Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Then I'd have to rewire something that is already working. If the intake has to come off the A/C compressor can stay on. So if I just use a male/female 1/4" connector to join the 96's DG/O compressor sense wire to the 85 compressor control's BK/Y then I can easily pull the engine harness.

However, I just spotted the statement in the 85 EVTM that the 8500 lb and up trucks didn't get the snubber diode. Doubt the ECU would be very happy about that, so I'll have to add one.

Bill - Next question. I'm looking at the pinouts on C103, which appears to be essentially for the transmission, and don't believe that I need it.

Here are the pinouts and circuits, and the only one in question is Ckt 15, the Transmission Range Selector.

C103.thumb.jpg.a2bbf643ddc448cb6b49694a0be9833f.jpg

Oddly enough the 96 EVTM shows that circuit on this page for the ECU, but when you go to Page 30-1 it isn't there. Is it needed for a manual transmission implementations? I have the ECU set up for a manual tranny.

Engine_Controls_-_Transmission_Controls.thumb.jpg.4a517ff0894319243348ed6b0447852f.jpg

Bill - Next question. I'm looking at the pinouts on C103, which appears to be essentially for the transmission, and don't believe that I need it.

Here are the pinouts and circuits, and the only one in question is Ckt 15, the Transmission Range Selector.

Oddly enough the 96 EVTM shows that circuit on this page for the ECU, but when you go to Page 30-1 it isn't there. Is it needed for a manual transmission implementations? I have the ECU set up for a manual tranny.

You need 140 backup lamps, 298 power for backup lamps, 784 as it tells the EEC you are in low range (may not be needed as it possibly keeps from engine over rev with the E4OD), 210 if you have 4X4 and Low range indicators.

You need 140 backup lamps, 298 power for backup lamps, 784 as it tells the EEC you are in low range (may not be needed as it possibly keeps from engine over rev with the E4OD), 210 if you have 4X4 and Low range indicators.

Ok, let me address those:

• 140: That circuit is from the transmission to the backup lights, and I already have that circuit connected to the ZF5. So why would I need it here as it doesn't go to the ECU that I can see.

• 298: Ditto 140.

• 784: I have the 4wd signal from the transfer case and will be feeding that signal to the ECU for Low Range. The t-case grounds in 4wd and that's what the ECU is looking for. But I don't need this whole connector, just the wire going to the ECU.

• 210: I already have the signal from the t-case that causes the 4wd light to come on.

So I think I can do away with C103 and all the wiring for it save for the LB/BK wire, which will be taken to the LB wire/210 circuit. Yes?

• 140: That circuit is from the transmission to the backup lights, and I already have that circuit connected to the ZF5. So why would I need it here as it doesn't go to the ECU that I can see.

• 784: I have the 4wd signal from the transfer case and will be feeding that signal to the ECU for Low Range. The t-case grounds in 4wd and that's what the ECU is looking for. But I don't need this whole connector, just the wire going to the ECU.

• 210: I already have the signal from the t-case that causes the 4wd light to come on.

So I think I can do away with C103 and all the wiring for it save for the LB/BK wire, which will be taken to the LB wire/210 circuit. Yes?

Well, things are starting to take shape. :nabble_anim_jump:

I removed a number of wires today, including the headlight, marker lamp, and turn signal wires. And with Bill's help I've identified all of the connectors including some that can be removed, along with their wiring.

So in the near future I'll have this bag of snakes pared down to something reasonable. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But, I thought I should pass on a few tricks I've been using to identify circuits. First, the '96 EVTM has a diagram for many of the connectors and that diagram shows the wire color and circuit number on a by-pin basis. But there's no way to search the EVTM as I have it in paper form, so I needed a way to at least get it pared down to a section of the EVTM.

Fortunately in many cases I've been able to find either the wire color or the circuit number in the Standard Wire & Color Code document (Documentation/Electrical/Standard Wire & Color Code). Ford has been very consistent with their wire colors and circuit numbering, so that got me to the right section of the EVTM and I was usually able to find the circuit.

Probably so. I used it because of the E4OD in Darth.

Well, things are starting to take shape. :nabble_anim_jump:

I removed a number of wires today, including the headlight, marker lamp, and turn signal wires. And with Bill's help I've identified all of the connectors including some that can be removed, along with their wiring.

So in the near future I'll have this bag of snakes pared down to something reasonable. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But, I thought I should pass on a few tricks I've been using to identify circuits. First, the '96 EVTM has a diagram for many of the connectors and that diagram shows the wire color and circuit number on a by-pin basis. But there's no way to search the EVTM as I have it in paper form, so I needed a way to at least get it pared down to a section of the EVTM.

Fortunately in many cases I've been able to find either the wire color or the circuit number in the Standard Wire & Color Code document (Documentation/Electrical/Standard Wire & Color Code). Ford has been very consistent with their wire colors and circuit numbering, so that got me to the right section of the EVTM and I was usually able to find the circuit.

Ford and GM are both very good with that, I found in doing some work on a 1958 Country Squire (I was building it to run the Cannonball Baker) that installing a later steering column, all the turn signal colors were the same.

That was an interesting project, engine was a ex NASCAR 430 MEL, .030 over, big popup pistons (Slant deck block like a Chevy W block), solid lifter cam of unknown specs, seemed best at .018" cold clearance. 4 speed single coupling Hydramatic on a B&M adapter. 2.69:1 gear and using 235/75R15 Michelin radials. 1973 Galaxy front disc brakes, a big copper brass cross flow radiator mounted in front of the normal location due to the size of the MEL block. Crank mounted PS pump, hydraulic wipers. I had a local shop in NN build me an exhaust system using 2.5" mandrel bends with an H pipe as the MEL has no exhaust crossover. I built the throttle linkage to correctly operate the TV lever on the Hydramatic, with a 1961-65 Lincoln throttle relay bracket and bell crank. WOT, the TV lever was at the detent, push further and the bracket would drop down 1/2" against a spring, pulling the Hydramatic TV lever through the detent.

Engine idled at 650, below that it would idle, but stumble, 1963-65 Lincoln AFB with the air valve stops removed so it would open against the secondary throttle plates. From a standing start, one car length and then start spinning the rear wheels.

Unfortunately when my father sold Preston out from under me, the car was stored at a friend's shop. I went to check the antifreeze and he and his business along with the car were gone.

Ford and GM are both very good with that, I found in doing some work on a 1958 Country Squire (I was building it to run the Cannonball Baker) that installing a later steering column, all the turn signal colors were the same.

That was an interesting project, engine was a ex NASCAR 430 MEL, .030 over, big popup pistons (Slant deck block like a Chevy W block), solid lifter cam of unknown specs, seemed best at .018" cold clearance. 4 speed single coupling Hydramatic on a B&M adapter. 2.69:1 gear and using 235/75R15 Michelin radials. 1973 Galaxy front disc brakes, a big copper brass cross flow radiator mounted in front of the normal location due to the size of the MEL block. Crank mounted PS pump, hydraulic wipers. I had a local shop in NN build me an exhaust system using 2.5" mandrel bends with an H pipe as the MEL has no exhaust crossover. I built the throttle linkage to correctly operate the TV lever on the Hydramatic, with a 1961-65 Lincoln throttle relay bracket and bell crank. WOT, the TV lever was at the detent, push further and the bracket would drop down 1/2" against a spring, pulling the Hydramatic TV lever through the detent.

Engine idled at 650, below that it would idle, but stumble, 1963-65 Lincoln AFB with the air valve stops removed so it would open against the secondary throttle plates. From a standing start, one car length and then start spinning the rear wheels.

Unfortunately when my father sold Preston out from under me, the car was stored at a friend's shop. I went to check the antifreeze and he and his business along with the car were gone.

Ok, I think I'm set for another round on the harnii, but only tomorrow afternoon 'cause we have errands to run in the morning.

As for that engine, I didn't realize Ford had an engine similar to the Chevy W-block. Must have been a monster with that compression and cam. Wow!

Hydraulic wipers? And a crank-mounted pump? Interesting.

But removing the stops on the AFB surely required some feathering of the throttle. I did that on the WCFB on my W-block and it would fall on its face with too much throttle. Basically it didn't help, but gave me the opportunity to play a bit.

Maybe your carb was smaller in comparison to the size of the engine than mine vs the 348? I think my WCFB was 500 CFM?

Ok, I think I'm set for another round on the harnii, but only tomorrow afternoon 'cause we have errands to run in the morning.

As for that engine, I didn't realize Ford had an engine similar to the Chevy W-block. Must have been a monster with that compression and cam. Wow!

Hydraulic wipers? And a crank-mounted pump? Interesting.

But removing the stops on the AFB surely required some feathering of the throttle. I did that on the WCFB on my W-block and it would fall on its face with too much throttle. Basically it didn't help, but gave me the opportunity to play a bit.

Maybe your carb was smaller in comparison to the size of the engine than mine vs the 348? I think my WCFB was 500 CFM?

The air valve was still in there, it would just open further once the secondaries opened. The Lincoln AFB was about the same size as the ones the 409 single 4 barrel and the Pontiac 421s used, probably around 700-750 cfm.

The 1958 MEL engine (Google it, especially the 1958 Super Marauder) was a monster, 375 hp at 4600 rpm, 490 ft-lbs torque at 3100 rpm, Super Marauder was the first factory 400 hp engine. I found out quickly why a lot of those engines were fitted with a torque link. They could and did wring axles, drive shafts etc. from the torque. 4.3" bore, 3.7" stroke so smaller bore and longer stroke than a 429 Deck angle was 10° where the Chevy was 16°. I had an issue even though the car was never finished, get on it, and it would pull the crankcase breather cap off against the battery.

I used stock 1958 Ford/Edsel/Mercury mounts, but since the cars these engines were installed in had longer front frames than the Ford, I modified the frame perches by welding a 1/4" thick plate underneath the perch on the tubular cross member to move the mounts forward about 3" and down 3/16". This put the big racing oil pan sump ahead of the crossmember and it's bottom was flush with it. The MEL sat at a more pronounced angle in the frame, since I had an EDJ (part prefix for the MEL) intake I set it in place and adjusted the back of the engine so the carburetor flange was level. Due to the radiator location between the hood springs (front hinged) there was no reaching a cap, I used an expansion tank from a 61-64 FE engine and it fit perfectly, right next to the fuel pump.

The air valve was still in there, it would just open further once the secondaries opened. The Lincoln AFB was about the same size as the ones the 409 single 4 barrel and the Pontiac 421s used, probably around 700-750 cfm.

The 1958 MEL engine (Google it, especially the 1958 Super Marauder) was a monster, 375 hp at 4600 rpm, 490 ft-lbs torque at 3100 rpm, Super Marauder was the first factory 400 hp engine. I found out quickly why a lot of those engines were fitted with a torque link. They could and did wring axles, drive shafts etc. from the torque. 4.3" bore, 3.7" stroke so smaller bore and longer stroke than a 429 Deck angle was 10° where the Chevy was 16°. I had an issue even though the car was never finished, get on it, and it would pull the crankcase breather cap off against the battery.

I used stock 1958 Ford/Edsel/Mercury mounts, but since the cars these engines were installed in had longer front frames than the Ford, I modified the frame perches by welding a 1/4" thick plate underneath the perch on the tubular cross member to move the mounts forward about 3" and down 3/16". This put the big racing oil pan sump ahead of the crossmember and it's bottom was flush with it. The MEL sat at a more pronounced angle in the frame, since I had an EDJ (part prefix for the MEL) intake I set it in place and adjusted the back of the engine so the carburetor flange was level. Due to the radiator location between the hood springs (front hinged) there was no reaching a cap, I used an expansion tank from a 61-64 FE engine and it fit perfectly, right next to the fuel pump.

My air valve was still there, but it would open immediately if the secondaries opened. So you had to feather the throttle.

Interesting! I did Google the MEL and found lots, inc this snipped:

All MEL engines had wedge-shaped combustion chambers formed between a flat head surface and an angle milled block deck (10 degrees off square with the bore axis), with the piston top determining the compression ratio and combustion chamber shape, similar to the Chevrolet Big-Block 348 combustion chamber, also introduced in 1958, and the later 409 and 427. Unlike the Chevrolet, which had staggered valves and scalloped or M shaped valve covers, the MEL valves were inline with shaft mounted rocker arms like the FE model Ford engines which were introduced at the same time.

Interesting to see that the MEL used the FE valve arrangement while the W-blocks used the porcupine arrangement that was made famous by the 396.

My 348 didn't have as much torque as that 430, but it did have a lot. I could lay the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft over at any time with a full-throttle run. And taking off from idle required no gas whatsoever - ease the clutch out in first, shift to second, and you'd idle down the street at 17 MPH. And with the 3.08 gears it cruised at 100 easily.

Now, if I can just get this EFI system going properly I suspect Big Blue's 460 will become my new favorite engine. In carb'd form it ran well, but seeing what was happening to the AFR I know there was a lot of performance and efficiency (note that I didn't use the word "economy") left on the table. So I'm really looking forward to seeing the EEC-V computer doing its thing.

Remind me, please, how to do data logging with Binary Editor. Or, does it not do it?

My air valve was still there, but it would open immediately if the secondaries opened. So you had to feather the throttle.

Interesting! I did Google the MEL and found lots, inc this snipped:

All MEL engines had wedge-shaped combustion chambers formed between a flat head surface and an angle milled block deck (10 degrees off square with the bore axis), with the piston top determining the compression ratio and combustion chamber shape, similar to the Chevrolet Big-Block 348 combustion chamber, also introduced in 1958, and the later 409 and 427. Unlike the Chevrolet, which had staggered valves and scalloped or M shaped valve covers, the MEL valves were inline with shaft mounted rocker arms like the FE model Ford engines which were introduced at the same time.

Interesting to see that the MEL used the FE valve arrangement while the W-blocks used the porcupine arrangement that was made famous by the 396.

My 348 didn't have as much torque as that 430, but it did have a lot. I could lay the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft over at any time with a full-throttle run. And taking off from idle required no gas whatsoever - ease the clutch out in first, shift to second, and you'd idle down the street at 17 MPH. And with the 3.08 gears it cruised at 100 easily.

Now, if I can just get this EFI system going properly I suspect Big Blue's 460 will become my new favorite engine. In carb'd form it ran well, but seeing what was happening to the AFR I know there was a lot of performance and efficiency (note that I didn't use the word "economy") left on the table. So I'm really looking forward to seeing the EEC-V computer doing its thing.

Remind me, please, how to do data logging with Binary Editor. Or, does it not do it?

Biggest difference, the MEL had no paired ports, they were just like the Windsors, 335 and 385 engines alternated E and I placement. The one I had, having been a race engine, had polished intake ports and an Algon injection system with it. You could almost reach in an intake port and grab the valve.

Three thermostats to help with warmup, two in the front of each cylinder bank (140°) and one at the front of the intake manifold (180°).