Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks Gentlemen for these explanations!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

In fact, I am not planing any «Jekyll & Hyde» :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: operation on Big Brother, but I find this kind of modification VERY interesting. And with the fuel price "explosion" (ok, bad dad joke), who knows if couple of us will eventually look at this possibility more seriously. Just knowing this is possible is already a great thing. :nabble_smiley_good:

As long as it remains occasional truck use, it will probably still be more economical to pay for gas (even at 10 MPG). But for those of us who ride their old F-Series more often, this could be an attractive solution.

We can also wait and see if any «EV retrofit» will ever become a reality, such as "Ford Eluminator concept" or other similar proposals. If such kits ever see the light of day, it will probably be much more complicated than going EFI, since all the propulsion, drivetrain, transmission, etc, will also have to be replaced or seriously modified. :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

If some day you feel you have too many free hours in your life, copy-pasting your «Carburator-To-EFI-Frankestein» journeys in a specific thread could be nice.

If only for posterity...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Jeff - I understand your position. You want to know, and may use the info in the future. But you'd like it documented just in case. And, I'd actually like to document it. But I'm still somewhat in the heat of battle so I'm not ready to do that.

And here's more about what I'm doing. First, the used O2 sensor from Huck seems to be working fine. The error message did not come back after letting the truck warm up for 10 minutes, and then taking it to Sonic for some celebratory drinks.

But, I'm now wondering how the gas mileage might have been different on our run on Saturday had that O2 sensor been working? I think we were essentially in open loop on the left bank, so what might the MPG have been had it been running in closed loop? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Also, the canister purge error hasn't come back. I changed a bunch of things, as shown below, that showed up in a search for the word "purge" in Binary Editor. But, I'd bet it was the P0443 Switch that was the issue as it was set to set to 1091 and the comment says to set it to 0 to disable the message.

Anyway, here's what I changed:

PARAMETER WAS TO COMMENT

Canister Purge Minimum Vehicle Speed 0 127.5 Set it to maximum

Cold Start Delay #1 For Purge 0 255 Set it to maximum

Cold Start Delay #2 For Purge 0 255 Set it to maximum

Highest Load To Enable Purge Test .45 0 Set it to minimum

Highest MPH For Purge Test 1.0 0 Set it to minimum

Highest # of Purge Tries Per Key Cycle 5 0 Set it to minimum

Lowest Load To Enable Purge Test .10 2.0 Set it to maximum

Lowest MPH For Purge Test 0 127.5 Set it to maximum

P0443 Switch 1091 0 Comments say to set to 0 to disable

Part Throttle & WOT Delay Time For Purge 0 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Delay When In Open Loop 120 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Hot Start Delay 0 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Valve Leakage Multiplier .17 0 S/B 0 if purge is disabled

Purge Warm Start Delay #1 40 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Warm Start Delay #2 0 255 Set it to maximum

Jeff - I understand your position. You want to know, and may use the info in the future. But you'd like it documented just in case. And, I'd actually like to document it. But I'm still somewhat in the heat of battle so I'm not ready to do that.

And here's more about what I'm doing. First, the used O2 sensor from Huck seems to be working fine. The error message did not come back after letting the truck warm up for 10 minutes, and then taking it to Sonic for some celebratory drinks.

But, I'm now wondering how the gas mileage might have been different on our run on Saturday had that O2 sensor been working? I think we were essentially in open loop on the left bank, so what might the MPG have been had it been running in closed loop? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Also, the canister purge error hasn't come back. I changed a bunch of things, as shown below, that showed up in a search for the word "purge" in Binary Editor. But, I'd bet it was the P0443 Switch that was the issue as it was set to set to 1091 and the comment says to set it to 0 to disable the message.

Anyway, here's what I changed:

PARAMETER WAS TO COMMENT

Canister Purge Minimum Vehicle Speed 0 127.5 Set it to maximum

Cold Start Delay #1 For Purge 0 255 Set it to maximum

Cold Start Delay #2 For Purge 0 255 Set it to maximum

Highest Load To Enable Purge Test .45 0 Set it to minimum

Highest MPH For Purge Test 1.0 0 Set it to minimum

Highest # of Purge Tries Per Key Cycle 5 0 Set it to minimum

Lowest Load To Enable Purge Test .10 2.0 Set it to maximum

Lowest MPH For Purge Test 0 127.5 Set it to maximum

P0443 Switch 1091 0 Comments say to set to 0 to disable

Part Throttle & WOT Delay Time For Purge 0 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Delay When In Open Loop 120 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Hot Start Delay 0 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Valve Leakage Multiplier .17 0 S/B 0 if purge is disabled

Purge Warm Start Delay #1 40 255 Set it to maximum

Purge Warm Start Delay #2 0 255 Set it to maximum

And now for another chart, and a few observations. This was taken after I wrote the above changes to the ECU, and essentially all of it was just idling in the driveway.

• RPM: This is the green line, and it initially goes to 1500 and stays there save for the dip when I came out on the clutch in Reverse to get the truck out of the shop.

• DSDRPM: This is the yellow line and is "Desired RPM ". It is a calculated value which explains why it is steady at 1245 RPM initially, and then comes down to 950 for about 20 seconds, and then finally drops to 640 and stays there for the rest of the log.

• ISCDTY: This is the idle speed control duty cycle and is the purple line. Notice how it has the same shape as the desired RPM trace and, for the most part, the RPM trace. Also note how it jumps up for 60 seconds close to the end of the log. That's when I turned the A/C on and the ECU called for more idle air. But the idle RPM didn't change at all. :nabble_smiley_wink:

One thing I don't understand, probably of many things, is the RPM. It is not equal to the desired RPM, especially at startup and the first 15 seconds thereafter. And the RPM gradually creeps up to more than the desired RPM towards the end. But in neither case is there a correction in desired RPM. :nabble_anim_confused:

Warmup_with_ISCTY__DSDRPM__AFR__ECT.thumb.png.c66035bf9a8c8120e956bb6be8fc4592.png

And now for another chart, and a few observations. This was taken after I wrote the above changes to the ECU, and essentially all of it was just idling in the driveway.

• RPM: This is the green line, and it initially goes to 1500 and stays there save for the dip when I came out on the clutch in Reverse to get the truck out of the shop.

• DSDRPM: This is the yellow line and is "Desired RPM ". It is a calculated value which explains why it is steady at 1245 RPM initially, and then comes down to 950 for about 20 seconds, and then finally drops to 640 and stays there for the rest of the log.

• ISCDTY: This is the idle speed control duty cycle and is the purple line. Notice how it has the same shape as the desired RPM trace and, for the most part, the RPM trace. Also note how it jumps up for 60 seconds close to the end of the log. That's when I turned the A/C on and the ECU called for more idle air. But the idle RPM didn't change at all. :nabble_smiley_wink:

One thing I don't understand, probably of many things, is the RPM. It is not equal to the desired RPM, especially at startup and the first 15 seconds thereafter. And the RPM gradually creeps up to more than the desired RPM towards the end. But in neither case is there a correction in desired RPM. :nabble_anim_confused:

I did a compare between Bill's tune and mine on BE and looked specifically at P0385, which is the "misfire code". Mine is set to 901 and Bill's is set to 0, and he doesn't get the error. So I guess the next move is to set mine to 0 and see if that prevents getting the error.

But some reading suggests that the "code" is a bit mask for the ECU, and there's no explanation for what the various bits tell the ECU. Still, if it turns the error off and doesn't cause other problems I guess I really don't need to know. :nabble_smiley_what:

So I know what I'll be trying tomorrow... :nabble_anim_working:

I did a compare between Bill's tune and mine on BE and looked specifically at P0385, which is the "misfire code". Mine is set to 901 and Bill's is set to 0, and he doesn't get the error. So I guess the next move is to set mine to 0 and see if that prevents getting the error.

But some reading suggests that the "code" is a bit mask for the ECU, and there's no explanation for what the various bits tell the ECU. Still, if it turns the error off and doesn't cause other problems I guess I really don't need to know. :nabble_smiley_what:

So I know what I'll be trying tomorrow... :nabble_anim_working:

Mine is set to 0 because I do not (nor do you) have the misfire detector. It mounts on the timing cover and is triggered by a 4 pronged trigger that is part of the external balance weight.

Mine is set to 0 because I do not (nor do you) have the misfire detector. It mounts on the timing cover and is triggered by a 4 pronged trigger that is part of the external balance weight.

Did Adam set that for you? I ask because there is no documentation explaining what it should be set to.

But I've set mine to 0 in the tune I have ready to write to the ECU in the morning, and I'll see if that fixes it.

Also, there are two other parameters I stumbled on today that I want to check out. They are:

• Throttle Body Air Flow: Both of ours are set to .80005 lbs/min. But the comments say:

This is the air flow through the throttle body when the butterfly is closed against the idle stop screw and the ISC Duty Cycle is zero or blocked off. Depending on the strategy this can be in lb/min or in kg/hr. This value is used by the PCM to determine the desired air flow through the ISC. The PCM will calculate the ISC air flow by using what is defined in Function 875N/D and subtracting the following:

Throttle Body Air Flow

Purge Valve Leakage Multiplier * (Purge Duty Cycle - Purge Duty Cycle Offset)

Unmetered Air Flow for PCV

Unmetered Air Due to Air Leakage (Not all strategies have this)

After the above parameters are subtracted from the desired airflow, the ISC Duty Cycle is then looked up and applied to the ISC. With the engine fully warmed and the idle steady, adjust the throttle body stop screw so that the ISC Duty Cycle is roughly 25-30 %. Note the logging parameter IPSIBR and add or subtract its value from the Throttle Body Air Flow.

• Unmetered Air Due to Air Leakage: Both of ours are set to .04980 lbs/min. But the comments say:

This value is added to the MAF as un metered air from things like the PCV and vacuum leaks.

To calculate leakage plug all vacuum, canister purge and PCV line feeding the intake. Take a same of idle MAF and then re attach all lines that were previously disconned or blocked off. Record the MAF at an idle again. The difference is the air leakage. Lastly we have to conver that value to the EEC Standard pressure and temperature. Here is the formula.

Delta MAF *(29.875/Barometric Pressure) * Square Root ((ACT+460)/560) = Air Leakage

Two other things added to the MAF as unmeter air

1) Canister Purge air

2) Brake booster air

I'm not sure where my extra R's on cold starts are coming from and am wondering if these might factor into that so wanted to document them.

Did Adam set that for you? I ask because there is no documentation explaining what it should be set to.

But I've set mine to 0 in the tune I have ready to write to the ECU in the morning, and I'll see if that fixes it.

Also, there are two other parameters I stumbled on today that I want to check out. They are:

• Throttle Body Air Flow: Both of ours are set to .80005 lbs/min. But the comments say:

This is the air flow through the throttle body when the butterfly is closed against the idle stop screw and the ISC Duty Cycle is zero or blocked off. Depending on the strategy this can be in lb/min or in kg/hr. This value is used by the PCM to determine the desired air flow through the ISC. The PCM will calculate the ISC air flow by using what is defined in Function 875N/D and subtracting the following:

Throttle Body Air Flow

Purge Valve Leakage Multiplier * (Purge Duty Cycle - Purge Duty Cycle Offset)

Unmetered Air Flow for PCV

Unmetered Air Due to Air Leakage (Not all strategies have this)

After the above parameters are subtracted from the desired airflow, the ISC Duty Cycle is then looked up and applied to the ISC. With the engine fully warmed and the idle steady, adjust the throttle body stop screw so that the ISC Duty Cycle is roughly 25-30 %. Note the logging parameter IPSIBR and add or subtract its value from the Throttle Body Air Flow.

• Unmetered Air Due to Air Leakage: Both of ours are set to .04980 lbs/min. But the comments say:

This value is added to the MAF as un metered air from things like the PCV and vacuum leaks.

To calculate leakage plug all vacuum, canister purge and PCV line feeding the intake. Take a same of idle MAF and then re attach all lines that were previously disconned or blocked off. Record the MAF at an idle again. The difference is the air leakage. Lastly we have to conver that value to the EEC Standard pressure and temperature. Here is the formula.

Delta MAF *(29.875/Barometric Pressure) * Square Root ((ACT+460)/560) = Air Leakage

Two other things added to the MAF as unmeter air

1) Canister Purge air

2) Brake booster air

I'm not sure where my extra R's on cold starts are coming from and am wondering if these might factor into that so wanted to document them.

Just about every function/setting in BE that can be disabled has a 0 value to disable it.

The misfire detector was one of the OBD-II required features, and on newer vehicles will (and might on the 460s) give the specific cylinder number that is misfiring. It works by detecting a change in the time between pulses and the slight rpm change. The trigger is set at a specified (I found it once) number of degrees ATDC so a misfire is evident in the longer time from the previous triggered pulse. It also is inactive above a certain rpm that is in the misfire detection tables.

Just about every function/setting in BE that can be disabled has a 0 value to disable it.

The misfire detector was one of the OBD-II required features, and on newer vehicles will (and might on the 460s) give the specific cylinder number that is misfiring. It works by detecting a change in the time between pulses and the slight rpm change. The trigger is set at a specified (I found it once) number of degrees ATDC so a misfire is evident in the longer time from the previous triggered pulse. It also is inactive above a certain rpm that is in the misfire detection tables.

Bill - I know you know this, but for anyone else reading along, let me put a little more meat on the bones Bill sketched out.

Finding things in Binary Editor is pretty easy, in spite of the huge number of parameters to change and datapoints to log. In the screenshot below I've circled in red the Search icon in the upper left, which will then pop up the Search window shown on the right. The red arrow points to "misfire" as the search term, and the results are shown below.

But, there are 86 results, 20 of which are parameters that can be changed and 66 of which are datapoints that can be logged. And in the datapoint list you can see the misfire per 1000 revolutions for each cylinder. So yes, you can see which cylinder is having problems and how often - assuming you have the misfire detection apparatus, which we don't have.

Misfire_Screenshot_with_Callouts.thumb.jpg.723e097017705f7e8e9fb4c61bbbc9b7.jpg

Bill - I know you know this, but for anyone else reading along, let me put a little more meat on the bones Bill sketched out.

Finding things in Binary Editor is pretty easy, in spite of the huge number of parameters to change and datapoints to log. In the screenshot below I've circled in red the Search icon in the upper left, which will then pop up the Search window shown on the right. The red arrow points to "misfire" as the search term, and the results are shown below.

But, there are 86 results, 20 of which are parameters that can be changed and 66 of which are datapoints that can be logged. And in the datapoint list you can see the misfire per 1000 revolutions for each cylinder. So yes, you can see which cylinder is having problems and how often - assuming you have the misfire detection apparatus, which we don't have.

Ok, the change of P0385 from 901 to 0 appears to have prevented the ECU from reporting a misfire error, so I now appear to have all of the errors turned off. IOW the Ewissions light is turned off.

So now I'm working on other details, and will report what I'm looking at here so I can track it.

The first thing I'm seeing is the idle speed. On a cold start the desired RPM was at 1240 but actual RPM went to about 1450, so there's an extra 200+ RPM between desired and actual. Then after warmup the desired was at 640 but actual was at 760, so a delta of 120. Last, after a drive during which I took it to WOT and ran up through the gears so it got fully warmed up, the desired was still 640 but actual was at 790, for a delta of 150 RPM.

Ok, the change of P0385 from 901 to 0 appears to have prevented the ECU from reporting a misfire error, so I now appear to have all of the errors turned off. IOW the Ewissions light is turned off.

So now I'm working on other details, and will report what I'm looking at here so I can track it.

The first thing I'm seeing is the idle speed. On a cold start the desired RPM was at 1240 but actual RPM went to about 1450, so there's an extra 200+ RPM between desired and actual. Then after warmup the desired was at 640 but actual was at 760, so a delta of 120. Last, after a drive during which I took it to WOT and ran up through the gears so it got fully warmed up, the desired was still 640 but actual was at 790, for a delta of 150 RPM.

Well, so much for that. The Ewissions light is back on. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I just started the truck and it came on. Hooked the laptop up and BE said there were no codes. But on the OBDII/DTC page it says that EGR system is supported/true, but that it hasn't completed, meaning it is false.

So I hooked up my phone with the EOBD-Facile app and it showed what you see below. From everything I've read a P0000 just says there are no codes. Right?

So I'm thinking that I still don't have the EGR fully turned off.

IMG_4032.thumb.png.bc8ac54ddb79e17b9bfc920415cb0213.pngIMG_4033.thumb.png.7f71962567d303966180b1834261dd8c.png

Well, so much for that. The Ewissions light is back on. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I just started the truck and it came on. Hooked the laptop up and BE said there were no codes. But on the OBDII/DTC page it says that EGR system is supported/true, but that it hasn't completed, meaning it is false.

So I hooked up my phone with the EOBD-Facile app and it showed what you see below. From everything I've read a P0000 just says there are no codes. Right?

So I'm thinking that I still don't have the EGR fully turned off.

Since I'd found a bad O2 sensor I realized that the closed-loop file I'd sent Ben Head was probably not good, so I sent him the latest log file just to make sure he didn't work on a bad one.

Got a note back with a new tune he wanted me to try, and from the title of it I think he's turned adaptive learning off. He had me unhook the battery cable for a few minutes to reset the ECU, then load the tune, and drive it. I've just done that an emailed him the results.

But he also said "The tune looks really close. Is there anything it is doing you don't like?" I responded that the MIL came back on and it looks like the EGR may not be fully disabled. And that I'm trying to get the idle where I want it, but overall it is running good.

We shall see what he comes back with. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: