Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Rob - I've always had kick panels there. I'm just now installing the vents. So if you could look at yours to see if I'm missing something in there I'd appreciate it. But it isn't critical - I can wait a day or two.

Checked, mine is the same. So you had 'full' kick panels without the vents before? I know not all trucks have the vents, but I haven't seen what that looks like.

Of course with the vents open you don't see it(whatever it is), which is how mine are most of the time. Winter should be different, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with...

Scott - That should work if I can figure out what to stick it to. Will look in a bit.

Dane - Thanks!

If going the tape route, looks like you could apply it to either the cab or the vent itself. If on the vent side you'd want to stick some tape to itself (except for the ends where it attaches) so it doesn't attract dust or stick the the sliding door. Black duct tape would be a quick solution.

If going the tape route, looks like you could apply it to either the cab or the vent itself. If on the vent side you'd want to stick some tape to itself (except for the ends where it attaches) so it doesn't attract dust or stick the the sliding door. Black duct tape would be a quick solution.

I'll check it out, Scott. I need to pull that vent anyway to check out the foam on the back, and maybe paint it to match.

Speaking of painting, today's tally includes the 2nd rear corner panel, the 2nd door panel, the arm rests, the sun visors which were brown, and the clips the sun visors snap into. And for the record, that's just about used up the 2nd can of 4130 Regatta Blue.

Hopefully I can do the dash pad and cover tomorrow and maybe have enough left over to do the A-pillar trim. Plus, some of the metal trim is showing its age.

I'll check it out, Scott. I need to pull that vent anyway to check out the foam on the back, and maybe paint it to match.

Speaking of painting, today's tally includes the 2nd rear corner panel, the 2nd door panel, the arm rests, the sun visors which were brown, and the clips the sun visors snap into. And for the record, that's just about used up the 2nd can of 4130 Regatta Blue.

Hopefully I can do the dash pad and cover tomorrow and maybe have enough left over to do the A-pillar trim. Plus, some of the metal trim is showing its age.

Well the foam needs to be replaced where the kick panel vents go up against the truck, but it looks like the foam inside the vents is ok. So I just scrubbed them with a toothbrush and Dawn and I think they'll be fine w/o painting.

Here's the before:

PS_Kick_Panel_Vent_-_It_Fits!.thumb.jpg.5b3eee2a10f81e4a956c1fcfe1d97b83.jpg

Here are the two strips of Gorilla Tape I put on, with the top strip overlapping the metal about 3/16" on the top, so it isn't coming loose:

Gorilla_Tape_At_Kick_Panel.thumb.jpg.c1d6fb249f27f6636af77ae9934651bc.jpg

And, here's the result: :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gorilla_Tape_Behind_Kick_Panel_Vent.thumb.jpg.78f7c80e6410f3d7aefa5428e848bb50.jpg

Well the foam needs to be replaced where the kick panel vents go up against the truck, but it looks like the foam inside the vents is ok. So I just scrubbed them with a toothbrush and Dawn and I think they'll be fine w/o painting.

Here's the before:

Here are the two strips of Gorilla Tape I put on, with the top strip overlapping the metal about 3/16" on the top, so it isn't coming loose:

And, here's the result: :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yippee! The Highliner has shipped from JBG! :nabble_anim_jump:

Glad I'm working on the interior trim as I should have it all done before the Highliner gets here and I should be ready to install it then. Just a bit more, like the dash pad/cover, the A-pillar trim, and maybe a dusting on the kick panel vents as they are UV faded a bit and now's the time if ever.

So, and this is to me, I just need to get all the pieces in save for the metal trim around the edges of the headliner before installing the Highliner. Then the metal trim goes on. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yippee! The Highliner has shipped from JBG! :nabble_anim_jump:

Glad I'm working on the interior trim as I should have it all done before the Highliner gets here and I should be ready to install it then. Just a bit more, like the dash pad/cover, the A-pillar trim, and maybe a dusting on the kick panel vents as they are UV faded a bit and now's the time if ever.

So, and this is to me, I just need to get all the pieces in save for the metal trim around the edges of the headliner before installing the Highliner. Then the metal trim goes on. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Rob - On the Highliner, can I install it and then mount the GMRS radio fairly easily w/o removing the Highliner? I'll bring power and ground up there and provide a connector out for the antenna - although I haven't figured that one out yet.

Rob - On the Highliner, can I install it and then mount the GMRS radio fairly easily w/o removing the Highliner? I'll bring power and ground up there and provide a connector out for the antenna - although I haven't figured that one out yet.

Belay that! I realized that I can't put the Highliner in until I have the coax connector in the back of the cab. And, even with the connector in I'll also need the antenna so I can splice the connectors into its lead-in.

So, I ordered the Midland ORMXT115VP MICROMOBILE®-GXT BUNDLE. Then I ordered this weatherproof BNC bulkhead connector and this weatherproof male connector.

That should let me install the highliner and finish up the interior trim. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Belay that! I realized that I can't put the Highliner in until I have the coax connector in the back of the cab. And, even with the connector in I'll also need the antenna so I can splice the connectors into its lead-in.

So, I ordered the Midland ORMXT115VP MICROMOBILE®-GXT BUNDLE. Then I ordered this weatherproof BNC bulkhead connector and this weatherproof male connector.

That should let me install the highliner and finish up the interior trim. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Gary, you ordered a headliner replacement Highliner right? I think the installation process will be a bit more involved than mine, yours will probably go in underneath all your trim(guessing), whereas I have no other trim apart from the supporting metal piece.

Gary, you ordered a headliner replacement Highliner right? I think the installation process will be a bit more involved than mine, yours will probably go in underneath all your trim(guessing), whereas I have no other trim apart from the supporting metal piece.

Yes, it is for a truck that came with a headliner. So the metal trim at the top should go on after the Highliner installs.

Yes, it is for a truck that came with a headliner. So the metal trim at the top should go on after the Highliner installs.

Well, several steps forward and one backward is still progress.

First, I installed a 2.5 second LRC voltage regulator in the alternator because I've been getting a belt squeal on startup. Apparently the serpentine belt can't handle the sudden load when the regulator sees the voltage down a bit from starting.

So when I got it installed I left the lights on for 5 minutes before starting the truck. And in spite of that there was NO squeal! In fact, I watched as the voltage came up smoothly to 14v.

As for the painting, I cleaned and painted the brown door handle grommets. They aren't perfect, but will be a lot better than the ugly cutouts in the door panels for the handles. And I painted the kick panel vents as well as the A-pillar trim.

Here are some pics, and despite the color differences, they are really all the same.

Door_Handle_Grommets.thumb.jpg.81c3ddb78f9b83016f648752fcf503a6.jpg

Arm_Rests.thumb.jpg.626ea8a0cc6103b6821e87e335edb16b.jpg

Sunvisors.thumb.jpg.023446a131091e41cd8f88a52970c5ff.jpg

But, speaking of the dash cover, I pulled the dash pad off and here 'tis with all of its warts:

Old_Dash_Pad_-_Before.thumb.jpg.2f9d7154b5ae8b05ffd08b416b0782ea.jpg

So I poked out the speaker holes, which just almost fell out:

Speaker_Holes_Gone_From_Dash_Pad.thumb.jpg.379c13171d56b284f4c2cc70824bece1.jpg

Then I pulled out the Coverlay dash cover that Vernon sent with Big Blue, and found a minor problem. So, I have another one on order from LMC 'cause their price is $119 for a black one vs $159 with JBG for any color. And, since I have the paint I went for black.

I still have the metal trim I want to paint since it has some scrapes and bare spots, but I'm going to wait until the dash cover comes in and I get it painted. That way I'll know how much of the 3rd, and last, can of paint I have left.

Broken_Coverlay_Dash_Cover.thumb.jpg.4652be7578cf25549468e327f8b0604b.jpg