Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks but what about the side against the core support? The one with the triangle bracket. Is it not using the slot also? Wasn't sure if that flat stock went all the way underneath to 'sandwich' the battery.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. But if I were to use one word it would be "duh". http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-slap-23_orig.gif

I'm using the stock hold down that bolts to the core support, so the j-bolt goes into the slot.

Front_Aux_J-Bolt.thumb.jpg.cacd3ac2de949b57aa2e4b2b718c2785.jpg

Perfect. Thanks!

In spite of the # of entries coming in, and a fair amount of church work, I did get a bit done on Big Blue. More specifically, I got the grille and upper and lower trim on.

But that was an interesting process. Not sure I ever worked this out before, but the order these parts should be installed in is:

1. Upper and lower trim

2. Headlight doors

3. Grille

I already had the headlight doors on and then put the grille on, but when I got to the upper and lower trim I learned all of that had to come off. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, it is now on. I'll probably pull it off later to paint it, but hopefully I'll remember that order so it'll be easier.

Grille__Front_Trim_Is_ON.thumb.jpg.a5e9abe2622231f424a7ae206622cc80.jpg

In spite of the # of entries coming in, and a fair amount of church work, I did get a bit done on Big Blue. More specifically, I got the grille and upper and lower trim on.

But that was an interesting process. Not sure I ever worked this out before, but the order these parts should be installed in is:

1. Upper and lower trim

2. Headlight doors

3. Grille

I already had the headlight doors on and then put the grille on, but when I got to the upper and lower trim I learned all of that had to come off. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, it is now on. I'll probably pull it off later to paint it, but hopefully I'll remember that order so it'll be easier.

Great! Really like that bumper.

It's no wonder why a lot of the headlight bezels have broken tabs by now, right? :nabble_smiley_beam:

It may just be the angle but do you have those black plastic strips that go between the fender and the headlight bezel? Not sure what purpose they serve beyond aesthetics.

Great! Really like that bumper.

It's no wonder why a lot of the headlight bezels have broken tabs by now, right? :nabble_smiley_beam:

It may just be the angle but do you have those black plastic strips that go between the fender and the headlight bezel? Not sure what purpose they serve beyond aesthetics.

Yes I have the plastic strips, and I think they are there so you can't see the fender - which is especially important when you have light-colored fenders like Big Blue does.

And yes the tabs break easily. I broke one today. :nabble_smiley_cry: They are so fragile, but fortunately the one I broke is just one of those to cover a joint and not one where a screw goes.

As for the bumper, pretty soon it may get its winch back. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's what I was afraid of - the little speaker wouldn't be clear. At my age I'm having problems understanding so I need all the help I can get.

I just sat in the truck and I'm not seeing a good spot for a hand-held CB, but the Highliner and a CB w/a down-firing speaker looks like a good solution. The antenna wire can go out where the bed light is and up to a magnetic-based antenna on the roof and that should give decent reception and transmission.

And I think instead of using the foam to hold a CB in that I'll screw L-brackets to the roof and mount the CB that way. Then the lower panel can be perforated for the speaker and foam won't be needed.

Thoughts?

I think you should hear even a small speaker in a CB in the overhead like that.

My brother and I mounted a CB on the overhead in my 1968 C10. Heard it just fine and that truck was loud with no A/C. Of course my hearing was much better then! :nabble_smiley_music:

I think you should hear even a small speaker in a CB in the overhead like that.

My brother and I mounted a CB on the overhead in my 1968 C10. Heard it just fine and that truck was loud with no A/C. Of course my hearing was much better then! :nabble_smiley_music:

If all else fails I'll tie it into the two speakers over the driver & passenger's heads. That should make it easy to hear. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If all else fails I'll tie it into the two speakers over the driver & passenger's heads. That should make it easy to hear. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I did, btw, order the air cleaner spacer shown below. Thanks to Bill for the idea and David for finding it.

Should be in on Monday and hopefully the 1 5/8" boost will let me run the dual snorkel air cleaner.

s-l500.jpg.660f05f5c3a2541b06f322ea75d1c7b2.jpg

I did, btw, order the air cleaner spacer shown below. Thanks to Bill for the idea and David for finding it.

Should be in on Monday and hopefully the 1 5/8" boost will let me run the dual snorkel air cleaner.

Oh yes, I forgot to report that I removed two significant rattles today. The door panels rattled badly due to the heavy 6 x 9 speakers overpowering the keepers when you slammed the doors to get them fully closed with the new weatherstripping. So the panels were always loose.

I put a drywall anchor in the the lower back corner holes in the doors, drilled through the trashed door panels, and put a #10 screw into the anchor. Now the panels stay secured to the door and I'm sure the rattles are gone.

However, the plastic on the driver's door latch bolt disintegrated and now the latch rattles. I have one of the later bolts with a guard that unscrews from the guard but I need to buy some PEX to put on it. More onion rings.