Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Well the short answer on the Ranger setup is that it won't work without some custom brackets being made, and about the only usable part is the handle itself. There's not enough meat on the bullnose A-Pillar to run a similar setup. You would be better off with something like the ones off of a newer Econoline.

The A-pillar on my F350.

Thanks, Shaun. That helps. At least we are pretty sure it won't work.

Thanks, Shaun. That helps. At least we are pretty sure it won't work.

As requested, conversion van grab handles. These are mounted through the headliner into the inner reinforcement above the door openings. I actually need to slide a spacer up behind the headliner to bring them in a bit (you can see the indent in the headliner and the right front one the screw covers keep popping off).

DSCN4106.thumb.jpg.b2fecd4971e18ffe8151ba8c350716b1.jpg

DSCN4107.thumb.jpg.ac707794e2b59ec4fcd3fdbd16e151c8.jpg

Outside handles:

DSCN0632.jpg.eec73c27e0e7738c79b4d0d08ff4f117.jpg

The screws are just big sheet metal ones on both inside and outside, no nut plate or threadcerts behind the headliner or in the B and C pillars.

As requested, conversion van grab handles. These are mounted through the headliner into the inner reinforcement above the door openings. I actually need to slide a spacer up behind the headliner to bring them in a bit (you can see the indent in the headliner and the right front one the screw covers keep popping off).

Outside handles:

The screws are just big sheet metal ones on both inside and outside, no nut plate or threadcerts behind the headliner or in the B and C pillars.

Shaun - They changed a lot of stuff up that makes it very hard to swap parts. Not sure why.

Bill - Thanks. But what "inner reinforcement" are you talking about? The inner panel of the "roof". That doesn't seem all that strong to me and I'd want to see if I couldn't reinforce it somehow if I were to put a handle up there.

Janey was just out and a handle on the A-pillar is her strong preference. It would be perfect for getting in as she can put her foot on the step bar and pull herself up with her right hand. Plus, once in it is about right to support herself on rough roads.

A handle above the door would work for getting in, but wouldn't work as well for her. However, once in it would be about as useful as one on the A-pillar.

And I just went out and checked Blue, which has a very large grab handle on the A-pillar. So I'm going to explore that option for a bit......

Shaun - They changed a lot of stuff up that makes it very hard to swap parts. Not sure why.

Bill - Thanks. But what "inner reinforcement" are you talking about? The inner panel of the "roof". That doesn't seem all that strong to me and I'd want to see if I couldn't reinforce it somehow if I were to put a handle up there.

Janey was just out and a handle on the A-pillar is her strong preference. It would be perfect for getting in as she can put her foot on the step bar and pull herself up with her right hand. Plus, once in it is about right to support herself on rough roads.

A handle above the door would work for getting in, but wouldn't work as well for her. However, once in it would be about as useful as one on the A-pillar.

And I just went out and checked Blue, which has a very large grab handle on the A-pillar. So I'm going to explore that option for a bit......

Did a bit more looking at the A-pillar grab handle idea. Found this piece of aluminum that sorta fits. (No, I'm not thinking about using aluminium.) It looks to me like nose in front might clear the trim piece, and I think the toe in the rear would since I can see from the other side where the trim stops in relationship to the cab and windshield. And if that's the case then a steel wedge could be shaped to just fit in that space.

Then the idea is to drill that piece at roughly the same angle as the screw, which is the one that holds the trim on at that point. Then I'd tap it, run a stud in, and either Loctite the stud in place or tack weld it on the back side.

Then there's the question as to how to keep it in place. And several thoughts come to mind:

• Welding: Is it too close to the windshield to weld it? This is probably a WelderScott kind of question.

• Adhesive: Maybe the structural adhesive used for body panels? JB Weld? Other?

• Fasteners: If it was long enough there could be several countersunk sheetmetal screws. Or, if there's room in the pillar use nutserts?

Last, in order to figure out how much room there is in there I think I need to dissect an A-pillar trim piece. I have a spare blue driver's side one, but I really don't want to cut it up. Anyone have a broken one I could use? I'm going to "advertise" for one in the main section but thought I'd ask here as well.

Possible_A-Pillar_Grab_Handle_Filler.thumb.jpg.29cb472a5a6380293415acb079bb47c8.jpg

It may be a crew cab only piece, there is an inner probably 2 1/2 - 3 inch high section right above the trim area on both sides. I think it's purpose is to provide something for the headliner sides to sit against. It is a pretty substantial piece on Darth. May be where the drip rail folds under.

It may be a crew cab only piece, there is an inner probably 2 1/2 - 3 inch high section right above the trim area on both sides. I think it's purpose is to provide something for the headliner sides to sit against. It is a pretty substantial piece on Darth. May be where the drip rail folds under.

Must be for the CC's. At least I've not seen it on regular cabs. The metal is pretty flimsy up there.