Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Now you understand why I went to the electronic speed control on Darth. They are much smoother and more responsive than a vacuum unit.

Yes, I fully understand. The electronic speed control is MUCH better than the vacuum units. LOVE IT!

How did you dial in your AFR with the wideband? Did you adjust the MAF curve?

Thanks, Jim. I, too, hope this radiator lasts far, far longer.

As for the session on the dyno, it actually isn't scheduled. In fact, the other day when I pushed Ben to schedule it he said I don't need it - unless I just want to pay him. Instead he said that if I adjust the AFR with the results of the wide-band that he will work with me to get the last bits sorted out, including the timing table.

Ben said he's done enough big-blocks that he knows very closely what timing the engine needs. So there's not much need to dyno it.

However, I've not given up on the dyno session. I'm not convinced I'm going to get all of the issues resolved myself, so it may take the pro to do so. (And, I'd kinda like to see the dyno numbers. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

But this sure is a different engine with the EFI on it. The combination of the large lower plenum and a carb wasn't a good one. As said, it wouldn't pull below 1200 R's, and now it'll pull from idle. Makes gear selection a whole different story and 2nd gear starts easy.

Ok, now I'm reading all the parameters in Binary Editor to see what to play with to get the cold-start idle down. It currently goes to about 1500 R's on the initial start when "cold". And maybe I should define what the various temps are:

• Cold Start: Below 60F engine coolant temp

• Warm: 60 - 120F

• Hot Start: above 170F

So given that the shop is roughly 70F then the engine should never be in "cold start mode" right now. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

One parameter I found is Idle Air Adder For ECT, meaning engine coolant temp. The table that came with this tune is shown below, and adds 304 RPM until 86F, tapering down to 0 at 160, holding that until 220 where it starts back up for cooling.

I'm not convinced this is the culprit as 304 + 648 = 952 R's and I'm seeing far more. But perhaps this is part of the problem? It would be easy enough to make this 0 until 220F to see what happens.

Idle_AIr_Adder_For_ECT.thumb.jpg.545b793db7fc2989810413ef5f9a93c0.jpg

But then there's Idle Speed Startup Adder Based Off ECT, and maybe the combination of the two could do it? In theory it shouldn't after the engine starts, but...

Idle_Speed_Startup_Adder_Based_Of_ECTJPG.thumb.jpg.6757e0725f99dea3cbd433de883fba30.jpg

Yes, I fully understand. The electronic speed control is MUCH better than the vacuum units. LOVE IT!

How did you dial in your AFR with the wideband? Did you adjust the MAF curve?

Gary, I haven't played with changing any of that, it will wait on the new engine. On the other you posted, let me see what mine is set for as my startup revs a bit cold, then fairly quickly drops down.

Gary, I haven't played with changing any of that, it will wait on the new engine. On the other you posted, let me see what mine is set for as my startup revs a bit cold, then fairly quickly drops down.

Bill - Maybe you could send me a copy of your tune file? That way I could easily do a compare in BE and see the differences.

Bill - Maybe you could send me a copy of your tune file? That way I could easily do a compare in BE and see the differences.

Bill - Thanks! Here are the differences I'm seeing in scalars, with my value on the left and yours on the right.

I've included things that don't matter to me due to my config but thought you might like to see them. And I see some things I want to explore, like Misfire Min RPM. That could prevent the misfire error.

What do you see?

Scalar Gary Bill Units Comment

ACT Based Adder for "X" Time 20 5 Seconds Don't yet know what this is

Bank 1 Downstream Rear HEGO Heater 1 0 Switch I should turn this off

Canister Purge Flow Test Disabled Enabled Switch And yet I'm getting an error

Dashpot MPH to Enable Declutch Clip 10 20 MPH Didn't change anything on Big Blue

Decceleration Calibration 900 1800 DEG/TIC^2/F# Don't understand this

ECT Lowest For DFSO 110 0 Deg F DFSO is Deceleration Fuel Shut Off

ECT Stabilization Time 8 0 Seconds Time to set flag to use O/L tables

EGR System Type Disabled Sonic Switch

Equilibrium Intake Surface Fuel Multiplier .125 .0938 Multiplier Larger INCREASES fuel in transition

Exhaust Temp Control Maximum Lambda 13.18 13.17 AFR

Fan Cntl ACT Delta to Resume Changing 4 8 Deg F I'm not controlling a fan

Highest ECT For Misfire Test 250 -20 Deg F Doubt this is "it" as I don't hit 200

Highest RPM For Inferred Movement 4000 4750 RPM ????

Idle Increase for Startup 0 104 RPM Add'l RPM added to clear engine

Idle Increase for Startup Time Sensitive 0 2 Sec 'Buzz RPM' added at startup

Idle Speed in Drive 648 704 RPM

Idle Speed in Neutral 648 800 RPM

Limit For MPH .02539 .09961 MPH ???

Load maximum to enable DFSO .09 .10 Load DFSO is Deceleration Fuel Shut Off

Lower Limit to Enter Dashpot RPM Cntl .4 .120 LBS/MIN

Lowest ECT Req'd To Use Rear Bias Cntl 120 160 Deg F

Lowest MPH Shift Confirm For 1st - 2nd 15 14.5 MPH

Lowest MPH Shift Confirm For 2nd - 3rd 26 22 MPH

Lowest MPH Shift Confirm For 3rd - 4th 41.5 40 MPH

Lowest RPM For Misfire Background Test 600 6000 RPM

Lowest RPM To Turn Fuel On 200 400 RPM

Lowest RPM To Use Proportional Bias 1000 1200 RPM

Lowest Time In CL Before Bias Trim 10 3 Sec

Lowest TP Confirm For 3rd - 4th Shift .64 .54 Volts

Min Time after Crank to Allow Misfire Mon 255 240 Sec

Misfire Percentage Limit For Emissions .02499 .03101 %

Misfire RPM Minimum 600 6000 RPM This could be IT!

Neutral to Drive Transition Delay .375 .750 Sec

P0385 901 0 None Misfire code

P1746 EPC Open Circuit Fault Up Cntr 25 10 Events EPC Solenoid Open Circuit

Rear Bias Control Highest ECT 210 220 Deg F

Rev Limit 0 Low Gear Enabled 4800 7000 RPM Is this in Low Range? There's an input.

Rev Limit Neutral Enable 4800 7000 RPM

RPM above idle to enable DFSO 700 800 RPM

SW For OBD2 MIL 247 118 Bit/Mask

SW For OBD2 Test 243 114 Bit/Mask

Throttle Prog @ Low TP Accel To Unlock 50 75 ADCT throttle progression can unlock TQ

Time Con for Idle Intgr Underspeed 5 3 Sec

Transmission Load 1 6 Enum 1 = Manual no switches: 6 = Auto

Transmission Type 0 4 Enum 0=no trans cntl; 4=C6E4 (E4OD)

WOT Shift RPM 1st - 2nd 4x4 Low 8000 4300 RPM You don't have 4wd & I have a manual

WOT Shift RPM 2nd - 3rd 4x4 Low 8000 4300 RPM You don't have 4wd & I have a manual

WOT Shift RPM 3rd - 4th 4x4 Low 8000 4300 RPM You don't have 4wd & I have a manual

Bill - Thanks! Here are the differences I'm seeing in scalars, with my value on the left and yours on the right.

I've included things that don't matter to me due to my config but thought you might like to see them. And I see some things I want to explore, like Misfire Min RPM. That could prevent the misfire error.

What do you see?

Scalar Gary Bill Units Comment

ACT Based Adder for "X" Time 20 5 Seconds Don't yet know what this is

Bank 1 Downstream Rear HEGO Heater 1 0 Switch I should turn this off

Canister Purge Flow Test Disabled Enabled Switch And yet I'm getting an error

Dashpot MPH to Enable Declutch Clip 10 20 MPH Didn't change anything on Big Blue

Decceleration Calibration 900 1800 DEG/TIC^2/F# Don't understand this

ECT Lowest For DFSO 110 0 Deg F DFSO is Deceleration Fuel Shut Off

ECT Stabilization Time 8 0 Seconds Time to set flag to use O/L tables

EGR System Type Disabled Sonic Switch

Equilibrium Intake Surface Fuel Multiplier .125 .0938 Multiplier Larger INCREASES fuel in transition

Exhaust Temp Control Maximum Lambda 13.18 13.17 AFR

Fan Cntl ACT Delta to Resume Changing 4 8 Deg F I'm not controlling a fan

Highest ECT For Misfire Test 250 -20 Deg F Doubt this is "it" as I don't hit 200

Highest RPM For Inferred Movement 4000 4750 RPM ????

Idle Increase for Startup 0 104 RPM Add'l RPM added to clear engine

Idle Increase for Startup Time Sensitive 0 2 Sec 'Buzz RPM' added at startup

Idle Speed in Drive 648 704 RPM

Idle Speed in Neutral 648 800 RPM

Limit For MPH .02539 .09961 MPH ???

Load maximum to enable DFSO .09 .10 Load DFSO is Deceleration Fuel Shut Off

Lower Limit to Enter Dashpot RPM Cntl .4 .120 LBS/MIN

Lowest ECT Req'd To Use Rear Bias Cntl 120 160 Deg F

Lowest MPH Shift Confirm For 1st - 2nd 15 14.5 MPH

Lowest MPH Shift Confirm For 2nd - 3rd 26 22 MPH

Lowest MPH Shift Confirm For 3rd - 4th 41.5 40 MPH

Lowest RPM For Misfire Background Test 600 6000 RPM

Lowest RPM To Turn Fuel On 200 400 RPM

Lowest RPM To Use Proportional Bias 1000 1200 RPM

Lowest Time In CL Before Bias Trim 10 3 Sec

Lowest TP Confirm For 3rd - 4th Shift .64 .54 Volts

Min Time after Crank to Allow Misfire Mon 255 240 Sec

Misfire Percentage Limit For Emissions .02499 .03101 %

Misfire RPM Minimum 600 6000 RPM This could be IT!

Neutral to Drive Transition Delay .375 .750 Sec

P0385 901 0 None Misfire code

P1746 EPC Open Circuit Fault Up Cntr 25 10 Events EPC Solenoid Open Circuit

Rear Bias Control Highest ECT 210 220 Deg F

Rev Limit 0 Low Gear Enabled 4800 7000 RPM Is this in Low Range? There's an input.

Rev Limit Neutral Enable 4800 7000 RPM

RPM above idle to enable DFSO 700 800 RPM

SW For OBD2 MIL 247 118 Bit/Mask

SW For OBD2 Test 243 114 Bit/Mask

Throttle Prog @ Low TP Accel To Unlock 50 75 ADCT throttle progression can unlock TQ

Time Con for Idle Intgr Underspeed 5 3 Sec

Transmission Load 1 6 Enum 1 = Manual no switches: 6 = Auto

Transmission Type 0 4 Enum 0=no trans cntl; 4=C6E4 (E4OD)

WOT Shift RPM 1st - 2nd 4x4 Low 8000 4300 RPM You don't have 4wd & I have a manual

WOT Shift RPM 2nd - 3rd 4x4 Low 8000 4300 RPM You don't have 4wd & I have a manual

WOT Shift RPM 3rd - 4th 4x4 Low 8000 4300 RPM You don't have 4wd & I have a manual

Bill - Please don't miss the "What do you see" question above.

BUT, I see a huge difference in my Dashpot Maximum Based off Vehicle Speed vs yours. In the screen snag below mine is on the left and yours on the right. This is the table I modified to get the R's to come down when shifting, but it also made a major difference in compression braking.

The way yours is set up you have a whole lot of dashpot built in at all speeds. And with your Dashpot MPH to Enable Declutch Clip of 20 MPH you'll have a high RPM when coasting until you hit 20, and then it'll start coming down - slowly.

If I were you I'd change it to something like .2 all the way and test it. That should give you plenty of ISC airflow to have a good idle and not stall, but make a big difference in compression braking above 20 MPH. Then if that works drop it to .1 and see if you still have a good idle.

Dashpot_vs_MPH_Comparison.thumb.jpg.8e3966c0106da75dc1b95c368b5532fb.jpg

Bill - Please don't miss the "What do you see" question above.

BUT, I see a huge difference in my Dashpot Maximum Based off Vehicle Speed vs yours. In the screen snag below mine is on the left and yours on the right. This is the table I modified to get the R's to come down when shifting, but it also made a major difference in compression braking.

The way yours is set up you have a whole lot of dashpot built in at all speeds. And with your Dashpot MPH to Enable Declutch Clip of 20 MPH you'll have a high RPM when coasting until you hit 20, and then it'll start coming down - slowly.

If I were you I'd change it to something like .2 all the way and test it. That should give you plenty of ISC airflow to have a good idle and not stall, but make a big difference in compression braking above 20 MPH. Then if that works drop it to .1 and see if you still have a good idle.

Right now Darth is not being driven due to either a blown left head gasket or a cracked head. Neither of which will even be investigated until the new engine is installed, after that I will probably disassemble the old one.

Right now Darth is not being driven due to either a blown left head gasket or a cracked head. Neither of which will even be investigated until the new engine is installed, after that I will probably disassemble the old one.

Bummer! So when is the new engine going in?