Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yep, it is wonderful! We leave Monday on the GOAT, so if it really comes in on Sunday it'll get to go with us. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Well, got a few things done on/for Big Blue over the last few days, although most of the time has been spent on forum and website issues. (We are progressing on getting the forum on the AWS servers, but it is taking a LOT of time.)

One thing is that I got a notification today from FedEx that there was a change in the delivery date on the console. I held my breath and opened the email - it is to be delivered tomorrow! :nabble_anim_jump:

Another is that I strapped the Hilift jack to the spare tire since I don't have the bumper to put it on - yet:

Hilift_Jack_On_Spare_Tire.thumb.jpg.b3708f1d83ab98fd81fc141f21cd5052.jpg

Then I printed out the fuse positions chart, laminated that, and glued it to the fuse box cover. That's because several of the fuses I'm using aren't shown on the cover. And I printed out the fuse allocation and ratings table that shows what each fuse does and what size it should be. That, plus other documentation is now in a little 3-ring binder that goes under the driver's seat.

But, I still have to update the PDB wiring diagram. And I need to complete the list I've started that tells what parts have been used so people can maintain it in the future.

Documentation_Notebook.thumb.jpg.cb684cd63ed9a89795ce8832bdbdb6c3.jpg

Well, got a few things done on/for Big Blue over the last few days, although most of the time has been spent on forum and website issues. (We are progressing on getting the forum on the AWS servers, but it is taking a LOT of time.)

One thing is that I got a notification today from FedEx that there was a change in the delivery date on the console. I held my breath and opened the email - it is to be delivered tomorrow! :nabble_anim_jump:

Another is that I strapped the Hilift jack to the spare tire since I don't have the bumper to put it on - yet:

Then I printed out the fuse positions chart, laminated that, and glued it to the fuse box cover. That's because several of the fuses I'm using aren't shown on the cover. And I printed out the fuse allocation and ratings table that shows what each fuse does and what size it should be. That, plus other documentation is now in a little 3-ring binder that goes under the driver's seat.

But, I still have to update the PDB wiring diagram. And I need to complete the list I've started that tells what parts have been used so people can maintain it in the future.

I've checked BB over stem to stern and am sure he's ready to tackle the GOAT. And my inspection determined that the brake leak appears to have been fixed with the last tightening I did of the line going into the splitter at the rear. I say that because we put over 200 miles on it a week ago and the bit of blue paper towel that is wrapped around that fitting is still dry.

However, I still have some very minor drips from the power steering system, but I'm not too worried about them at the present.

But, the console won't make it in today. FedEx re-revised the estimate and it is now supposed to be in tomorrow.

Also coming tomorrow is a smaller rivnut tool. Turns out that the other one I have only goes down to M8 or 1/4-20 and I want to install some rivnuts to install the mike holder and cord hook for the GMRS radio using smaller screws. I already have the rivnuts, but no adapter for the tool I have, and adapters are ~$10/each. So it was less expensive to buy another tool with the adapters. But this one is also a one-handed unit, so it'll be easier to use on the Highliner.

I played with some plastic like the Highliner is made of and was able to manually set a 10-32 rivnut using this setup: rivnut; 1/4-20 nut w/serrated lockwasher; 3 flat washers; regular 10-32 nut - all on a 10-32 screw. Hold the 1/4" nut firmly against the rivnut with a wrench to keep it from turning and turn the #10 nut with another wrench to expand the rivnut.

It worked fine, but it is hard to tell when to stop, is fiddly, and takes both hands, which might be a problem up over my head. But the rivnuts did expand in the plastic w/o breaking it, and the holes I drilled were just big enough for the rivnut to slip in.

71Fb8Npf5dS.thumb.jpg.674cdceafb7ebf346b40f629d7210ffd.jpg

I've checked BB over stem to stern and am sure he's ready to tackle the GOAT. And my inspection determined that the brake leak appears to have been fixed with the last tightening I did of the line going into the splitter at the rear. I say that because we put over 200 miles on it a week ago and the bit of blue paper towel that is wrapped around that fitting is still dry.

However, I still have some very minor drips from the power steering system, but I'm not too worried about them at the present.

But, the console won't make it in today. FedEx re-revised the estimate and it is now supposed to be in tomorrow.

Also coming tomorrow is a smaller rivnut tool. Turns out that the other one I have only goes down to M8 or 1/4-20 and I want to install some rivnuts to install the mike holder and cord hook for the GMRS radio using smaller screws. I already have the rivnuts, but no adapter for the tool I have, and adapters are ~$10/each. So it was less expensive to buy another tool with the adapters. But this one is also a one-handed unit, so it'll be easier to use on the Highliner.

I played with some plastic like the Highliner is made of and was able to manually set a 10-32 rivnut using this setup: rivnut; 1/4-20 nut w/serrated lockwasher; 3 flat washers; regular 10-32 nut - all on a 10-32 screw. Hold the 1/4" nut firmly against the rivnut with a wrench to keep it from turning and turn the #10 nut with another wrench to expand the rivnut.

It worked fine, but it is hard to tell when to stop, is fiddly, and takes both hands, which might be a problem up over my head. But the rivnuts did expand in the plastic w/o breaking it, and the holes I drilled were just big enough for the rivnut to slip in.

Great! Enjoy the trip!

Great! Enjoy the trip!

Thanks! We are really looking forward to it.

Oh yes, I forgot to include a pic of the cover to the fuse box to show how I've done that. Three of the fuses I've used aren't shown on the cover because they weren't used in '85. But I added them and wanted to make sure that people can find the correct fuse if there is a problem.

Fusebox_Fuse_Allocations.thumb.jpg.b62208e914d659b11086f0280bd20c08.jpg

Oh yes, I forgot to include a pic of the cover to the fuse box to show how I've done that. Three of the fuses I've used aren't shown on the cover because they weren't used in '85. But I added them and wanted to make sure that people can find the correct fuse if there is a problem.

Got a few more things done, and I'm gonna say Big Blue is READY!

First, the rivnut tool is now delayed until the 8th, so I put the mike holder on with sheet metal screws. Then I cast about for "the right way" to hold the mike cord, and decided that I could modify the sun visor clips to work. Just imagine these as black, which they will become after we get back, but here they are on the left with a pair of unmodified ones on the right:

Cord_Holders_-_Side_View.thumb.jpg.b00181018b8e961c7f9acc25ba64726a.jpg

And here's how they fit:

Mike__Cord_Holders_Installed.thumb.jpg.dc1812d8a861ccafe8157cc26e03585e.jpg

Last, about the time I got that done FedEx delivered the console. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Console_In_Place.thumb.jpg.d9e562c6c96ec8740fae0ae43d9529f7.jpg

Gary, now that I see you have the hi lift, do you have the bolt on attachment that allows you to hook onto wheels? It helps a lot on trucks with a lot of suspension travel.