Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Must be for the CC's. At least I've not seen it on regular cabs. The metal is pretty flimsy up there.

Alright, everyone get ready to laugh... sometimes one has to think outside of the box, so what about this as a temporary measure? It could be placed on the windshield, door glass or rear window.

https://www.amazon.com/AmeriLuck-Indicators-Bathroom-Handicap-Non-Porous/dp/B078JTP9L7/ref=sxin_10_pb?crid=2Q53BE592XEOH&cv_ct_cx=handicap+grab+bars&dchild=1&keywords=handicap+grab+bars&pd_rd_i=B078JTP9L7&pd_rd_r=c4011c1c-07dc-4871-b649-4df9265a1910&pd_rd_w=8DDCs&pd_rd_wg=Ubq8D&pf_rd_p=ffb450f7-bfad-4e7e-95e8-f2bd147e99a4&pf_rd_r=DTZV4R9Q57KR2CRWY5MR&qid=1601476525&sprefix=handicap%2Caps%2C163&sr=1-3-8065ff8c-2587-4a7f-b8da-1df8b2563c11

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Better yet, we watched a Mission Impossible the other night and they had gloves that attached them to glass. Maybe a pair of them?

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig::nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Better yet, we watched a Mission Impossible the other night and they had gloves that attached them to glass. Maybe a pair of them?

I don't know Gary....seems like I've heard those fail at absolutely the worst times

I don't know Gary....seems like I've heard those fail at absolutely the worst times

If by "absolutely the worst times" you mean being 50K stories up on a glass building with a sand storm coming, then I agree with you. Trust me, I was literally holding onto my seat. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Ok, so maybe I need to figure out how to put a grab handle on the A-pillar and not rely on exotic gloves. I don't want Janey to fall getting in.

If by "absolutely the worst times" you mean being 50K stories up on a glass building with a sand storm coming, then I agree with you. Trust me, I was literally holding onto my seat. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Ok, so maybe I need to figure out how to put a grab handle on the A-pillar and not rely on exotic gloves. I don't want Janey to fall getting in.

Just a status update on "diapers". These are, top to bottom:

• Clutch Master: You can just see a couple of dark spots on this, which means the o-ring is leaking a bit where the tube goes into the master. And this is from just a few mile drive.

• Hydroboost: This was only on for that "few mile drive" and seems to show that there was ATF on the body of the hydroboost unit. But I really don't know where that spot was so it might be from the accumulator. I checked the fittings and was able to tighten them a bit, although not much. So I'll put a new diaper on it and see if that helped.

• Power Steering Pump: This was on for not only the "few mile drive" but also that 366 mile drive. And, it leaks sitting still. So obviously the pump leaks. But, I have a new replacement so will replace it - but not until I know if the hydroboost unit needs to be replaced as well as I only want to drain and refill the system once.

But, the engine, transmission, and t-case are tight! Just layers to the onion. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Diaper_Status_as_of_Oct_1st.thumb.jpg.b2023bed0280f0d9102e14afe2936521.jpg

Just a status update on "diapers". These are, top to bottom:

• Clutch Master: You can just see a couple of dark spots on this, which means the o-ring is leaking a bit where the tube goes into the master. And this is from just a few mile drive.

• Hydroboost: This was only on for that "few mile drive" and seems to show that there was ATF on the body of the hydroboost unit. But I really don't know where that spot was so it might be from the accumulator. I checked the fittings and was able to tighten them a bit, although not much. So I'll put a new diaper on it and see if that helped.

• Power Steering Pump: This was on for not only the "few mile drive" but also that 366 mile drive. And, it leaks sitting still. So obviously the pump leaks. But, I have a new replacement so will replace it - but not until I know if the hydroboost unit needs to be replaced as well as I only want to drain and refill the system once.

But, the engine, transmission, and t-case are tight! Just layers to the onion. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Another piece done - the jack handle and its holders have been installed. Thanks to TheScatch for reminding me 'cause I'd forgotten and have been running around w/a jack and no handle!

Here's a shot of the handle and the holders, which I pop-riveted to the radiator support with 1/8" steel rivets like the factory did:

Jack_Handle_Installed.thumb.jpg.919abbede46d859c6625a3db88807ff0.jpg

But, as soon as I put the handle in I was reminded of something Dad did on his truck. Turns out that the handle can easily move in the holders and the end of it will hit the headlight shell, making a clunk on stops and starts. So Dad put a piece of hose over the end of the handle, as shown below on the left. And on the right you can see how it hits the headlight shell. No more clunks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Fuel_Hose_On_Jack_Handle.thumb.jpg.a8a449d3f49d009729543313902ff705.jpgJack_Handle_Hits_Headlight_Shell.thumb.jpg.3273112ca40bbcb0a0dccfd8f01350ad.jpg

But, as soon as I put the handle in I was reminded of something Dad did on his truck. Turns out that the handle can easily move in the holders and the end of it will hit the headlight shell, making a clunk on stops and starts. So Dad put a piece of hose over the end of the handle, as shown below on the left. And on the right you can see how it hits the headlight shell. No more clunks. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dad knows best! :nabble_smiley_grin:

Dad Father knows best! :nabble_smiley_grin:

Fixed it for you. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Had a bit of a breakthrough today. A week ago today Steve/FoxFord33, the Grand Wagoneer guy, was over to work on it in the shop. But I got him to help me use Big Blue to push the trailer out of the shop's driveway and into the carport behind the shop. And during that, which was the first use of 4wd since the transformation, we heard a "grunching" noise from the driveline. He laid beside the truck as I grunched by and he thought it was coming from the t-case. :nabble_smiley_argh:

It only did it in 4wd so I felt safe in taking it on the big trip down Route 66, and all went well. But today I thought I'd see what the problem is. And as I turned the front driveshaft with the truck on the lift I heard a little graunch that seemed to come from absolutely everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

Finally, I realized it was coming from the front u-joint area. In fact, on closer inspection I found that there was precious little clearance between the front of the u-joint and the end of the pinion shaft.

No_Clearance_Between_U-Joint__Pinion_Shaft.thumb.jpg.3ddcdecc28f960ec3d3bfd437b942ad0.jpg

So I started to pull the driveshaft loose and found the nuts on the straps less than tight. And when I got things apart I found this:

Marks_On_U-Joint_From_Pinion_Shaft.thumb.jpg.bb3da62567b3d525d18820681654910f.jpgWear_On_Pinion_Shaft.thumb.jpg.738373036e594c5a056287cf760f0f15.jpg

About that time Steve showed up and remarked that I had the u-joint in backwards. What? There's a right and wrong on u-joints? Yep! As you can see above, one side has protrusions, probably for the grease fitting. But the other side doesn't. And with it turned around there's no intereference!

:nabble_anim_jump:

Clearance_Between_U-Joint__Pinion_Shaft.thumb.jpg.c205da8301430c79f027e9b5dd198940.jpg

Had a bit of a breakthrough today. A week ago today Steve/FoxFord33, the Grand Wagoneer guy, was over to work on it in the shop. But I got him to help me use Big Blue to push the trailer out of the shop's driveway and into the carport behind the shop. And during that, which was the first use of 4wd since the transformation, we heard a "grunching" noise from the driveline. He laid beside the truck as I grunched by and he thought it was coming from the t-case. :nabble_smiley_argh:

It only did it in 4wd so I felt safe in taking it on the big trip down Route 66, and all went well. But today I thought I'd see what the problem is. And as I turned the front driveshaft with the truck on the lift I heard a little graunch that seemed to come from absolutely everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

Finally, I realized it was coming from the front u-joint area. In fact, on closer inspection I found that there was precious little clearance between the front of the u-joint and the end of the pinion shaft.

So I started to pull the driveshaft loose and found the nuts on the straps less than tight. And when I got things apart I found this:

About that time Steve showed up and remarked that I had the u-joint in backwards. What? There's a right and wrong on u-joints? Yep! As you can see above, one side has protrusions, probably for the grease fitting. But the other side doesn't. And with it turned around there's no intereference!

:nabble_anim_jump:

Grunching. Now that's a word that you can't help but hear in your head.

Nice job on finding it! And glad the fix didn't require too much disassembly.