Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, Dad's truck has been a loooooong time coming. But there is still a lot to do on Big Blue. I've invited my son to go to Colorado with me next year and drive the trails around Ouray, and specifically Black Bear. And to do that we'll need more gas than the one tank, and really should have EFI instead of a carb for the large changes in altitude. So depending on what the 3rd FDM does, I may have to move on to EFI sooner rather than later.

And we'll need the on-board air, which means we need the inverter. Plus I have the front driveshaft to build and the electro-mechanical mechanism for the Ox locker to install. And a place to house the switches for those things, and more. In addition, I want to remove some leaves out of the rear spring pack and add air bags, that way gaining usable articulation and a better ride.

But I'm hoping to do those things as bite-sized projects, meaning not having to take BB down for more than a few days at a time, although the EFI will obviously take longer than that.

Anyway, there's lots more to come.

Alrighty, today is the day! Want to see that video, Gary. Would love a nice walk around too.

Alrighty, today is the day! Want to see that video, Gary. Would love a nice walk around too.

Janey has agreed to be my videographer, so we should have something to watch later today.

As for the length of time, it really does seem like a long, long time. But when I go back and look at what's been done I'm gobsmacked. Wow! There's sure been a lot, and some of that has been two steps forward and one step back. Like the plan for the engine - change out the intake & heads - but the engine was totally worn out. Or the D60, which came back from the shop with two different axle bearings in it. And now the FDM problem.

Bob - I'll put Poughkeepsie Gulch in the plans as well. My hope is that Bret and his family will fly into Denver and I'll pick him up while his wife and daughter visit friends since they used to live there. That will give us a few days and we can stay in a hotel in Ouray and run a number of the trails.

Anyway, I'm outta here! See y'all later........

Janey has agreed to be my videographer, so we should have something to watch later today.

As for the length of time, it really does seem like a long, long time. But when I go back and look at what's been done I'm gobsmacked. Wow! There's sure been a lot, and some of that has been two steps forward and one step back. Like the plan for the engine - change out the intake & heads - but the engine was totally worn out. Or the D60, which came back from the shop with two different axle bearings in it. And now the FDM problem.

Bob - I'll put Poughkeepsie Gulch in the plans as well. My hope is that Bret and his family will fly into Denver and I'll pick him up while his wife and daughter visit friends since they used to live there. That will give us a few days and we can stay in a hotel in Ouray and run a number of the trails.

Anyway, I'm outta here! See y'all later........

IT'S ALIVE! But, it runs about the way the monster looks. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But let me tell the story. However, I won't embed all the videos but will just give you links, which will keep this shorter. Having said that, there are questions at the bottom I need help with.

Here's what the truck looks like after seeing the light of day the first time in over a year:

Ready_For_The_Seat.thumb.jpg.8efc132d1385a629ce6a38f1963e2a58.jpg

After installing the seat, albeit temporarily as I couldn't find the right bolts, we started it up.

. And it ran POORLY! However, I ran it for 25 minutes to break in the cam, during which I realized the tach was doing wonky things, which implied that there was an ignition problem.

So after the 25 minute break-in I shut it off and swapped ignition boxes. That made a huge difference, and

you can tell that it runs pretty well.

However, it still isn't running perfectly smoothly, as you can tell in

And, the fuel pressure is bouncing all over the map, as you can see

, but I don't think that has anything to do with the missing.

So, several questions:

1. Is the missing possibly due to the engine not being broken in?

2. If not, where do I start troubleshooting?

3. Or, do I drive it to find out?

But let me tell the story. However, I won't embed all the videos but will just give you links, which will keep this shorter. Having said that, there are questions at the bottom I need help with.

Here's what the truck looks like after seeing the light of day the first time in over a year:

After installing the seat, albeit temporarily as I couldn't find the right bolts, we started it up.

. And it ran POORLY! However, I ran it for 25 minutes to break in the cam, during which I realized the tach was doing wonky things, which implied that there was an ignition problem.

So after the 25 minute break-in I shut it off and swapped ignition boxes. That made a huge difference, and

So, several questions:

:nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_jump::nabble_smiley_good: Sounds pretty good to me Gary, or at least a 100 times better than Eddy did at first start up. Can't help with your questions... But that fuel pressure regulator looks dodgy.

:nabble_anim_claps::nabble_anim_jump::nabble_smiley_good: Sounds pretty good to me Gary, or at least a 100 times better than Eddy did at first start up. Can't help with your questions... But that fuel pressure regulator looks dodgy.

Thanks, Rob. But how long did it take Eddy to clear up and settle down?

And you are right about the fuel pressure. Not sure what is going on there. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks, Rob. But how long did it take Eddy to clear up and settle down?

And you are right about the fuel pressure. Not sure what is going on there. :nabble_anim_confused:

With my timing issues it took numerous tries just to get the engine to keep running never mind settle. But by the time I was doing the break-in, while still running retarded, it was fine in my uneducated opinion. Now it is of course running much better, I was just blissfully ignorant at the time. Still, that big 460 sounds good to me, but I guess it would to someone with a 300, even if it is running rough.

With my timing issues it took numerous tries just to get the engine to keep running never mind settle. But by the time I was doing the break-in, while still running retarded, it was fine in my uneducated opinion. Now it is of course running much better, I was just blissfully ignorant at the time. Still, that big 460 sounds good to me, but I guess it would to someone with a 300, even if it is running rough.

Yaaayyyyy! :nabble_anim_claps:

So, several questions:

My first thought....Thats a georgeous truck....my 2nd thought....Its misfiring.

2nd video after ignition box switch, sounds better, but still not quite right.

Id start with making sure the timing and vacuum advance are all set right. No vacuum advance at idle, just your base timing.

My gut says its not timing or fuel. Its an ignition issue. I dont know what ignition you are running, but I heard a guy on this forum runs GM HEI on his ford and never has any ignition issues....:nabble_anim_blbl:

Id start with making sure the timing and vacuum advance are all set right. No vacuum advance at idle, just your base timing.

My gut says its not timing or fuel. Its an ignition issue. I dont know what ignition you are running, but I heard a guy on this forum runs GM HEI on his ford and never has any ignition issues....:nabble_anim_blbl:

Maybe try pulling a plug and run the truck while grounding the plug to see the color of the spark. If its yellow....maybe a failing coil.

The timing is set @ 12 BTDC and there's no vacuum at idle. But I don't know what the spark looks like. Obviously the one ignition box was bad. It was new, so did it fail due to the coil or was it bad initially? I don't know.