Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Boy, do I have news! GOOD news! I finally got the rear seal for the t-case and installed it today, so we were able to take the truck for a test drive. And the first thing to report is that the noise in the front end is much diminished, so the spring sliders and liner really helped.

Second, the speedometer works perfectly. I used a GPS app on my phone and the speedo shows within 1 MPH of what we were actually doing. And, it is steady. No more bouncing, just a nice steady readout.

Third, the speed control works very well! I'm still running the exact same setup as the last test, meaning the .105" jet between the control valves and the servo, the extra vacuum reservoir, and the same servo and amplifier. So I don't really know what fixed it, but I'm guessing the slipping speedometer driven gear was a big part of it. We took it out west on the same stretch of steep hills we've been testing on, and rarely felt it change the throttle as it was smooth. I will probably still try Bill's red Taurus module, and I'll try pulling the extra reservoir, so there will be more testing.

Last, the spring change made a tremendous change in the ride. Bumps that hurt don't any more. And the overall ride is much improved. It really feels like a different truck. In fact, the steering is improved as apparently the back end that was causing some bump-steer. I'm sold and will be ordering the 12" RuffStuff u-bolts in a few minutes.

And, not part of the testing but definitely part of today's work, I got the reservoir bracket welded up. Still need to drill a few holes and then blast and powder coat it, but it is gonna work. Here are a couple of shots of it.

Well you had a great day then, good for you! Nice to overcome and accomplish so many things.

That’s great! Brackets are looking good!

Shaun - I'll put it together and see before I cut anything. Maybe their nuts and washers take up more room than the ones I have.

John - Yes, it was nice for several things to work out so well in one go. It felt REALLY good.

Dane - Thanks. I really like making things, and the bracket has been a fun exercise.

While waiting for the u-bolts to come in I'm going to go ahead and move the reservoir, rewire the washer pump, and then temporarily mount the air cleaner box. That will let me determine where the EFI PDB should go and then figure out where I can put the battery isolator.

But I'll have to implement the EFI PDB to some extent so I can move the trailer and fuel pump relays into it. That will let me clean up the firewall area and properly position the aux power relay, which will then let me make the power cabling.

Once that is done I can then add a relay to the EFI PDB for the fog lights and, finally, wire up the switches above the radio.

Man, this is a chess game!

Shaun - I'll put it together and see before I cut anything. Maybe their nuts and washers take up more room than the ones I have.

John - Yes, it was nice for several things to work out so well in one go. It felt REALLY good.

Dane - Thanks. I really like making things, and the bracket has been a fun exercise.

While waiting for the u-bolts to come in I'm going to go ahead and move the reservoir, rewire the washer pump, and then temporarily mount the air cleaner box. That will let me determine where the EFI PDB should go and then figure out where I can put the battery isolator.

But I'll have to implement the EFI PDB to some extent so I can move the trailer and fuel pump relays into it. That will let me clean up the firewall area and properly position the aux power relay, which will then let me make the power cabling.

Once that is done I can then add a relay to the EFI PDB for the fog lights and, finally, wire up the switches above the radio.

Man, this is a chess game!

Got the reservoir bracket powder coated today:

Reservoir_Bracket_Powder_Coated.thumb.jpg.65f733edcda4fdb6dae5d7e7e847dedd.jpg

And then, as I was taking the real reservoir out to move it over I realized that there is a support bracket under the reservoir and that I probably needed one. Sure enough, I put the reservoir in place and it needed support. With some measuring I found that I needed a 3/8" spacer. Turned out that I had a piece of aluminum that would work, although not exactly rectangular. But, cut to fit it'll work, so I put it in place, marked through a couple of the holes already in the fender liner, and drilled the aluminum and tapped it 1/4-20.

Here's the plate in place and next to it the real reservoir in place. And, it and the PDB are solid! But tomorrow I'll powder coat the plate to ensure it doesn't corrode, cut the stainless washer-head cap screws to length, and put it all together. (Yes, Jim, I'll use Loctite 56747 PST. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I've already moved the washer hose over and have started running the coolant hose, so then I'll just have to move the washer wiring over and I'll have the reservoir moved and in service.

Reservoir_Spacer_In_Place.thumb.jpg.a709e2e7e7b682bcf560db2f3d1bf17b.jpgReal_Reservoir_In_Place_On_Spacer.thumb.jpg.1dd6c12f1bd452dea7a0422eb6915d35.jpg

Got the reservoir bracket powder coated today:

And then, as I was taking the real reservoir out to move it over I realized that there is a support bracket under the reservoir and that I probably needed one. Sure enough, I put the reservoir in place and it needed support. With some measuring I found that I needed a 3/8" spacer. Turned out that I had a piece of aluminum that would work, although not exactly rectangular. But, cut to fit it'll work, so I put it in place, marked through a couple of the holes already in the fender liner, and drilled the aluminum and tapped it 1/4-20.

Here's the plate in place and next to it the real reservoir in place. And, it and the PDB are solid! But tomorrow I'll powder coat the plate to ensure it doesn't corrode, cut the stainless washer-head cap screws to length, and put it all together. (Yes, Jim, I'll use Loctite 56747 PST. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I've already moved the washer hose over and have started running the coolant hose, so then I'll just have to move the washer wiring over and I'll have the reservoir moved and in service.

Looks good, Gary. Curious, how long did it take to powder coat that bracket? And, how long after it comes out of the oven can you use it?

Looks good, Gary. Curious, how long did it take to powder coat that bracket? And, how long after it comes out of the oven can you use it?

Sounds like someone is peeking in the rabbit hole. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Can be used as soon as it's cool enough to handle.

Yeah....lol! I've gone back and fourth on this. The process is messy and while an oven can be made and affordable, I've got no place in my shop to put it. I know, I'll just take my stuff to Gary's Place....:nabble_smiley_happy:

Sounds like someone is peeking in the rabbit hole. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Can be used as soon as it's cool enough to handle.

Yeah....lol! I've gone back and fourth on this. The process is messy and while an oven can be made and affordable, I've got no place in my shop to put it. I know, I'll just take my stuff to Gary's Place....:nabble_smiley_happy:

Definitely depends upon the setup/space you have available or can make available. If not planned out, I could see it being considered messy but it really doesn't take but a couple tarps and it is well contained.

And you can do a lot, and I mean a lot, of the parts on these trucks in a normal Craigslist kitchen oven.

But going to Gary's sounds like a great plan :nabble_smiley_wink:

Speaking of - looking great Gary!

Definitely depends upon the setup/space you have available or can make available. If not planned out, I could see it being considered messy but it really doesn't take but a couple tarps and it is well contained.

And you can do a lot, and I mean a lot, of the parts on these trucks in a normal Craigslist kitchen oven.

I know he does some nice work, I have 3 valve covers, an intake and plenum, top hardware for my convertible, thermostat housing and valve cover bolts he did for me.

John - The best setup is a blast cabinet where you get the parts CLEAN, a powder coating booth where the extra powder is sucked into a dust collector, and a dedicated oven.

Today it probably took me 15 minutes, max, to blast the bracket and get all traces of old paint off of the parts. Then I hung it in the booth and washed it down with brake cleaner and dried that off with a heat gun. Maybe 10 more minutes to apply the powder and hang it in the oven, so a total of 30 minutes there.

Then the oven takes 20 - 30 minutes to heat up to 420 degrees, at which time I set a timer for 20 minutes and "bake" the part at 400 degrees. Then turn the oven off and open the door slightly to let it cool. After 15 more minutes open the door fully. And as Scott said, as soon as it is cool enough to handle it is ready for use.

All in all maybe 2 hours from starting to media blast the part until it is usable.

Thanks, Scott!