Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

Calibrating the O2 sensor was interesting. You put power to the meter with no sensor connected and it'll show E2. Then you power off, connect the sensor with it laying in free air, and power back on. It'll go through its calibration routine and then indicate 22.4:1 AFR, which means it is calibrated.

But getting power to the meter requires either starting the engine, pulling in the relay another way, or removing the relay and jumping across it. I opted to pull in the relay by disconnecting the W/Bk stator wire at the connector between the alternator and the fender liner and applying 12v.

That let me calibrate the sensor and then I installed it. Started the truck up and found that the AFR meter works but the "stock" voltmeter, meaning the one in the gauge cluster that Rocketman modified, doesn't. So obviously the relay is getting pulled in by the stator circuit but the signal isn't getting to the voltmeter.

I'm guessing that's because I didn't get the connector clicked into the gauge cluster all the way - power and ground to the voltmeter are on the very end of the connector. And while it is a huge pain to take the cluster out, I may be able to get to it by taking the dash pad/cover off. At least that's what it looks like when checking out the spare dash I have in the attic. So I'll give that a try tomorrow.

But back the AFR meter, it rebooted several times when I blipped the throttle. That indicates that maybe the RPM dropped so low that the output of the stator wire is letting the relay drop out. I checked that relay and on straight DC it dropped out at 5.15 volts, but I found another that drops out at 4.75 volts. I put that in and the few blips I did didn't cause the meter to drop out. But we will take the truck on an outing in a bit and I'll find out then.

And the tach works great! Very smooth and the idle is more accurate. Thanks again, David!

Minor update. I posted this in WHYDTYTT. Added the rubber trim to the behind the doors, on the cab corners.

• 2 months later...

Time to update where things are with Big Blue.  We just got back from a several day trip with the truck and noticed, and in some cases, created problems.  I'll mention them here but plan to start threads on some of them to get your help.

• Battery Isolator: The way I have the battery isolator wired doesn't cause it to always close when it should and parallel the batteries.  I can force it to close with the momentary switch in Mission Control, and it'll stay closed.

• Step Bar: I ruined the driver's side step bar by getting it into a downed tree on the side of the trail.  I will need to replace it, but am not sure how I want to do that.

• Front Bumper: The Warn bumper is tweaked 'cause I put the hi-lift jack on it and I'll need to straighten it.

• Taillight: I broke out the DS taillight by backing into a tree limb.

• Dash Cover: The corner of the dash cover is riding up - even if I push it back down.  So it somehow needs to be glued down.

• Wheel Well Trim: The RF wheel well trim must have been caught by a limb and it was pulled loose.  I put it back, sorta, but need to figure out how to do it properly.

• F250 Emblem: The F was broken off the F250 emblem, so I'll need to replace that.

• Brakes: I think I have a warped/warping rotor.  That's because at times there's quite a bit of shudder.  But at other times there's none.

• Steering: Today I noticed that there is a looseness in the steering, and after getting home I had Janey turn the steering wheel back and forth while I looked for the noise I was hearing.  Looks like the Borgeson lower shaft is loose where it attaches to the steering column's inner shaft.

• Pinging: On some of the very steep climbs we noticed pinging when the throttle got basically fully open for quite some time.  It happens even up to 2000 RPM.

• AFR Gauge: The gauge is again giving an E8 error code, which probably means the O2 sensor has failed again, and if that is the case I'm done with this thing.

• OX Locker: I turned the front locker on a couple of times but the indicator that it was locked never came on.  So I need to find out if it is locking and it is just the indicator or if it isn't locking and, if so, find out why.

• Speed Control: This probably isn't something that just happened on this trip, but it is the first time I've noticed that frequently when I turn the right turn signal on the speed control trips off.  I wonder if it is a problem like Larry/@ratdude747 diagnosed with an LED bulb?
  • Like 1

That seems like quite the trip!! And that damage would have been more extensive on a modern truck. I can't imagine you taking your 2015 through something like that (From a cost to fix standpoint). It sure would be nice if there was a rig where you could cast the skin after the trip (sort of like the monster trucks).

Sucks on the O2 sensor. Why are these less reliable vs the modern factory ones ?

4 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

• OX Locker: I turned the front locker on a couple of times but the indicator that it was locked never came on.  So I need to find out if it is locking and it is just the indicator or if it isn't locking and, if so, find out why....

To test this lock the hubs and drive slowly on pavement (tranfser case in 2WD).  Engage the locker and try to turn.  If it's engaged it'll stop like you got on the brakes.  If you still roll freely it didn't lock.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand what is going on with the O2 sensor.  I did everything Innovate suggested, which was to make sure that there's no power to the unit except when the engine is running.  And I put their heat sink on as well.

I should say though that I have that rumbling in the exhaust on the left side, which is where the sensor is.  Maybe that has something to do with the sensor failing?  It is loudest with a lot of power is on, eases off above about 18" of vacuum, and goes away completely when the throttle is fully off.

But yes, you wouldn't want to do what we did with a newer truck.

13 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

Step Bar: I ruined the driver's side step bar by getting it into a downed tree on the side of the trail.  I will need to replace it, but am not sure how I want to do that.

I'd ask to Janey if she prefers to get in with or without a step bar, before taking a decision...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

13 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

Speed Control: This probably isn't something that just happened on this trip, but it is the first time I've noticed that frequently when I turn the right turn signal on the speed control trips off.

Gary, have you considered to not use the Speed Control while overlanding in narrow trails?  This could help saving step bar and taillight...

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Be wary of aftermarket taillights. I had to trim material off of the ones I got from NPD so that I could even mount them. It was mainly flashing that for some reason was never trimmed off wherever they were made. Could have been a limited error, or it could be on all of them. 

Sounds like you had a good shakedown run. Seems like the damage is all easily corrected so that's always a plus!

Thanks, Shaun.  I'll watch for those problems.  I ordered these from Amazon and if they don't fit I'll send them back instead of making them fit.  Do you have a better recommendation?

And it was, quite literally, a shakedown run.  We shook everything, hard.  Most of it is easily fixed and what isn't will be an improvement.