Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ok, I WAS WRONG! I do not have a black boot. Or, more precisely, I do but it won't fit. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Turns out that there are two styles, and it looks like the new style started in '83 given the all new part numbers for that year. Looks to me like the '80 - 82 trucks used a flat "boot" with a plastic plate behind it. Here's the inside and outside views for Dad's original door handle boots:

But the later door panels don't have the studs for retaining that style boot. Instead, they are just plain, as shown on the left, and take the style boot shown on the right:

And I have those two boots, although they are the worse for wear. And, I have a pair of blue ones, but they are so hard and so well stuck to the absolutely GROSS blue panels that I know they'll break if I try harder to remove them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, I'm still in the market, but for $46/ea and the wrong color to boot, I might paint these brown ones and see what happens. At least they cover the edge of the door panel.

But thanks, David. I appreciate it.

I have the later style boots on my 1984 doors and they are hard as rocks and cracked/broken. I don’t know if any aftermarket replacements but I’d anybody finds them let me know.

Hey, whatever happened to Keith Dickson? He was going to be looking into new part suggestions wasn’t he?

I have the later style boots on my 1984 doors and they are hard as rocks and cracked/broken. I don’t know if any aftermarket replacements but I’d anybody finds them let me know.

Hey, whatever happened to Keith Dickson? He was going to be looking into new part suggestions wasn’t he?

I looked through LMC and JBG's web sites today and couldn't find the boots. I have a feeling that I'll wind up painting these brown ones. Which is another need for the SEM black.

As for Keith, I'll ask him to chime in..... :nabble_anim_working:

But, I either need to find black arm rests or paint these.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n78486/Door_Panel_Comparison.jpg

Aftermarket armrest pads[LMC]:

https://media.lmctruck.com/pdf/FD/0056.pdf

Thanks, David. I might buy those. We shall see.

I say that because I'm torn with whether to paint the panels blue or leave them black. On the one hand the other factory trim is going to be blue - and I have three cans of expensive paint telling me that. So that says maybe I should paint the door panels blue.

On the other hand, the Highliner will be black, so maybe the black door panels will be fine. And, if I go with black right now I can always come back and paint them. But it would be hard to take the paint off.

So, as of right now, I'm planning on installing the door panels as they are - black.

Thanks, David. I might buy those. We shall see.

I say that because I'm torn with whether to paint the panels blue or leave them black. On the one hand the other factory trim is going to be blue - and I have three cans of expensive paint telling me that. So that says maybe I should paint the door panels blue.

On the other hand, the Highliner will be black, so maybe the black door panels will be fine. And, if I go with black right now I can always come back and paint them. But it would be hard to take the paint off.

So, as of right now, I'm planning on installing the door panels as they are - black.

High dollar NOS for driver's side:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1980-1986-FORD-F100-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-LH-DOOR-PANEL-ARMREST-BLACK/391702528107?hash=item5b334a406b:g:k-8AAOSwmLlX-2aE

Yipes!!!! I'll be happy with the LMC ones if I decide to go that way.

I'm temp installing the passenger's side pieces and will ask my consultant to come out and help me decide. But she is going to see the ugliness of the badly faded panels, so it will be obvious something needs to be done........

That Janey is a keeper! :nabble_anim_claps:
Absolutely! I thank God for her daily!

And, her opinion, which is shared by me, is to paint the door panel blue.

Here's how we got there:
  1. All Blue: The kick panels and rear corner panels must be painted as they are gross, and the new dash cover must be painted as well. So paint them blue and the door panel blue and I'm done. It will all match.

Blue & Black: Paint everything blue but leave the door black. Seems odd. And I have to buy new arm rests or paint these.

All Black: When painting paint the kick panels, rear corner panels, dash cover, arm rests, and even the metal trim that goes above the windshield, below & above the back glass, and above the doors black. And, probably have to paint the door panels as the black won't match. Oh yes, don't forget the map pockets. But, the dash itself will still be blue, and while new cars have a dash with color and the cover is black, it just seems odd.

When thinking through it we realized how much more work there would be to go all black. And the blue/black combo seems odd.

Black_Door_Panel__Blue_Elsewhere.thumb.jpg.82baf745dfe8183e41c993c81871c3d0.jpg

That Janey is a keeper! :nabble_anim_claps:
Absolutely! I thank God for her daily!

And, her opinion, which is shared by me, is to paint the door panel blue.

Here's how we got there:
  1. All Blue: The kick panels and rear corner panels must be painted as they are gross, and the new dash cover must be painted as well. So paint them blue and the door panel blue and I'm done. It will all match.

Blue & Black: Paint everything blue but leave the door black. Seems odd. And I have to buy new arm rests or paint these.

All Black: When painting paint the kick panels, rear corner panels, dash cover, arm rests, and even the metal trim that goes above the windshield, below & above the back glass, and above the doors black. And, probably have to paint the door panels as the black won't match. Oh yes, don't forget the map pockets. But, the dash itself will still be blue, and while new cars have a dash with color and the cover is black, it just seems odd.

When thinking through it we realized how much more work there would be to go all black. And the blue/black combo seems odd.

Gary, what color it that lower carpet/map pocket? Looks gray? Tell me about the SEM paint for your interior. Is that spray can or something that has to be mixed? Where did you acquire? BTW, I second the wife's opinion.....Blue!

Gary, what color it that lower carpet/map pocket? Looks gray? Tell me about the SEM paint for your interior. Is that spray can or something that has to be mixed? Where did you acquire?

BTW, I second the wife's opinion.....Blue!

John - You need to check your monitor! The carpet is BLUE! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The paint is SEM's 4130 Regatta Blue, which is correct for 1985 and '86 trucks, as shown here: Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint. And on that page you'll see a link to Vinyl Pro, who mix SEM paint and ship it out. That's who I've used, as have several others, and they are super to work with.

Oh yes, in the VAST majority of cases you'll have to have the paint mixed to get a match as SEM's off-the-shelf paint isn't a match.