Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I replaced a double-cardan joint once, quite awhile ago. I don't remember any specifics, but I remember that it wasn't a lot of fun, but not bad enough to feel like I should've taken it in.

Bob - Thanks. But, I may not be rebuilding this thing.

Called Driveshafts Direct and had to leave a message. But called Denny's Driveshafts and had a very pleasant conversation with Denny. Turns out that Ford used both Spicer and American driveshafts during the '95 period, and they take different double-cardan parts. So before I order I need to determine which one I have.

However, he said the joint may well be fine, so recommends placing the shaft in the vice and rotating the joint 12 ways from Sunday. If it binds or is rough then rebuild it. But if not, lube it and move on.

And, while I was on a roll, I asked him about the spline engagement. He said "What's the probability you are going to be playing Dukes Of Hazard?" If not, you are fine.

Given that, tomorrow I'll put it in the vice and see how the double-cardan joint moves and sounds. And, I'll pull the caps off the joint at the other end and see what the bearing surfaces look like. Maybe there's no need to replace anything. :nabble_smiley_good:

Bob - Thanks. But, I may not be rebuilding this thing.

Called Driveshafts Direct and had to leave a message. But called Denny's Driveshafts and had a very pleasant conversation with Denny. Turns out that Ford used both Spicer and American driveshafts during the '95 period, and they take different double-cardan parts. So before I order I need to determine which one I have.

However, he said the joint may well be fine, so recommends placing the shaft in the vice and rotating the joint 12 ways from Sunday. If it binds or is rough then rebuild it. But if not, lube it and move on.

And, while I was on a roll, I asked him about the spline engagement. He said "What's the probability you are going to be playing Dukes Of Hazard?" If not, you are fine.

Given that, tomorrow I'll put it in the vice and see how the double-cardan joint moves and sounds. And, I'll pull the caps off the joint at the other end and see what the bearing surfaces look like. Maybe there's no need to replace anything. :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh yes, I spoke with Marty at Lokar. He says the system shows that they have 1 of the ED-5011-24 dip sticks on the shelf. But that it won't matter from whom I order it, it'll come from them.

So I called Summit and ordered it. And while I had them on the line I ordered a Dorman 614-067 boot clamp.

Oh yes, I spoke with Marty at Lokar. He says the system shows that they have 1 of the ED-5011-24 dip sticks on the shelf. But that it won't matter from whom I order it, it'll come from them.

So I called Summit and ordered it. And while I had them on the line I ordered a Dorman 614-067 boot clamp.

“Playing Dukes of Hazzard” That’s hilarious!

“Playing Dukes of Hazzard” That’s hilarious!

We had a really good conversation. One of his comments was about the emails they get where people don't know what punctuation is. He said the Dodge folks are really bad about that. But the worst are those that wear their hats sideways.

I like him, and if I need parts I'm getting back with him.

We had a really good conversation. One of his comments was about the emails they get where people don't know what punctuation is. He said the Dodge folks are really bad about that. But the worst are those that wear their hats sideways.

I like him, and if I need parts I'm getting back with him.

Good source to have.

Good source to have.
In accordance with Denny's suggestion I pulled the front driveshaft off to check the movement of the double cardan joint. As I was carrying it to the bench it was moving fine and then it locked up. After extensive lubrication, which didn't help, I applied a couple of swift taps with a dead-blow hammer. It now moves, as shown below.

Meanwhile the cup came off of the u-joint at the other end and the bearings scattered. As I was picking them up I wiped off the cross, and then tossed the cap and bearings in the trash.

Front_Driveshaft_U-Joint_Is_BAD.thumb.jpg.968ac10557048963f816de2d286ca22a.jpg

Given that I sent an email to tech@dennysdriveshaft.com and included pics of the joint, the driveshaft's label, and the video. Then I phoned them, but their recording says that while they are there they don't have front-office staff to read the emails, so use their submit-a-question form. That's not what I was told yesterday, but I did and 'splained that I sent them an email and also listed the parts I need. We shall see. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

In accordance with Denny's suggestion I pulled the front driveshaft off to check the movement of the double cardan joint. As I was carrying it to the bench it was moving fine and then it locked up. After extensive lubrication, which didn't help, I applied a couple of swift taps with a dead-blow hammer. It now moves, as shown below.

Meanwhile the cup came off of the u-joint at the other end and the bearings scattered. As I was picking them up I wiped off the cross, and then tossed the cap and bearings in the trash.

Given that I sent an email to tech@dennysdriveshaft.com and included pics of the joint, the driveshaft's label, and the video. Then I phoned them, but their recording says that while they are there they don't have front-office staff to read the emails, so use their submit-a-question form. That's not what I was told yesterday, but I did and 'splained that I sent them an email and also listed the parts I need. We shall see. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Making progress Gary and it's looking good!:nabble_smiley_good: Good luck with the driveshafts...

Making progress Gary and it's looking good!:nabble_smiley_good: Good luck with the driveshafts...

Thanks, Rob.

I did make some progress today. After 11 messages back and forth with tech@dennysdriveshaft.com I finally got these parts on order:

1 x [211179X] DANA SPICER 211179X CV Centering Yoke FORD

Bronco, F-150, F-250, F-350 CV Driveshaft 1330 Series fits

1/2 inch stud

Each: $61.95

3 x [5-1330X] DANA SPICER 5-1330X - Universal Joint 1330

Series with (4) 1.062 Bearing Caps NON Greaseable

Each: $15.93

Part of that was due to the need to check that the centering yoke has a grease fitting. Apparently there are two different ones. And another message exchange was to check that the caps are 1.062" OD. Then there was the exchange 'cause their site said the centering yoke was out of stock, even though they said they had them. Finally when I ordered it said the 5-213x greaseable u-joints were out of stock so I ordered the non-greaseable ones.

And along the way I checked with Amazon and they say that's the wrong centering yoke. We shall see. :nabble_anim_crazy:

EDIT: Just got this email:

The 5-213X just arrived here a few minutes ago.

We will make the substitution.

Thanks

Thanks, Rob.I did make some progress today. After 11 messages back and forth with tech@dennysdriveshaft.com I finally got these parts on order:
1 x [211179X] DANA SPICER 211179X CV Centering Yoke FORDBronco, F-150, F-250, F-350 CV Driveshaft 1330 Series fits1/2 inch studEach: $61.953 x [5-1330X] DANA SPICER 5-1330X - Universal Joint 1330Series with (4) 1.062 Bearing Caps NON GreaseableEach: $15.93
Part of that was due to the need to check that the centering yoke has a grease fitting. Apparently there are two different ones. And another message exchange was to check that the caps are 1.062" OD. Then there was the exchange 'cause their site said the centering yoke was out of stock, even though they said they had them. Finally when I ordered it said the 5-213x greaseable u-joints were out of stock so I ordered the non-greaseable ones. And along the way I checked with Amazon and they say that's the wrong centering yoke. We shall see. :nabble_anim_crazy:EDIT: Just got this email:
The 5-213X just arrived here a few minutes ago.We will make the substitution.Thanks
On a different note (:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:), I ran across this El Toro "electric bull horn" today in the stuff I got from Vernon when I acquired Big Blue. So I thought I'd see what it is like.

It is MUCH louder in real life than it is in the video. This thing will get your attention. What'cha think?

On a different note (:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:), I ran across this El Toro "electric bull horn" today in the stuff I got from Vernon when I acquired Big Blue. So I thought I'd see what it is like.

It is MUCH louder in real life than it is in the video. This thing will get your attention. What'cha think?

Well, BULLnose comes to mind! :nabble_smiley_whistling: