Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary.....I am pretty sure I had caster angle backwards. Which probably explains my wandering....In my head it made sense that positive caster meant the opposite of what is in this pic. So....I think I have some tinkering to do.

Ray - I agree that it seems backward. I always have to look it up. But at least you know what you need to do.

Bill - Yes, it is the "aux drive" so shouldn't wear the tires too much. I'll drive it a bit more and report back.

As for unequal length driveshafts, I had a buddy that bought a new Mazda MX6 turbo in '90 or so. It had very unequal length driveshafts as was written up in all the rags for its handling. He had me drive it and at one point told me to get a FIRM grip on the wheel and floor it. I did and was immediately in a wrestling match for control of the steering wheel! Fortunately I won, but had I not been warned I might have lost. That thing was evil!

Ray - I agree that it seems backward. I always have to look it up. But at least you know what you need to do.

Bill - Yes, it is the "aux drive" so shouldn't wear the tires too much. I'll drive it a bit more and report back.

As for unequal length driveshafts, I had a buddy that bought a new Mazda MX6 turbo in '90 or so. It had very unequal length driveshafts as was written up in all the rags for its handling. He had me drive it and at one point told me to get a FIRM grip on the wheel and floor it. I did and was immediately in a wrestling match for control of the steering wheel! Fortunately I won, but had I not been warned I might have lost. That thing was evil!

Even with equal length axles my konvertible can be a handful when the boost comes up in 1st between the roughly 200hp, torque converter, 2.45:1 1st and the 3.36 I believe final drive, if it doesn't actually light the tires you better have a firm grip on the wheel. It is strong enough that if I "power brake" it so the turbo is spooled up a bit, you will get about 100yds of front tyre spin until it hooks up.

It is ready! (David - What do you see in the right side pic? :nabble_smiley_wink:)

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n75380/Read_For_Road_Trip_-_DS.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n75380/Read_For_Road_Trip_-_PS.jpg

A Janey assist? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yes, a Janey assist. But, as it turned out, it doesn't work well for her. What she would really like is one on the A-pillar. That's where it would do the most good. Second is the B-pillar. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, a Janey assist. But, as it turned out, it doesn't work well for her. What she would really like is one on the A-pillar. That's where it would do the most good. Second is the B-pillar. :nabble_anim_confused:

My Ranger has little brackets that are riveted to the a-pillar behind the trim molding, and then there's a grab handle that screws to the bracket. I can take pictures tomorrow if you'd like.

P8270136.jpg.8ed597e33da1f0240a3eaa304ec4dad9.jpg

Gary, when I went to my parent’s place I found my stash of medium duty grab handles. I have enough to send you a set. The hardware wasn’t with the handles, but I know there is at least one set of the shims in my toolbox. If you still want a set of these just let me know and I will mail some 🙂.

Gary, when I went to my parent’s place I found my stash of medium duty grab handles. I have enough to send you a set. The hardware wasn’t with the handles, but I know there is at least one set of the shims in my toolbox. If you still want a set of these just let me know and I will mail some 🙂.

Shaun - I'm not in a hurry so whenever is convenient would be good. But pics would certainly help. Maybe I can find a pair of those from a Ranger and graft them on.

Jonathan - I think I'd like a pair of those, but I'm not sure. They are hard enough to come by and are, therefore, getting expensive. Our "finder" friend has struck out save for some really expensive ones.

Janey thinks the one on the A-pillar would be what she needs, but getting up to the tool box would sure be easier with one of those on the B-pillar.

So, how much do you want for a pair?

Shaun - I'm not in a hurry so whenever is convenient would be good. But pics would certainly help. Maybe I can find a pair of those from a Ranger and graft them on.

Jonathan - I think I'd like a pair of those, but I'm not sure. They are hard enough to come by and are, therefore, getting expensive. Our "finder" friend has struck out save for some really expensive ones.

Janey thinks the one on the A-pillar would be what she needs, but getting up to the tool box would sure be easier with one of those on the B-pillar.

So, how much do you want for a pair?

I was looking to see if I had a picture of the ones I put in Darth. They came out of a conversion E150 we scrapped and I have one over each door where you can grab them easily getting in. I will get a picture tomorrow.

I was looking to see if I had a picture of the ones I put in Darth. They came out of a conversion E150 we scrapped and I have one over each door where you can grab them easily getting in. I will get a picture tomorrow.

I'll have to check to see if Janey could reach a handle over the door. But that might be a possibility as well. Thanks, Bill.

I'll have to check to see if Janey could reach a handle over the door. But that might be a possibility as well. Thanks, Bill.

You have step on the running board to reach them easily. He also has outside handles (that need remounting) so you have one on each B and C post outside then the over the door one inside.