Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Will do, Scott. To tell you the truth, I forgot that your thread was initially about the underhood lights and that you'd bought an LED that worked. :nabble_smiley_blush:

It'll be interesting to see how it works. The rule of thumb is that LED's produce 4 times as many lumens per watt than an incandescent bulb does. So a 2 watt LED should be roughly equivalent to an 8 watt #90 bulb. And the 2.4 watt LED is 20+% stronger than that, which should put it at about what you found with the Super Bright Lights LED's.

This morning I was greeted with the view below. The towel wrapped around the hose was dry but the one laying in the radiator support was wet. There's a REMOTE chance that the radiator hose was leaking as the towel around it might not have been up against the radiator, but I don't think so. However, I did tighten the clamp, which wasn't loose.

So I've raised the radiator on 2x4's placed between it and the radiator support so I can see the bottom of it with a mirror. Looks to me like the joint between the side cap and the center is leaking, but I want to prove that before I order a new radiator, so will keep the pressure on for a bit longer.

Speaking of that, this one is brass/copper and weighs a ton. If I have to replace it I want to go with aluminum, so does anyone have any recommendations? I want OVERKILL. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Oh yes, the 13 psi radiator cap starts leaking a bit at 12 psi, so needs to be replaced. And the lower hose has a cut in it that I can get my fingernail in, so I think I need to replace it while I have things apart - assuming I will have things apart. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Radiator_Leak_Test_-_Morning_of_10202020.thumb.jpg.cfa9c360c56ed5616932b32bdb42240c.jpg

This morning I was greeted with the view below. The towel wrapped around the hose was dry but the one laying in the radiator support was wet. There's a REMOTE chance that the radiator hose was leaking as the towel around it might not have been up against the radiator, but I don't think so. However, I did tighten the clamp, which wasn't loose.

So I've raised the radiator on 2x4's placed between it and the radiator support so I can see the bottom of it with a mirror. Looks to me like the joint between the side cap and the center is leaking, but I want to prove that before I order a new radiator, so will keep the pressure on for a bit longer.

Speaking of that, this one is brass/copper and weighs a ton. If I have to replace it I want to go with aluminum, so does anyone have any recommendations? I want OVERKILL. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Oh yes, the 13 psi radiator cap starts leaking a bit at 12 psi, so needs to be replaced. And the lower hose has a cut in it that I can get my fingernail in, so I think I need to replace it while I have things apart - assuming I will have things apart. :nabble_smiley_sad:

In the 86 I have a 3 row aluminum that came with the shroud and two fans (though I am using the stock shroud and fan).

I looked into the 4 rows but I couldn't find a real need for it in my case. No complaints at all with the 3 row one.

In the 86 I have a 3 row aluminum that came with the shroud and two fans (though I am using the stock shroud and fan).

I looked into the 4 rows but I couldn't find a real need for it in my case. No complaints at all with the 3 row one.

Thanks. What brand?

On the shroud, I just realized that Summit's brand of radiator says "Designed for use with electric fans, the OEM fan shroud is not compatible with these radiators in most applications." :nabble_smiley_cry:

I want to run the shroud I have awa the engine-driven fan.

Thanks. What brand?

On the shroud, I just realized that Summit's brand of radiator says "Designed for use with electric fans, the OEM fan shroud is not compatible with these radiators in most applications." :nabble_smiley_cry:

Originally I wanted to go with a Champion but after doing some research and talking to one of their distributors I found out that they import theirs now*.

Because of that and assuming they are all now made in the same place I went with one off eBay from one of the larger auto parts sellers.

The price of the eBay one (with the fans/shroud) was about $30 cheaper than the Champion one (no fans/shroud). Even though I didn't, and still don't, plan to use the shroud I figured it might come in handy for something so why not.

So to sum it up - for a similar price you can choose between a shroud/fans vs warranty.

I would recommend reading through the Champion warranty to see what is/isn't covered and what voids it.

I looked over the eBay one really closely when I got it and was satisfied. The welds all looked really good. Only issue I had was with some galling when installing the auto trans cooling line adapter but that's on me.

Just my personal experience and decision making process.

*If anyone has heard differently, do let us know.

Thanks. What brand?

Working on a short-list of radiators:

• Frostbite 4-row: $412 from Holley, but won't ship for 10 days. And the same price from Summit. But Summit says they'll special order it for me, and it won't ship until November 3rd if I order today.

• Alloyworks: 4 row for $359 with free shipping and dual fans, although it looks like the clips for the factory shroud will fit nicely. Hold on - the reviews on Amazon for Alloyworks radiators have a 32% #1 rating, and the complaints are about leaks. PASS!

• Allowworks: Probably the same radiator as the one above but for $259 w/o fans it looks good. Hold on - the reviews on Amazon for Alloyworks radiators have a 32% #1 rating, and the complaints are about leaks. PASS!

• Champion 4-row: $267.95 and free shipping from ebay. Or $260 + $29 from Amazon. This is # - MC1451. But the reviews of Champion radiators for Jeeps on Amazon has 18% #1 ratings, and most are due to leaks. However, the reviews on Amazon for this radiator are 5 stars out of two reviews. And Jeg's has it for $302 and 4.3 stars out of 6 reviews. But the Amazon ratings for this radiator are from 2014 & 15, so they may be from before the production went overseas? And the Jegs reviews were from 8 months to 3 years ago. :nabble_anim_confused:

I sent a text to my nephew asking for his advice, and he said:

Most of them I have used are pretty equal in quality. There is one brand that I ordered with dual electric fans and the workmanship was so good I wanted to hang it on the wall. I forget the brand off the top of my head, but I will find out when I get back to the shop.

So I'll wait and see what he tells me.

EDIT: THE CAP BELOW DOES NOT FIT!

And on the cap, I'm going with this one from Amazon. I really liked the Mr. Gasket one years ago until I found that their stuff is junk. But this one looks pretty good. Siri says 13 psi is .9 bar:

41ihUU1gmfL.jpg.dfad06790607d120fbe1bfe92141639c.jpg51id4QHnw9L.jpg.02c62fcef1ecf68e924c9de68bfd5178.jpg

• Frostbite 4-row: $412 from Holley, but won't ship for 10 days. And the same price from Summit. But Summit says they'll special order it for me, and it won't ship until November 3rd if I order today.

• Alloyworks: 4 row for $359 with free shipping and dual fans, although it looks like the clips for the factory shroud will fit nicely. Hold on - the reviews on Amazon for Alloyworks radiators have a 32% #1 rating, and the complaints are about leaks. PASS!

• Allowworks: Probably the same radiator as the one above but for $259 w/o fans it looks good. Hold on - the reviews on Amazon for Alloyworks radiators have a 32% #1 rating, and the complaints are about leaks. PASS!

• Champion 4-row: $267.95 and free shipping from ebay. Or $260 + $29 from Amazon. This is # - MC1451. But the reviews of Champion radiators for Jeeps on Amazon has 18% #1 ratings, and most are due to leaks. However, the reviews on Amazon for this radiator are 5 stars out of two reviews. And Jeg's has it for $302 and 4.3 stars out of 6 reviews. But the Amazon ratings for this radiator are from 2014 & 15, so they may be from before the production went overseas? And the Jegs reviews were from 8 months to 3 years ago. :nabble_anim_confused:

Most of them I have used are pretty equal in quality. There is one brand that I ordered with dual electric fans and the workmanship was so good I wanted to hang it on the wall. I forget the brand off the top of my head, but I will find out when I get back to the shop.

And on the cap, I'm going with this one from Amazon. I really liked the Mr. Gasket one years ago until I found that their stuff is junk. But this one looks pretty good. Siri says 13 psi is .9 bar:

At that price point, isn't shipping free from Summit? Or is a radiator considered a truck freight item (don't see why)?

I really like that cap!

On the radiators - I could be wrong but unless you go with something like RonDavis, I am guessing they are all going to be the same (aside from core count) regardless of what brand they are sold under. Happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean at all that I think they aren't any good - again, really happy with mine. I just don't think I'd worry too much about the name or reviews for the specific brand/seller.

I really like that cap!

On the radiators - I could be wrong but unless you go with something like RonDavis, I am guessing they are all going to be the same (aside from core count) regardless of what brand they are sold under. Happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean at all that I think they aren't any good - again, really happy with mine. I just don't think I'd worry too much about the name or reviews for the specific brand/seller.

Got a text back from my nephew, and he said the radiator he really liked is a De Witts. But they don't make a direct replacement for our trucks. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Shaun, it would probably have free shipping. But a 3-row for more than a 4-row? It looks to me like Frostbite is Holley's brand. Does that make them any better?

Scott - With the idea that they are pretty much all the same, I think I'm about ready to order a 4-row Champion.

Anyone have other ideas? Better guidance?

Got a text back from my nephew, and he said the radiator he really liked is a De Witts. But they don't make a direct replacement for our trucks. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Shaun, it would probably have free shipping. But a 3-row for more than a 4-row? It looks to me like Frostbite is Holley's brand. Does that make them any better?

Scott - With the idea that they are pretty much all the same, I think I'm about ready to order a 4-row Champion.

Anyone have other ideas? Better guidance?

I bought an off the shelf unit from Advance Auto a few years ago, and I haven't had any issues with it as of yet. :nabble_smiley_ninja:

But that's in my daily driver hence why I wanted the local option.

I bought an off the shelf unit from Advance Auto a few years ago, and I haven't had any issues with it as of yet. :nabble_smiley_ninja:

But that's in my daily driver hence why I wanted the local option.

I had to replace Darth's radiator a while back, bummer was when I bought it it was a Modine lifetime one. Not only is Modine gone, but the shop I got from, the owner had a massive coronary and died right after his 65th birthday. I ended up just getting an SPI one from RockAuto. I have never had any overheating issues even in bumper to bumper creeping on a high 90s day with matching humidity.