Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I was more thinking of it as being used beyond the present regulator to hold the pressure to the carburetor where it needs to be with the return still operational.
Looks like the regumlator is good. This test is with the return run into an empty gas can, and I was easily able to dial the pressure to the carb down to 5 psi.

Meanwhile I blew 30 psi air into the return and it went no where. IOW, the pressure just built up and blew back at me when I pulled the nozzle out.

So it looks like I have a bad fuel delivery module. I'm going to see if I can pull the return hose off the FDM and blow through the line itself to prove it isn't blocked.

Also, note that the pressure fluctuates at the end of the test. You can't really tell but the sound of the fuel pump changed as well. I'm not sure if that means it is sucking air, or if something else is going on.

Thoughts?

Looks like the regumlator is good. This test is with the return run into an empty gas can, and I was easily able to dial the pressure to the carb down to 5 psi.

Meanwhile I blew 30 psi air into the return and it went no where. IOW, the pressure just built up and blew back at me when I pulled the nozzle out.

So it looks like I have a bad fuel delivery module. I'm going to see if I can pull the return hose off the FDM and blow through the line itself to prove it isn't blocked.

Also, note that the pressure fluctuates at the end of the test. You can't really tell but the sound of the fuel pump changed as well. I'm not sure if that means it is sucking air, or if something else is going on.

Thoughts?

Looks good as far as the pressure regulator goes, on the pump change near the end, look back at the FDM functions, it needs the return fuel to act like the jet well pumps, the returning fuel is used to pull fuel into the FDM shell. Chrysler uses a similar system on my konvertible except the pump sits in a plastic open top "tub" the return line goes to a check valve inserted in a jet in the side of the tub closest to the tank center where it blows fuel up into the tub until it overflows.

Looks good as far as the pressure regulator goes, on the pump change near the end, look back at the FDM functions, it needs the return fuel to act like the jet well pumps, the returning fuel is used to pull fuel into the FDM shell. Chrysler uses a similar system on my konvertible except the pump sits in a plastic open top "tub" the return line goes to a check valve inserted in a jet in the side of the tub closest to the tank center where it blows fuel up into the tub until it overflows.

Bill - That's good to know about the pump. I'd read that, but didn't understand it. However, it makes more sense now. Thanks!

As for the next test, I popped the return off the front tank and then blew air through the return hose from the engine down and out at the front tank. No blockage. So the FDM is bad. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Actually that's the hardest bit to fix as the skid plate has to come off, then the tank has to be lowered. Oh well, y'all know where to find me. :nabble_smiley_super:

Actually that's the hardest bit to fix as the skid plate has to come off, then the tank has to be lowered. Oh well, y'all know where to find me. :nabble_smiley_super:

Peeling onion layers? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yep, stinking onion layers. Smells more like gasoline. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Just went on the Amazon site and said I needed to return this FDM and get another. Apparently the way I did it was wrong as when I got to the "buy" phase the price had gone from $83 to $117. I called Amazon and the lady there canceled the return, contacted the seller, and told them to replace it. No charge.

That will take a few days, but at least it is in the works. Meanwhile I've dropped the skid plate, but I don't think I'll lower the tank and take the FDM out until I have the new one - assuming I get it before returning this one. Otherwise I'll have even more gas fumes in the shop unless I tape the opening shut.

Have I mentioned how much I hate taking things apart that I just put together? :nabble_smiley_argh:

Yep, stinking onion layers. Smells more like gasoline. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Just went on the Amazon site and said I needed to return this FDM and get another. Apparently the way I did it was wrong as when I got to the "buy" phase the price had gone from $83 to $117. I called Amazon and the lady there canceled the return, contacted the seller, and told them to replace it. No charge.

That will take a few days, but at least it is in the works. Meanwhile I've dropped the skid plate, but I don't think I'll lower the tank and take the FDM out until I have the new one - assuming I get it before returning this one. Otherwise I'll have even more gas fumes in the shop unless I tape the opening shut.

Have I mentioned how much I hate taking things apart that I just put together? :nabble_smiley_argh:

The one I got from Matt for Darth was bad out of the box, wouldn't run. No problem with a replacement though.

The one I got from Matt for Darth was bad out of the box, wouldn't run. No problem with a replacement though.

Doesn't inspire confidence, does it? But the alternative, going with Motorcraft, is 4 times as much money! I guess I'll gamble.

Well, w/o the wherewithall to wrap up the fuel system I moved on to little things. First was getting the PDB back together and mounted after going on the hunt for the disconnect in power to the fuel pump.

Then I put the passenger's side fender liner back in/on, which had been taken loose to allow getting the HVAC plenum off and on. This time I included all of the intended fasteners for a change. Having realized that some of the fasteners on that side had been missing for some time I checked the driver's side. Yup, two of them were also missing - but aren't now. Maybe :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: has been defeated again?

Then it was to the PCV system. Jim & Bill know, although the rest of you might not, that the HD valve covers I have use a screw-in PCV valve. I haven't found a replacement, but this one appears to be ok so I'll use it. But I don't have the hose to connect it to a carb 'cause that never happened. So I found a 3/8" hose that will work, although I need a 90 degree hose barb as it won't clear the air cleaner since the valve point up and doesn't have the usual 90.

Doesn't inspire confidence, does it? But the alternative, going with Motorcraft, is 4 times as much money! I guess I'll gamble.

Well, w/o the wherewithall to wrap up the fuel system I moved on to little things. First was getting the PDB back together and mounted after going on the hunt for the disconnect in power to the fuel pump.

Then I put the passenger's side fender liner back in/on, which had been taken loose to allow getting the HVAC plenum off and on. This time I included all of the intended fasteners for a change. Having realized that some of the fasteners on that side had been missing for some time I checked the driver's side. Yup, two of them were also missing - but aren't now. Maybe http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg has been defeated again?

Then it was to the PCV system. Jim & Bill know, although the rest of you might not, that the HD valve covers I have use a screw-in PCV valve. I haven't found a replacement, but this one appears to be ok so I'll use it. But I don't have the hose to connect it to a carb 'cause that never happened. So I found a 3/8" hose that will work, although I need a 90 degree hose barb as it won't clear the air cleaner since the valve point up and doesn't have the usual 90.

Gary, I found a new valve for Darth's engine, I believe AutoZone had it. On the vacuum line to the plenum, it is a nice molded piece with one tee for the VMV connection. F3TZ-6C324-B

DSCN1230.thumb.jpg.71f3c646ed386035b2fa11e32e428e67.jpg

Gary, I found a new valve for Darth's engine, I believe AutoZone had it. On the vacuum line to the plenum, it is a nice molded piece with one tee for the VMV connection. F3TZ-6C324-B

Bill - Thanks. I found the valve on Amazon. It is a Standard Motor Products V326 PCV Valve and looks like this:

41QMCDM8RJL.jpg.ac78c64c138b846c6a522f8795b51c46.jpg

As for the hose, I have that same hose that you pictured. I'm sure it came from Jim. And it is for fresh air into the driver's side valve cover. Right? But since I won't have that inlet system until I go with EFI I'll have to run a hose from the fitting on the valve cover to a filter in the air cleaner.

Then there's the other hose, the one from the PCV valve into the intake. The EFI hose from the PCV valve goes to the upper plenum. But obviously for a carb'd application it needs to go to the base of the carb. And since that PCV valve goes up and doesn't make a right angle I'm going to put a right angle hose barb just above the valve and then route the hose to the carb's base.

Bill - Thanks. I found the valve on Amazon. It is a Standard Motor Products V326 PCV Valve and looks like this:

As for the hose, I have that same hose that you pictured. I'm sure it came from Jim. And it is for fresh air into the driver's side valve cover. Right? But since I won't have that inlet system until I go with EFI I'll have to run a hose from the fitting on the valve cover to a filter in the air cleaner.

Then there's the other hose, the one from the PCV valve into the intake. The EFI hose from the PCV valve goes to the upper plenum. But obviously for a carb'd application it needs to go to the base of the carb. And since that PCV valve goes up and doesn't make a right angle I'm going to put a right angle hose barb just above the valve and then route the hose to the carb's base.

Gary, that line is from the PCV valve to the plenum, the extra nipple goes to the VMV (Vapor Management Valve).