Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I'm on the lookout for an instrument bezel that matches that medium duty radio bezel. I have one with the fog light switch holes, but it is in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to drill more holes in it to mount the gauges, as shown below. So if you come across a used one please let me know. I think that bezel is black rather than gray, but will check.

src="http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n78396/Medium_Duty_Radio_Bezel_Installed.jpg" border="0" style="float:right; margin:.4em;"width="48%"/>

Gary, a few days ago, another forum member [Cinamon] was looking for a "Custom" center bezel [Projects forum; 10/28/20]. He contacted the following seller and the seller would not separate the two items. Perhaps he and you could work together on this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-Ford-F150-Custom-F250-F350-Bronco-Dash-Instrument-Cluster-Radio-Bezel/274488085308?epid=1528534502&hash=item3fe8c3cb3c:g:lysAAOSw3WZfV~JD

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I'm on the lookout for an instrument bezel that matches that medium duty radio bezel. I have one with the fog light switch holes, but it is in such good shape that I'm not sure I want to drill more holes in it to mount the gauges, as shown below. So if you come across a used one please let me know. I think that bezel is black rather than gray, but will check.

src="http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n78396/Medium_Duty_Radio_Bezel_Installed.jpg" border="0" style="float:right; margin:.4em;"width="48%"/>

Gary, a few days ago, another forum member [Cinamon] was looking for a "Custom" center bezel [Projects forum; 10/28/20]. He contacted the following seller and the seller would not separate the two items. Perhaps he and you could work together on this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-Ford-F150-Custom-F250-F350-Bronco-Dash-Instrument-Cluster-Radio-Bezel/274488085308?epid=1528534502&hash=item3fe8c3cb3c:g:lysAAOSw3WZfV~JD

David - That's a good idea, but as it turns out I believe I have what I need. And, by the way, Cinamon is a lady. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Looking over my stash I found that I have two instrument bezels that match the radio bezel. They both have the same ID # on them, E0TB-10045C90-B, but the top one has the screw holes and slot for the fog lamp switch.

There's nothing sacred about that bezel as it would be easy to put those holes in the other one if someone wanted a fog light switch. So I'm thinking about using it and saving the other one. That means I'll not only put screw holes in it to secure the gauges but I'll have to cut out the "pocket" to get the wires and tubes through for the gauges on the right. In fact, I'm thinking of slotting the bottom of the bezel right below the pocket so I can remove and re-install the bezel w/o pulling the senders out of the engine.

Thoughts?

Bezel_Comparison.thumb.jpg.59ecd30e7e46d45e92b92195ad6c73ff.jpg

David - That's a good idea, but as it turns out I believe I have what I need. And, by the way, Cinamon is a lady. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Looking over my stash I found that I have two instrument bezels that match the radio bezel. They both have the same ID # on them, E0TB-10045C90-B, but the top one has the screw holes and slot for the fog lamp switch.

There's nothing sacred about that bezel as it would be easy to put those holes in the other one if someone wanted a fog light switch. So I'm thinking about using it and saving the other one. That means I'll not only put screw holes in it to secure the gauges but I'll have to cut out the "pocket" to get the wires and tubes through for the gauges on the right. In fact, I'm thinking of slotting the bottom of the bezel right below the pocket so I can remove and re-install the bezel w/o pulling the senders out of the engine.

Thoughts?

You are referring to the clear gauge 'bezel' you created, right?

If so, since the back of the pocket will be cut out, can the gauges be removed from the clear bezel from behind? Clear would come out front and gauges rear.

Or if the gauge bezels are built in and prevent this, what about slotting the clear bezel instead?

Just thinking of an alternative, potentially less visible solution to slotting the weave bezel.

You are referring to the clear gauge 'bezel' you created, right?

If so, since the back of the pocket will be cut out, can the gauges be removed from the clear bezel from behind? Clear would come out front and gauges rear.

Or if the gauge bezels are built in and prevent this, what about slotting the clear bezel instead?

Just thinking of an alternative, potentially less visible solution to slotting the weave bezel.

No, I'm talking about the gauges that are already mounted - which you can see in the pic below. The back of the pocket is cut out and the bulbs, wires, tubes pass through there. But to get the bezel off I'd have to pull the senders out of the engine and back through the firewall. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Instead, I'm thinking of cutting a slot in the bottom of that burled wood bezel and snaking the tubes, wires, etc out that way. After all it is faded burled wood, what else is new, and the back of the pocket is cut out.

And then I plan on cutting a slot in the black bezel, as well as cutting out the back of the pocket. That way I can remove the bezel when I want. (During the whole "transformation" the bezel and gauges hung by the wires and tubes in the truck. :nabble_smiley_sad:)

Aftermarket_Gauges.thumb.jpg.d1d4838b5e3dcec91aac2e6a4043c6ab.jpg

But, where to cut the slot in the black bezel is the question. In the pic above you can tell that cutting the bottom of the bezel would be visible, but only slightly. However, as you get in from the passenger's side you would be able to see it.

Instead, I'm thinking of cutting the left side of the pocket out to the collar to the steering column. In the pic above it is not visible at all, and in the pic below you can see that a slot over to the collar would do the trick.

Thoughts? Better ideas?

Aftermarket_Gauges_From_The_Bottom.thumb.jpg.7b656c669af4e6a44de4bbb7cde7feba.jpg

Oops! My apologies to Cinamon! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

No, I'm talking about the gauges that are already mounted - which you can see in the pic below. The back of the pocket is cut out and the bulbs, wires, tubes pass through there. But to get the bezel off I'd have to pull the senders out of the engine and back through the firewall. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Instead, I'm thinking of cutting a slot in the bottom of that burled wood bezel and snaking the tubes, wires, etc out that way. After all it is faded burled wood, what else is new, and the back of the pocket is cut out.

And then I plan on cutting a slot in the black bezel, as well as cutting out the back of the pocket. That way I can remove the bezel when I want. (During the whole "transformation" the bezel and gauges hung by the wires and tubes in the truck. :nabble_smiley_sad:)

But, where to cut the slot in the black bezel is the question. In the pic above you can tell that cutting the bottom of the bezel would be visible, but only slightly. However, as you get in from the passenger's side you would be able to see it.

Instead, I'm thinking of cutting the left side of the pocket out to the collar to the steering column. In the pic above it is not visible at all, and in the pic below you can see that a slot over to the collar would do the trick.

Thoughts? Better ideas?

Gotcha. In that case, sounds like a plan to me.

I think it's too big but combining one of these with your clear gauge pocket would be a neat setup.

Wait - what about the arduino project? Won't that replace these?

Gotcha. In that case, sounds like a plan to me.

I think it's too big but combining one of these with your clear gauge pocket would be a neat setup.

I think that's too big for the pocket, as you said. But, even if it fit I'm not sure how useful it would be. That location is not the easiest to see while you are driving. My gauges cover that area and then some, and I have to concentrate a bit to read them. And, mine have a wide sweep, with two of them having a 270 degree sweep. But those Autometer gauges have something like a 45 degree sweep, and it would be difficult to read them.

Missed that. Yes, ultimately it will/would. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But there are a whole lot of other things that NEED to be done before July, so that will have to wait. And in the interim I'll run the aftermarket gauges. However, I think I'll wait to start cutting up gauge bezels as the one I have is working, and I'll use that time to get other needed things done.

Missed that. Yes, ultimately it will/would. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But there are a whole lot of other things that NEED to be done before July, so that will have to wait. And in the interim I'll run the aftermarket gauges. However, I think I'll wait to start cutting up gauge bezels as the one I have is working, and I'll use that time to get other needed things done.

I'm getting ready to start painting the interior trim and just realized that I don't have the boots that go over the door handles and seal off the door panels. I've included the info from our page at Documentation/Interior/Handles, Boots, Etc to show part numbers.

It looks like I need these parts: (RH) E5TZ 10226A06-A (LH) E5TZ 10226A07-A Blue. Anyone know of any? I could probably paint ones from another color with SEM, but I'm not sure how it would hold up with the movement there.

boot-header_orig.thumb.jpg.bb672e75c014a965bfc36f7c5147d5b3.jpgboot_orig.thumb.jpg.8b82ae28555bd7617fff0ee0e5f48ec1.jpg

I'm getting ready to start painting the interior trim and just realized that I don't have the boots that go over the door handles and seal off the door panels. I've included the info from our page at Documentation/Interior/Handles, Boots, Etc to show part numbers.

It looks like I need these parts: (RH) E5TZ 10226A06-A (LH) E5TZ 10226A07-A Blue. Anyone know of any? I could probably paint ones from another color with SEM, but I'm not sure how it would hold up with the movement there.

Like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1980-1986-FORD-F100-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-LH-DOOR-HANDLE-OPENING-TRIM-BOOT-/392964586758