Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Check out PIAA alsohttps://www.piaa.com/store/car-truck-lights.aspx
I'll do that, Scott. Thanks. I'm not at all ready to buy but the discussion re what legend to put on the switch got me to thinking about the lights I want to use.

As for what I've done today as I get ready for another ROAD TRIP tomorrow, I did some wiring on the power box. Here's a test thereof:

And I also made a short bullet/1/4" female jumper and used that to install the ash tray and charger. It'll do until I get switched power.

Ash_Tray_Closed.thumb.jpg.6cf92f853b3cdec10016e5dacb933b1c.jpgAsh_Tray_Open.thumb.jpg.3d15d40d1635f354e56f4541aeab0480.jpg

.... Does "fog" mean they have a sharp cutoff at the top? Is it fair to assume that other brands do as well?

I can't imaging a "fog light" working well in fog if it didn't have a sharp cutoff at the top (which keeps light from going up where it's more likely to reflect back at you). So in my mind, yes, "fog" means a sharp cutoff at the top.

Is it fair to assume that other brands do as well? In my experience with about 8 sets of "fog lights" in my life (who knows what brands at this point, but I know there was one set of Warns and at least one set of Deltas) they've all had a sharp cutoff at the top. So it would seem to be a fair assumption. But then again, I'd have thought it would be a fair assumption that "flood lights" would flood light over an area rather than focus it in a 25 deg angle like Rigid says. So I'm not going to go too far out on that limb.

By the way, you had asked earlier about how far out my lights are aimed. The lenses are angled out about 30 degrees off straight ahead.

I'll do that, Scott. Thanks. I'm not at all ready to buy but the discussion re what legend to put on the switch got me to thinking about the lights I want to use.

As for what I've done today as I get ready for another ROAD TRIP tomorrow, I did some wiring on the power box. Here's a test thereof:

And I also made a short bullet/1/4" female jumper and used that to install the ash tray and charger. It'll do until I get switched power.

Gary, on fog lights, both of my Flexes have the factory fog lights, they are low in the front bumper cover (below the actual bumper bar) and seem to work very well. When I brought the whit one home the CBBT was pretty well socked in so I turned them on, definitely helped.

Gary, on fog lights, both of my Flexes have the factory fog lights, they are low in the front bumper cover (below the actual bumper bar) and seem to work very well. When I brought the whit one home the CBBT was pretty well socked in so I turned them on, definitely helped.

One of the things that I found out in trucking on the I-5 from Oregon down through the central valley in California in the tullie fog was that the lower the fog lights the better the affect in the heavy fog.

One of the things that I found out in trucking on the I-5 from Oregon down through the central valley in California in the tullie fog was that the lower the fog lights the better the affect in the heavy fog.

A lot of discussion of using fog lights in fog here. That's fine, but I don't drive in fog much and I still really like using "fog lights" to light up areas that the headlights miss (mostly off to both sides). For that use I like fog lights mounted with the top of the light no higher than the bottom of the windows of most cars. That way I can aim them straight horizontally and they don't hit other drivers' eyes. The top of the bumper, even on my lifted Bronco, is fine for that. Lower may well be better for use in fog, but that's not a usage I really need and I'm not really speaking to. So take my suggestions with that background in mind.

A lot of discussion of using fog lights in fog here. That's fine, but I don't drive in fog much and I still really like using "fog lights" to light up areas that the headlights miss (mostly off to both sides). For that use I like fog lights mounted with the top of the light no higher than the bottom of the windows of most cars. That way I can aim them straight horizontally and they don't hit other drivers' eyes. The top of the bumper, even on my lifted Bronco, is fine for that. Lower may well be better for use in fog, but that's not a usage I really need and I'm not really speaking to. So take my suggestions with that background in mind.

Bill - I can see you having fog problems there near the water. And I know Chris is frequently antsy when he comes to the show in the fall about the possibility of running into fog coming from Colorado. But we don't have much of it here, although that doesn't mean that I don't want to have lights that will help with it.

Bob - Got it. I understand your comments in the context of using the lights more for lighting your way than for getting under fog. But that raises a question of height - I think you are saying that you want the upper cutoff of your lights to be horizontal? Right? And that you want that to be below the eye level of on-coming drivers. Correct? If those understandings are correct then is there an issue if the lights are lower?

I ask because Janey and I had a conversation about this and I mentioned not cutting the bumper. Her response was "Why worry about it? Do what you want with the bumper, it isn't as if you are going to be selling it." And that then brings me back to the idea of installing lights "in", or more correctly "behind", the bumper. As said, there's a substantial piece of angle that runs out to the end of the bumper, so I could cut a hole in the bumper and actually mount the light to the brace so it shoots through the bumper. That would put the center of the lights 30" off the road.

I'm not saying that's what I want to do, but I'm exploring possibilities.

Bill - I can see you having fog problems there near the water. And I know Chris is frequently antsy when he comes to the show in the fall about the possibility of running into fog coming from Colorado. But we don't have much of it here, although that doesn't mean that I don't want to have lights that will help with it.

Bob - Got it. I understand your comments in the context of using the lights more for lighting your way than for getting under fog. But that raises a question of height - I think you are saying that you want the upper cutoff of your lights to be horizontal? Right? And that you want that to be below the eye level of on-coming drivers. Correct? If those understandings are correct then is there an issue if the lights are lower?

I ask because Janey and I had a conversation about this and I mentioned not cutting the bumper. Her response was "Why worry about it? Do what you want with the bumper, it isn't as if you are going to be selling it." And that then brings me back to the idea of installing lights "in", or more correctly "behind", the bumper. As said, there's a substantial piece of angle that runs out to the end of the bumper, so I could cut a hole in the bumper and actually mount the light to the brace so it shoots through the bumper. That would put the center of the lights 30" off the road.

Gary, it appears there are holes on the Warn bumper for mounting a license plate. If so, could you use something like this? It is inexpensive and can be removed if desired.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Universal-License-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B083VXQKZ2/ref=asc_df_B083VXQKZ2/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520390619134&psc=1

Bill - I can see you having fog problems there near the water. And I know Chris is frequently antsy when he comes to the show in the fall about the possibility of running into fog coming from Colorado. But we don't have much of it here, although that doesn't mean that I don't want to have lights that will help with it.Bob - Got it. I understand your comments in the context of using the lights more for lighting your way than for getting under fog. But that raises a question of height - I think you are saying that you want the upper cutoff of your lights to be horizontal? Right? And that you want that to be below the eye level of on-coming drivers. Correct? If those understandings are correct then is there an issue if the lights are lower?I ask because Janey and I had a conversation about this and I mentioned not cutting the bumper. Her response was "Why worry about it? Do what you want with the bumper, it isn't as if you are going to be selling it." And that then brings me back to the idea of installing lights "in", or more correctly "behind", the bumper. As said, there's a substantial piece of angle that runs out to the end of the bumper, so I could cut a hole in the bumper and actually mount the light to the brace so it shoots through the bumper. That would put the center of the lights 30" off the road. I'm not saying that's what I want to do, but I'm exploring possibilities.
Ok, it is official. The switches are on order and it will take 2 - 3 business days to send them out. :nabble_anim_jump:

Let me say that if you are ever in the market for switches the people at OTRATTW are outstanding. Today I talked to Jim and he patiently guided me through the options. And I got exactly what I wanted.

.... Bob - Got it. I understand your comments in the context of using the lights more for lighting your way than for getting under fog. But that raises a question of height - I think you are saying that you want the upper cutoff of your lights to be horizontal? Right? And that you want that to be below the eye level of on-coming drivers. Correct?

Yes and yes (or actually below side-view mirror level to avoid blinding the guy ahead of me)

If those understandings are correct then is there an issue if the lights are lower?

Probably not much.

More so than height, the bigger things for me there would be the horizontal angle and just the aesthetics (which obviously are subjective and personal).

On the angle, I have my lights pointing out about 30 deg. I think you said your bumper is angled out at the ends by about 14 deg. That wouldn't aim the lights out as far as I'd want (not saying it wouldn't work for you, just that it's not what I'd want). Also, unless the lights stuck out past the front of the bumper they'd be shining out of a "tunnel" that would likely cut off some of the very wide beam. Having the hole wider than the light would minimize that. But angling the light more than the 14 deg behind the bumper would exacerbate it. Anyway, that would be a downside to me.

On the aesthetics, I don't think I'd be able to cut a hole in a bumper that I'd like the look of, especially if I was looking to keep it chrome (but even if I was planning on painting it). Couple that with my liking the look of the lights mounted on top of the bumper and that's what I'd do (and have done), drill holes in the top of the bumper. But again, that's just my preference on appearance, you may like something completely different. And you may have a much better way to make and finish the holes than I'd come up with.

David - I like that mount. Will file that one away.

Just more of my opinion-

I like driving lights over fog lights. Similar region of the country as Gary and on the occasions I drive in fog, the low beams work well enough.

Definitely pros and cons to all mounting locations. A mix of looks, protection (for the light), and optimal light output/spread. If there isn't one location that satisfies all of those for you then it's a matter of priority.

Janey is spot on - it's yours so if that is your ideal location, then it's the right one. For me, sure I wouldn't cut the bumper but as I said above, a lot of that is taste. I like the 80's look with the lights mounted above the bumper.

A couple other reasons I wouldn't cut it is that you are a kind of stuck with the light shape you choose initially. Sure you could go bigger and recut but then you can't easily go smaller. Not saying anything is impossible but it's a lot different than just a mounting bolt and nut.

The second being that you can't change the beam direction in a pinch. If you have have them bolted on top and in an emergency needed to focus the beam off the the side you can just grab them and twist.

The box is looking and working great!