Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I had to replace Darth's radiator a while back, bummer was when I bought it it was a Modine lifetime one. Not only is Modine gone, but the shop I got from, the owner had a massive coronary and died right after his 65th birthday. I ended up just getting an SPI one from RockAuto. I have never had any overheating issues even in bumper to bumper creeping on a high 90s day with matching humidity.

Ok, I ordered the Champion 4-row as well as that cap from Amazon. They are a bit more expensive than ebay, but I know if I have problems they'll work with me. And delivery is some time from Friday to next Tuesday.

Ok, I ordered the Champion 4-row as well as that cap from Amazon. They are a bit more expensive than ebay, but I know if I have problems they'll work with me. And delivery is some time from Friday to next Tuesday.

Interesting! I was looking at aluminum radiators and it seemed like Champion suddenly fell off the earth!

I’m curious what you find out, seems most as noted, probably from the same place.

I noticed there seems to be a pattern of two years and they start leaking. Well shoot, the plastic ones can do that!

Probably figure it out next summer.

Edit, I’ll probably buy local from NAPA as it took three radiators to get a good one for our Suburban and it was from NAPA. Two from what was a locally owned parts store and the third I put on my tailgate and inspected outside of NAPA!

Interesting! I was looking at aluminum radiators and it seemed like Champion suddenly fell off the earth!

I’m curious what you find out, seems most as noted, probably from the same place.

I noticed there seems to be a pattern of two years and they start leaking. Well shoot, the plastic ones can do that!

Probably figure it out next summer.

Edit, I’ll probably buy local from NAPA as it took three radiators to get a good one for our Suburban and it was from NAPA. Two from what was a locally owned parts store and the third I put on my tailgate and inspected outside of NAPA!

Given the massive amount of welding required due to the way they build these things it is easy to see how they might leak. But I sure hope mine won't!

As for Champion, I found them being sold by several of the vendors. And the recent reviews are "OK". So that seemed a better bet than some of the others.

Given the massive amount of welding required due to the way they build these things it is easy to see how they might leak. But I sure hope mine won't!

As for Champion, I found them being sold by several of the vendors. And the recent reviews are "OK". So that seemed a better bet than some of the others.

If you get on Speed way, they have radiators made by C&R. They are double pass radaitors and are made to fit just about everything you can imagen. these are so stout that we run them in our dirt track race cars.They will keep a car that has a 190 thermostat at 190, eliminates temp spiking when you have to slow down for a caution, and eliminates the need for a water spray system to cool the engine when coming off the track.

You said that you were looking for over kill, well there you have it.

If you get on Speed way, they have radiators made by C&R. They are double pass radaitors and are made to fit just about everything you can imagen. these are so stout that we run them in our dirt track race cars.They will keep a car that has a 190 thermostat at 190, eliminates temp spiking when you have to slow down for a caution, and eliminates the need for a water spray system to cool the engine when coming off the track.

You said that you were looking for over kill, well there you have it.

Steve - This page on Speedway should take you to a search for a radiator for an '85 F250. And there's no option for C&R. In fact, all they have are the Holley Frostbite and then radiators for those demented people who want to put a Bowtie engine in a Ford.

Did I miss something?

Steve - This page on Speedway should take you to a search for a radiator for an '85 F250. And there's no option for C&R. In fact, all they have are the Holley Frostbite and then radiators for those demented people who want to put a Bowtie engine in a Ford.

Did I miss something?

Sorry Gary, try thishttps://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-80100NDP-Double-Pass-Radiator-22-3-8-Inch-1-5-In-Right-Side-Inlet,24515.html. It might not be the right size, but this and more are found in the cilcle track section of the web site.

Keep in mind that these are for the most part, universal fit, and will require fabed up mounting brackets and such

Sorry Gary, try thishttps://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-80100NDP-Double-Pass-Radiator-22-3-8-Inch-1-5-In-Right-Side-Inlet,24515.html. It might not be the right size, but this and more are found in the cilcle track section of the web site.

Keep in mind that these are for the most part, universal fit, and will require fabed up mounting brackets and such

Ok, I see that now. And it looks impressive.

But my mantra on Big Blue has been to use standard parts that can be replaced easily in the field. Or mountain top for that matter. So I don't want to modify the mounts. Instead I want to use the factory mounts so I could buy a radiator from a parts store in a pinch to get me back on the road.

I think this Champion 4-row aluminum radiator will cool quite nicely. Compared to the 3-row brass radiator that has been on the truck it should provide more cooling and, hopefully, no leaks!

Ok, I see that now. And it looks impressive.

But my mantra on Big Blue has been to use standard parts that can be replaced easily in the field. Or mountain top for that matter. So I don't want to modify the mounts. Instead I want to use the factory mounts so I could buy a radiator from a parts store in a pinch to get me back on the road.

I think this Champion 4-row aluminum radiator will cool quite nicely. Compared to the 3-row brass radiator that has been on the truck it should provide more cooling and, hopefully, no leaks!

I always get the biggest one that will fit in the header panal and then make the mounts on the radiator fit the header panal orignal mountings. That way I can, if needed, go to a local parts store and pick up a stock one, bolt it in and finish the night.

I always get the biggest one that will fit in the header panal and then make the mounts on the radiator fit the header panal orignal mountings. That way I can, if needed, go to a local parts store and pick up a stock one, bolt it in and finish the night.

Steve - I think I'll be happy with this one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for what I did today, I did some testing on bulbs for the underhood light, as detailed here. And then I installed the light with the LED bulb:

Underhood_Light_Installed.thumb.jpg.8bc0621c50a80c11ff4fde106236f0ad.jpg