Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Shaun. I'll have the door open but it'll be inside the shop so will be pretty quiet and maybe I can hear it. Hoping to do that tomorrow after I put the gauges back in and add the seats.

I've already connected the battery long enough to test a couple of things. The lights and the horn work. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I need to connect the ECU then connect the battery and turn the key. We shall see. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Mid-day report: We have fuel! I connected the ECU, connected the battery, and turned the key. Amoung the buzzing of warning devices was about 2 seconds of fuel pump. Depressed the Schrader valve and got a hiss of compressed air. On the 4th such try I got gasoline. And I see no leaks. :nabble_anim_jump:

Next step is to set the timing per Bill's instructions. She's sitting on 13 BTDC as close as I can tell. :nabble_smiley_super:

Mid-day report: We have fuel! I connected the ECU, connected the battery, and turned the key. Amoung the buzzing of warning devices was about 2 seconds of fuel pump. Depressed the Schrader valve and got a hiss of compressed air. On the 4th such try I got gasoline. And I see no leaks. :nabble_anim_jump:Next step is to set the timing per Bill's instructions. She's sitting on 13 BTDC as close as I can tell. :nabble_smiley_super:
Mid-afternoon report:

via GIPHY

#5 alive! :nabble_anim_jump:

Excellent! How does it sound with einspritz rather than a vergasser?

It sounds great, Bill. Smoother than on the vergasser. But there are some issues, and I'll need your help to sort through them.

However, before going there let me post some videos and pics in order to ask questions. BRB... :nabble_anim_working:

It sounds great, Bill. Smoother than on the vergasser. But there are some issues, and I'll need your help to sort through them.

However, before going there let me post some videos and pics in order to ask questions. BRB... :nabble_anim_working:

First - I'm getting error codes I shouldn't be getting. I'm getting Evap Control Valve malfunction; EGR pressure sensor & solenoid malfunction; & Crankshaft Position Sensor malfunction. But all of those are supposedly turned off in the ECU. I'll check tomorrow, but it has been a loooooong time since I used BE so do you have any suggestions.

Next, the idle speed is high as it is running around 850 RPM, as shown in the screen grab from BE, below. I'm assuming there is a way to adjust that in BE? IIRC it is set at 650.

Last, what do you see from this screenshot that gets your attention? I'm trying to understand what it is telling me and I'm hoping the BE Help document will let me figure that out.

Screenshot_(73).thumb.png.8ded5d0a219f96d763f593dd334c5b63.png

First - I'm getting error codes I shouldn't be getting. I'm getting Evap Control Valve malfunction; EGR pressure sensor & solenoid malfunction; & Crankshaft Position Sensor malfunction. But all of those are supposedly turned off in the ECU. I'll check tomorrow, but it has been a loooooong time since I used BE so do you have any suggestions.

Next, the idle speed is high as it is running around 850 RPM, as shown in the screen grab from BE, below. I'm assuming there is a way to adjust that in BE? IIRC it is set at 650.

Last, what do you see from this screenshot that gets your attention? I'm trying to understand what it is telling me and I'm hoping the BE Help document will let me figure that out.

Gary, I need to go start getting dinner ready (and feed the wireless doorbell) and will look at it in depth and see what looks wonky.

Idle speed may be the stop screw set to high on the BBK throttle body.

First - I'm getting error codes I shouldn't be getting. I'm getting Evap Control Valve malfunction; EGR pressure sensor & solenoid malfunction; & Crankshaft Position Sensor malfunction. But all of those are supposedly turned off in the ECU. I'll check tomorrow, but it has been a loooooong time since I used BE so do you have any suggestions.Next, the idle speed is high as it is running around 850 RPM, as shown in the screen grab from BE, below. I'm assuming there is a way to adjust that in BE? IIRC it is set at 650.Last, what do you see from this screenshot that gets your attention? I'm trying to understand what it is telling me and I'm hoping the BE Help document will let me figure that out.
Well, while I'm waiting for the startup video to be saved to the One Drive, here's feature I like about EFI - turn the key to OFF and the engine dies. NOW! Not a lingering, horrible, please-don't-kill-me death, but an instant death. So cool!

Ok, first on your BE, go to home tab, then all scalars in the left hand pane. This will bring up everything in the center. Scroll down until you come to "EGR System Type" this needs to be set to "2" for no EGR which will disable it.

Crankshaft position sensor malfunction. Do you have the misfire sensor installed and connected and the proper trigger? If you do not, then go down to the misfire area and see if it looks like mine.

2022-04-19_(2).thumb.png.b6945d8d6cb9c519ca9682a64b8b1834.png

On idle speed, disconnect and plug the IAC inlet and the hose that feeds it and set the base idle to a little below where you want it to run with no AC on. Since you have a larger than stock TB, it may take some experimentation.

Ok, first on your BE, go to home tab, then all scalars in the left hand pane. This will bring up everything in the center. Scroll down until you come to "EGR System Type" this needs to be set to "2" for no EGR which will disable it.

Crankshaft position sensor malfunction. Do you have the misfire sensor installed and connected and the proper trigger? If you do not, then go down to the misfire area and see if it looks like mine.

On idle speed, disconnect and plug the IAC inlet and the hose that feeds it and set the base idle to a little below where you want it to run with no AC on. Since you have a larger than stock TB, it may take some experimentation.

Bill - Thanks a bunch. Here's what I've found:

• EGR System Type: It shows as Disabled, although it red - what does red mean? I don't have the ability to set it to "2". Just Sonic, PFE, or Disabled.

• Misfire Detector: I don't have it, but my minimum was set to 5.0, not 240. So I'll set mine to 240.

• Canister Purge: There are four settings: Canister Purge Compensation Strategy; Canister Purge Flow Test; Canister Purge Flow Threshold; & Canister Purge Test Strategy. On mine the Purge Flow Test was disabled.

Now, that's what I'm seeing on my laptop. Is it possible that's not what is in the ECU?

On the idle speed, your process makes sense. Thanks, I'll do that.

Lots of other questions:

• Where do I find what the Datalog TAG's are? I can double-click the items on the dashboard and see what the TAG's are, but I'd like to change some things on the dashboard.

• Do the readouts for lambda seem reasonble? My understanding is that 1.00 means the AFR is 14.7.

Right?

• What do the readings for HEGO1 & 2 mean?

Thanks, a bunch! I have a lot to learn.

Bill - Thanks a bunch. Here's what I've found:

• EGR System Type: It shows as Disabled, although it red - what does red mean? I don't have the ability to set it to "2". Just Sonic, PFE, or Disabled.

• Misfire Detector: I don't have it, but my minimum was set to 5.0, not 240. So I'll set mine to 240.

• Canister Purge: There are four settings: Canister Purge Compensation Strategy; Canister Purge Flow Test; Canister Purge Flow Threshold; & Canister Purge Test Strategy. On mine the Purge Flow Test was disabled.

Now, that's what I'm seeing on my laptop. Is it possible that's not what is in the ECU?

On the idle speed, your process makes sense. Thanks, I'll do that.

Lots of other questions:

• Where do I find what the Datalog TAG's are? I can double-click the items on the dashboard and see what the TAG's are, but I'd like to change some things on the dashboard.

• Do the readouts for lambda seem reasonble? My understanding is that 1.00 means the AFR is 14.7.

Right?

• What do the readings for HEGO1 & 2 mean?

Thanks, a bunch! I have a lot to learn.

And, here's the video of the start: