_Installed_-_Temp.thumb.jpg.480ddace29c5acc72f2bc705bfed28f3.jpg

Then we took Big Blue out for a cruise, and I'm happy to say that installing the rest of the windshield trim and lowering the windshield wipers made a big improvement on the wind noise. Now the wind noise seems to be from the mirrors. But, Janey said the overall wind noise is noticeably lower.

After that I installed the medium-duty radio bezel.

Medium_Duty_Radio_Bezel_Installed.thumb.jpg.cb78855662b255be2ad6170aa28db905.jpg

Looks kinda like Darth Vader. :nabble_smiley_oh: But in that blank spot towards the top I'll install the Carling switch mounting bracket, shown below. Then I can mount the switches, including the one for the OX locker.

VM6.jpg.67daa85208f6def366501d053cb8a3cc.jpg

This morning I installed my ~50 year old vacuum gauge in a temp location for carb tuning. How do I know it is ~50 years old? I had it while I was in college and I graduated 51 years ago. In fact, the light I installed through the back of it was so I could strap it in that same location on our then-new '72 F250 and be able to read it at night.

And, like I knew it would, it helped me tell when the metering rods come up. So I have a better understanding of what is going on.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n78390/Vacuum_Gauge_Installed_-_Temp.jpg

Hmmmm, the other day, I was storing and cleaning and found a NOS vacuum gauge. I believe it is smaller than the one currently in Big Blue. It is shaped like an old steering column mounted tachometer.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n78390/Vacuum_Gauge_Installed_-_Temp.jpg

Hmmmm, the other day, I was storing and cleaning and found a NOS vacuum gauge. I believe it is smaller than the one currently in Big Blue. It is shaped like an old steering column mounted tachometer.

John - These must a good example of the "very nearly" ones. They appear to work properly and I was pretty sure they were accurate, but the results I got on the metering rods was very confusing. Very. Then I thought "why don't you check them with a micrometer" and the truth was revealed.

I wonder how many things I've made that weren't quite "right"? :nabble_smiley_blush:

David - A vacuum gauge meant to be permanently mounted? Cool! Mine isn't designed for that, and its mounting is precarious - and ghetto.

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I'm on the lookout for an instrument bezel that matches that medium duty radio bezel. I have one with the fog light switch holes, but it is in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to drill more holes in it to mount the gauges, as shown below. So if you come across a used one please let me know. I think that bezel is black rather than gray, but will check.

Vacuum_Gauge_Installed_-_Temp.thumb.jpg.ba937e7976a8d7caed6c335e93ad7008.jpgMedium_Duty_Radio_Bezel_Installed.thumb.jpg.71782b112c1722ec364c7f74f5d88212.jpg

John - These must a good example of the "very nearly" ones. They appear to work properly and I was pretty sure they were accurate, but the results I got on the metering rods was very confusing. Very. Then I thought "why don't you check them with a micrometer" and the truth was revealed.

I wonder how many things I've made that weren't quite "right"? :nabble_smiley_blush:

David - A vacuum gauge meant to be permanently mounted? Cool! Mine isn't designed for that, and its mounting is precarious - and ghetto.

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I'm on the lookout for an instrument bezel that matches that medium duty radio bezel. I have one with the fog light switch holes, but it is in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to drill more holes in it to mount the gauges, as shown below. So if you come across a used one please let me know. I think that bezel is black rather than gray, but will check.

Definitely doesn't look like "Medium Metallic Gray Weave", but if somehow it is, I know somebody who has one for sale. There's a small hole drilled through it so it's perfect for aftermarket gauges. :nabble_anim_jump:

Ok, you got me interested in doing some checking. I have a set of Mitutoyo dial calipers, no 537 - 110 and a nice Mitutoyo 0 - 1" micrometer no 193 - 211. I took a scrap piece of lead wire from some small electrolytic capacitors I installed on a power supply for a Polaroid TV. I measured it with the calipers and the micrometer, here are the results:

First here are the two instruments:

DSCN4212.thumb.jpg.89290875d6619945aa03d24f1c4f4e0d.jpg

Then, calipers zeroed:

DSCN4213.thumb.jpg.85f29b2388c183ab998f64b5b988f6f1.jpg

And micrometer zeroed:

DSCN4215.thumb.jpg.9dd32c0de57c1d54785cc87c626ba840.jpg

The piece of capacitor lead:

DSCN4217.thumb.jpg.f22dc8afee6cf9b81a4bec8d0bc0c5dd.jpg

Sorry it wouldn't focus better.

Caliper measurement: 0.022+"

DSCN4220.thumb.jpg.95843f611448aabf1c0f48f943399583.jpg

Micrometer measurement: 0.024"

DSCN4224.thumb.jpg.5a9db8ea23f91538498cc78a13d9d8f3.jpg

Ok, you got me interested in doing some checking. I have a set of Mitutoyo dial calipers, no 537 - 110 and a nice Mitutoyo 0 - 1" micrometer no 193 - 211. I took a scrap piece of lead wire from some small electrolytic capacitors I installed on a power supply for a Polaroid TV. I measured it with the calipers and the micrometer, here are the results:

First here are the two instruments:

Then, calipers zeroed:

And micrometer zeroed:

The piece of capacitor lead:

Sorry it wouldn't focus better.

Caliper measurement: 0.022+"

Micrometer measurement: 0.024"

Shaun - I'll lay others beside this one tomorrow in good lighting and figure out what I have. But you may just have the winning hand!

Bill - So something is off .001+? That's not bad, but I'd bet the micrometer is correct.

Shaun - I'll lay others beside this one tomorrow in good lighting and figure out what I have. But you may just have the winning hand!

Bill - So something is off .001+? That's not bad, but I'd bet the micrometer is correct.

I will too, it was calibrated every January by NNS as a personal tool and never needed adjustment.