Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I had a Cobra 75wxst in both of my old Jeeps. They're nice and compact. Not to mention they work quite well.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/cobra-75-wx-st-compact-cb-radio

Interesting! With that I wouldn't need the Highliner. But, I still don't know where I would put it. I'll look today to see if there might be room.

How was the sound through that small speaker?

Cobra_Handset_CB.thumb.jpg.6c882e54454286457745c818dc8f0ddd.jpg

Interesting! With that I wouldn't need the Highliner. But, I still don't know where I would put it. I'll look today to see if there might be room.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-79-FORD-TRUCK-BRONCO-Hand-Held-CB-RADIO-SYSTEM-RANGER-XLT-F150-F250-F350/133403785696?hash=item1f0f7c39e0:g:xk0AAOSwk~pep5Y3

I absolutely recommend an external speaker. The interface box has a jack for one. Is the OEM dash center speaker location available? A fill-in mount to put 2x communications speakers in that space would be a relatively easy 3D printing project with PETG. I found some dual-speaker mounts, but they were already stuff with speakers.

I absolutely recommend an external speaker. The interface box has a jack for one. Is the OEM dash center speaker location available? A fill-in mount to put 2x communications speakers in that space would be a relatively easy 3D printing project with PETG. I found some dual-speaker mounts, but they were already stuff with speakers.

I have the Cobra 75, I quit using it. Too small on the speaker, too weak on reception and transmission.

I put the President Bill with a 3 foot Firestik Firefly in my Xterra. It’s a good car for CBs. Rare to get a contact sometimes. The first time I tested it I got an immediate response 5 miles away. I was sitting in my driveway next to the house and garage.

My Bronco on the other hand is the worst vehicle I have put a CB in!

I have the Cobra 75, I quit using it. Too small on the speaker, too weak on reception and transmission.

I put the President Bill with a 3 foot Firestik Firefly in my Xterra. It’s a good car for CBs. Rare to get a contact sometimes. The first time I tested it I got an immediate response 5 miles away. I was sitting in my driveway next to the house and garage.

My Bronco on the other hand is the worst vehicle I have put a CB in!

That's what I was afraid of - the little speaker wouldn't be clear. At my age I'm having problems understanding so I need all the help I can get.

I just sat in the truck and I'm not seeing a good spot for a hand-held CB, but the Highliner and a CB w/a down-firing speaker looks like a good solution. The antenna wire can go out where the bed light is and up to a magnetic-based antenna on the roof and that should give decent reception and transmission.

And I think instead of using the foam to hold a CB in that I'll screw L-brackets to the roof and mount the CB that way. Then the lower panel can be perforated for the speaker and foam won't be needed.

Thoughts?

Ok, here's a before and after. The hold-down fits the battery perfectly and it comes right down against the nut holding the j-bolt to the bracket from the radiator support. To me it is "perfect", although there are some glitches. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim, I don't have any 1/4-28 wing nuts, so I'll have to get some. But for now it has nyloc nuts on it.

And then I worked on the auxiliary battery. As said, the regular j-bolt slots are offset, but there was enough meat in the ear in front to put the bolt dead-center on the battery. And the strap that goes from the battery carrier to the coolant reservoir is plenty strong so I drilled it to take the other j-bolt. However, it is 1/4-20 instead of 1/4-28, so I'm going to cut the "J" off it, thread that end and secure the 1/4-20 end to the bracket with two nuts. That way all the nuts on top will be 1/4-28.

Here's how that came out, and tomorrow I'll make another, smaller, hold-down for the aux battery.

And, I don't think I showed pics of the bracket I made to hold the coolant reservoir. Here are a couple of pics after I rounded the corners on it. In the not too distant future I'll gather all the bits up that need coating and media blast and then PC them. That will include this bracket, the hold-downs, the j-hooks, etc.

Hey Gary - was working on my aux holddown, ran into an issue, so went back and looked at yours (replying to the post in question).

The triangle piece that goes from the core support to the j-bolt. Does that j-bolt hook into the factory slot in the tray (I know the back one is moved over)? In other words, if you were to look down through the j-bolt hole in the triangle piece does it line up with the tray slot?

Mine doesn't but the triangle piece I pulled from a diesel for the aux battery doesn't look quite the same as yours.

(Sorry, don't want to derail from the CB topic so happy to move this to the Camano thread)

Hey Gary - was working on my aux holddown, ran into an issue, so went back and looked at yours (replying to the post in question).

The triangle piece that goes from the core support to the j-bolt. Does that j-bolt hook into the factory slot in the tray (I know the back one is moved over)? In other words, if you were to look down through the j-bolt hole in the triangle piece does it line up with the tray slot?

Mine doesn't but the triangle piece I pulled from a diesel for the aux battery doesn't look quite the same as yours.

(Sorry, don't want to derail from the CB topic so happy to move this to the Camano thread)

No, I didn't use the slot. This pic shows where I put the J-bolt, and you can see the tab with the slot in it to the left of the J-bolt. The tab is pointed straight up so it is hard to see, but it is the gap.

Aux_Battery_J-Bolts_Mocked_Up.thumb.jpg.002fa32ca03a1447c858f1a7606320e3.jpg

No, I didn't use the slot. This pic shows where I put the J-bolt, and you can see the tab with the slot in it to the left of the J-bolt. The tab is pointed straight up so it is hard to see, but it is the gap.

But, I didn't use a J-Bolt, come to think of it. I used a piece of rod and threaded the ends.

But, I didn't use a J-Bolt, come to think of it. I used a piece of rod and threaded the ends.

Thanks but what about the side against the core support? The one with the triangle bracket. Is it not using the slot also? Wasn't sure if that flat stock went all the way underneath to 'sandwich' the battery.