Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

Morning report - It's BAAAAACK! The "write" that Ben did last night put me right back to where I was, with the engine running very nicely. However, it took a while to clean out the plugs for it to run smoothly, but after a few minutes of running it is there.

I took it on about a 20 mile jaunt and have several observations from it:

• Speed Control: I absolutely LOVE the newer all-electronic speed control. It really operates much more like one from a modern vehicle. It doesn't work the throttle much as the vacuum is smooth and you don't feel the adjustments it makes. And Resume is nice and smooth, meaning you can engage it 20 MPH below the set point and it'll take you up there at a reasonable pace.

• Engine: I really think this thing runs more smoothly than it ever did on the carb. It even has a different exhaust note with the EFI than it did with the carb as there isn't a resonant point that I've detected like there was before. Plus, it now pulls nicely from idle up where with the carb it didn't like to pull below 1200 RPM. I can take corners in third now that I used to take in 2nd. And there are no dead spots, no tip-in issues, nada.

• AFR: I don't yet know what the actual AFR is, but looking at the AFR the computer was calling for I'm seeing from a low of 13.2 when climbing pretty steep hills to a high of 15.4 when descending hills. But when on reasonably-level ground it is calling for 14.7.

• MPG: I don't yet know the actual/true MPG either. But, I have figured out a bit about the MPG and IMPG figures that are being logged. IMPG is "instantaneous" MPG and on my run on cruise at 64 true MPH I saw a low of 6.7 IMPG, which was when the called-for AFR was 13.2, and a high of 31.6. But it seemed to run around 13 - 14 IMPG when on level ground - of which there was precious little.

And "MPG" is an average of IMPG, but I don't know what causes it to reset. I suspect it would if I closed Binary Editor and opened it again, but it doesn't reset if you just stop recording the parameters and start again. So it averaged my startup and a bit of idling in the driveway and then my ~20 mile jaunt, which was tooling through the neighborhood for a mile or so and then accelerating to 64 and running there on cruise for ~9 miles up and down hill, stopping to turn around, and then coming back at 64 MPH on cruise. And that average was 11.03 MPG, but it was climbing slowly as I drove.

So I'm a happy camper. Except that I'm not sure Janey's computer is going to work to make changes. It is a laptop and a few months ago the battery went bad and became swollen. That apparently pushed on the keyboard enough to damage it, but we didn't notice that because she uses it as a work station with an outboard monitor and keyboard. But I'm having a serious problem even typing on it enough to get Binary Editor loaded. Maybe if I go back to the outboard keyboard I can get that done. We shall see. :nabble_anim_working:

Awesome, Gary. Your perseverance continues to reward you! I think you need to get Janey a new computer, though:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Awesome, Gary. Your perseverance continues to reward you! I think you need to get Janey a new computer, though:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Thanks, guys. I think it will have been well worth it when the dust settles. But in the midst of the battle it has had its ups and downs. High ups and low downs. Yesterday was a LOW down.

As for the computer, this one does what she wants it to do. And I need one that works well w/o a separate keyboard.

But I'm hoping that I can use the tablet to get Binary Editor all set up, give the tune to the laptop on a thumb drive, and then write it using the laptop. However, if anyone has a recommendation on an inexpensive Windows laptop with at least two USB ports, please let me know.

Thanks, guys. I think it will have been well worth it when the dust settles. But in the midst of the battle it has had its ups and downs. High ups and low downs. Yesterday was a LOW down.

As for the computer, this one does what she wants it to do. And I need one that works well w/o a separate keyboard.

But I'm hoping that I can use the tablet to get Binary Editor all set up, give the tune to the laptop on a thumb drive, and then write it using the laptop. However, if anyone has a recommendation on an inexpensive Windows laptop with at least two USB ports, please let me know.

Sorry if I missed something earlier, but do you need 2 USB ports? Or would it work to use a USB splitter?

Sorry if I missed something earlier, but do you need 2 USB ports? Or would it work to use a USB splitter?

A splitter is a no-no I'm told. Apparently when the ECU is being written to any glitch "bricks" it. And every once in a while the application polls the dongle that says you've paid for it and are licensed to use it. If that happens when you are writing you are toast.

That's apparently what happened yesterday. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Suggestion, try a pawn shop or someplace that repairs laptops and get a used one just for tuning (Just be sure it didn't belong to Hunter Biden :nabble_smiley_happy:)

A splitter is a no-no I'm told. Apparently when the ECU is being written to any glitch "bricks" it. And every once in a while the application polls the dongle that says you've paid for it and are licensed to use it. If that happens when you are writing you are toast.

That's apparently what happened yesterday. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I THINK I have Janey's laptop set up with Binary Editor working. I hope to find out tomorrow. But I want to record here how I got there in case I need to do it again.

After downloading and installing Binary Editor and all the prereq's onto the laptop I put everything from the Critical Tuning folder on this tablet onto a thumb drive and then put that in the laptop. But BE wouldn't take it, and as it turned out it needed both the strategy [AGANN] and the calibration [AGANNQ3 (YER2)] as well as the tune. And I couldn't find the strategy nor the calibration.

About then I got a call from Cody of Leech Motorsports, who has a Youtube channel on which I'd asked a question. Turns out he wasn't calling about my question but about the forum and the show in September. They, he and the other two guys in the company, are just down the road in Stroud and may come up for it. One of them has a Bullnose and another has an OBS. Plus, they specialize in the EEC-IV EFI systems.

After getting off the phone I searched for "Binary Editor" and "Installing strategy" and found a Youtube on

- by Leech Motorsports. And the guy on there sounded a whole lot like Cody. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sure enough, he had the right info and I got the Strategy & the Calibration loaded and then the tune, so I think I'm all set. I'll cause BE to compare the tune on the laptop with that in the ECU, and they should be the same. If so I'll then change the dashpot #'s and write that in. If that goes well I'll take it for a spin and let y'all know if I'm getting there.

And I now see that there are several more Youtubes from Leech on using BE, so I need to watch them. I may figure this thing out yet!

Suggestion, try a pawn shop or someplace that repairs laptops and get a used one just for tuning (Just be sure it didn't belong to Hunter Biden :nabble_smiley_happy:)

Bill - Missed your post. But that's a good idea. However, if my plan works I can make all my changes on this tablet, save the tune to the thumb drive, pop that in the laptop and read it. That way I don't need the keyboard on the laptop.

However, if Janey needs her laptop back I may have to check with the pawn shops. We have one in town.

Bill - Missed your post. But that's a good idea. However, if my plan works I can make all my changes on this tablet, save the tune to the thumb drive, pop that in the laptop and read it. That way I don't need the keyboard on the laptop.

However, if Janey needs her laptop back I may have to check with the pawn shops. We have one in town.

The good news is that there is no bad news. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I got Janey's laptop to work and wrote a new tune to the ECU with the dashpot values lowered from .4 to .2, as shown below on the right. And on the left you can see the original values.

We took it for a spin which confirmed that I'm on the right track. But I think I'll drop it to 0 to see what happens as the R's don't seem to come down as quickly as I remember them doing with the carb. So I want to see what 0 does.

Dashpot_Setting_-_Original.thumb.jpg.30191bb88c36266ebd2ec75bfef4795f.jpgDashpot_Setting_02.thumb.jpg.58918fe1a9bba019f41df0997771e7c3.jpg

The good news is that there is no bad news. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I got Janey's laptop to work and wrote a new tune to the ECU with the dashpot values lowered from .4 to .2, as shown below on the right. And on the left you can see the original values.

We took it for a spin which confirmed that I'm on the right track. But I think I'll drop it to 0 to see what happens as the R's don't seem to come down as quickly as I remember them doing with the carb. So I want to see what 0 does.

Sounds good! Sort of like I did with my E4OD settings. I set the converter clutch unlock high enough in throttle % that if the converter unlocks it is followed almost immediately by a downshift.

Just get it the way you want it to drive.

Sounds good! Sort of like I did with my E4OD settings. I set the converter clutch unlock high enough in throttle % that if the converter unlocks it is followed almost immediately by a downshift.

Just get it the way you want it to drive.

That's what I'm doing, Bill. One setting at a time.

But I still have several things to sort, including:

• AFR: Gotta get the wide-band installed and then sort out the AFR. In my reading it may taking tweaking of the injector values, which still haven't been updated to match the 26# units I installed. And the MAF curve.

• Timing: Ben Head said he will dial the timing in for me and doesn't think I'll need to bring it down to OKC to do that.

• Cold Start: The idle is going to 1500 R's on a cold start, and that's way too much. Gotta figure out how to reduce that.

• Error Codes: Still getting the codes for vapor canister and missfire, even though those are turned off.

But apparently all that is doable via Binary Editor. I just need to learn how to do it.