Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I think the Dremel with a carbide burr may do it. I'm going to lunch and will come back and give that a try. I want to preserve the threads, so need to be cautious.

Yes, that’s the hard part.

I was thinking Dremel. Hope it cuts it.

Dane - You may have missed my post. It took maybe 5 minutes to cut that out.

Anyway, after getting both of the O2 sensors installed I looked around for what the next item of business will be, and I think it is going to be positioning the power distribution box. But to do that I'll need the air cleaner box and the cold air inlet tube installed. As I said to Bill, I've been cogitating on how to insulate that stuff 'cause I want to get as cold of air as is possible to the engine. And if it is ever going to happen, now is the time.

So, I insulated the cold air inlet tube and installed it. And I have the bottom half of the air box insulated, but since the top isn't done I've not taken pictures of it.

Here's a couple of shots of the cold air inlet tube on the bench and then one of it installed.

Cold_Air_Inlet_Insulated_-_Top_Side.thumb.jpg.bec33f624788cf3538c11c6a03623568.jpgCold_Air_Inlet_Insulated_-_Openings.thumb.jpg.3ca77a70a103d577f07b3040ef3f849b.jpg

Cold_Air_Intake_Insulated__Installed.thumb.jpg.35d90cc64d9d66629c6a376ef64b5361.jpg

Dane - You may have missed my post. It took maybe 5 minutes to cut that out.

Anyway, after getting both of the O2 sensors installed I looked around for what the next item of business will be, and I think it is going to be positioning the power distribution box. But to do that I'll need the air cleaner box and the cold air inlet tube installed. As I said to Bill, I've been cogitating on how to insulate that stuff 'cause I want to get as cold of air as is possible to the engine. And if it is ever going to happen, now is the time.

So, I insulated the cold air inlet tube and installed it. And I have the bottom half of the air box insulated, but since the top isn't done I've not taken pictures of it.

Here's a couple of shots of the cold air inlet tube on the bench and then one of it installed.

I have not had any issues with heat on the air inlet system, just the engine getting hot in creep and beep traffic in August while running the AC. Yes, IAT will go up to around 200° under those conditions, but as soon as the flow rate increases it will drop back to ambient (98° that day).

I have not had any issues with heat on the air inlet system, just the engine getting hot in creep and beep traffic in August while running the AC. Yes, IAT will go up to around 200° under those conditions, but as soon as the flow rate increases it will drop back to ambient (98° that day).
If I can keep it down a bit I think it'll help. Hope to get the air box finished tomorrow. And I plan to do the hoses as well, although those curves will be tedious.

Been looking at the page below from the '96 EVTM which shows the PDB. As I mark it up the changes will show here.

Right now I have outboard relays for the backup lights and fog lights and they are attached to the air box's bracket. They need to move to provide room for the PDB, so I think I'll move them into the PDB as shown.

But I'm not sure what I'll do about the trailer relays. The '96 harness has them in a separate box, as shown, but I already have the one on the firewall that works. So I'm inclined to leave that alone and take the trailer relay box off. But I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts. :nabble_waving_orig:

If I can keep it down a bit I think it'll help. Hope to get the air box finished tomorrow. And I plan to do the hoses as well, although those curves will be tedious.

Been looking at the page below from the '96 EVTM which shows the PDB. As I mark it up the changes will show here.

Right now I have outboard relays for the backup lights and fog lights and they are attached to the air box's bracket. They need to move to provide room for the PDB, so I think I'll move them into the PDB as shown.

But I'm not sure what I'll do about the trailer relays. The '96 harness has them in a separate box, as shown, but I already have the one on the firewall that works. So I'm inclined to leave that alone and take the trailer relay box off. But I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts. :nabble_waving_orig:

Ok, in my case, (a) Darth is a DRW truck and as such has the clearance lights on the rear fenders and they are fed by the marker and trailer running lamps relay (b) trailer backup lamps, unless you actually have a trailer with them, probably not needed, but could be used for high power backup lamps so as not to overload the transmission switch. © trailer stop and turn are fused using fuses 6 & 7, this prevents loosing stop and turn on the truck, you have a set on the firewall (I had a similar setup on Darth before updating). I used the L & R truck signals to operate relays behind my PDC on it's mounting bracket, that take a battery feed and then run the trailer feed through fuses 6 & 7. Fog lights, good idea! (d) Trailer battery charge relay, on a travel trailer used to charge the house batteries, can be used to charge a trailer breakaway battery or an electric winch power battery.Hope this helps.

Ok, in my case, (a) Darth is a DRW truck and as such has the clearance lights on the rear fenders and they are fed by the marker and trailer running lamps relay (b) trailer backup lamps, unless you actually have a trailer with them, probably not needed, but could be used for high power backup lamps so as not to overload the transmission switch. © trailer stop and turn are fused using fuses 6 & 7, this prevents loosing stop and turn on the truck, you have a set on the firewall (I had a similar setup on Darth before updating). I used the L & R truck signals to operate relays behind my PDC on it's mounting bracket, that take a battery feed and then run the trailer feed through fuses 6 & 7. Fog lights, good idea! (d) Trailer battery charge relay, on a travel trailer used to charge the house batteries, can be used to charge a trailer breakaway battery or an electric winch power battery.

Hope this helps.

Bill - Thanks for the response. I had a really fancy reply almost ready to go and somehow closed the tab. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So let me reply more simply:

a) I don't have clearance lights so don't need that

b) I have the backup light relay and could easily tie the trailer backup lights to it

c) I have the Trailer Option, as shown below, which says that my trailer brake lights are protected separately from the truck's brake lights. But that makes no sense as then they wouldn't flash as turn signals. What am I missing?

d) Trailer power is supplied by Fuse Link B, but I could consider replacing the fuse link with a fuse in the PDB. But, it is working now, so...

Trailer_Option.thumb.jpg.e4688dd3bc443a7f726b634744224069.jpg

Bill - Thanks for the response. I had a really fancy reply almost ready to go and somehow closed the tab. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So let me reply more simply:

a) I don't have clearance lights so don't need that

b) I have the backup light relay and could easily tie the trailer backup lights to it

c) I have the Trailer Option, as shown below, which says that my trailer brake lights are protected separately from the truck's brake lights. But that makes no sense as then they wouldn't flash as turn signals. What am I missing?

d) Trailer power is supplied by Fuse Link B, but I could consider replacing the fuse link with a fuse in the PDB. But, it is working now, so...

That is the trailer power option, go back to your exterior lights, the trailer stop and turn should be in there. Trailer/camper adapter pt 2 of 3 is the turn signal portion, the # 6 & 7 fuses are tapped of the rear stop/turn circuits inside the PDC.

That is the trailer power option, go back to your exterior lights, the trailer stop and turn should be in there. Trailer/camper adapter pt 2 of 3 is the turn signal portion, the # 6 & 7 fuses are tapped of the rear stop/turn circuits inside the PDC.

Bill - Two things.

First, on the '96 wiring I think I see what you are saying. The trailer stop light circuits come off the multi-function switch and then go through fuses 6 & 7 and then to the trailer. So If I want I could intercept the '85 LG/O and O/LB wires near the firewall and connect them to the same color wires going to the PDB and then run the output back to the trailer connector. No need for more relays.

Second, on the 1985 wiring there seems to me to be a mistake in the EVTM. Or at least something very confusing to me. The diagram above clearly says "To Trailer Brake Lamps" for the R/LG H wire. There is no reference to another page in the EVTM, so it isn't going to another circuit. But clearly that wire cannot power both brake lights and still have turn signals. Obviously those lights are driven by the LG/O and O/LB, as shown below.

So, what is that R/LG wire going to?

1985-etm-page79.thumb.jpg.b4148e79cbaddafb4d8f1f56bdcd7b27.jpg

Bill - Two things.

First, on the '96 wiring I think I see what you are saying. The trailer stop light circuits come off the multi-function switch and then go through fuses 6 & 7 and then to the trailer. So If I want I could intercept the '85 LG/O and O/LB wires near the firewall and connect them to the same color wires going to the PDB and then run the output back to the trailer connector. No need for more relays.

Second, on the 1985 wiring there seems to me to be a mistake in the EVTM. Or at least something very confusing to me. The diagram above clearly says "To Trailer Brake Lamps" for the R/LG H wire. There is no reference to another page in the EVTM, so it isn't going to another circuit. But clearly that wire cannot power both brake lights and still have turn signals. Obviously those lights are driven by the LG/O and O/LB, as shown below.

So, what is that R/LG wire going to?

It goes to the LG (circuit 511) from the brake light switch. It, on Darth, turns on the brake lights if I manually apply the trailer brakes with the controller. On the K-H it is the red wire on the brake controller, Blue is trailer brakes, Black is 12V 50 amp in, White is ground. I believe the same colors are used on my K-H Genesis on the Flex.

IMGP1003.thumb.jpg.e7f9a523cf3cee2ed3410b98887604f5.jpg

It goes to the LG (circuit 511) from the brake light switch. It, on Darth, turns on the brake lights if I manually apply the trailer brakes with the controller. On the K-H it is the red wire on the brake controller, Blue is trailer brakes, Black is 12V 50 amp in, White is ground. I believe the same colors are used on my K-H Genesis on the Flex.

That makes sense, Bill. Hadn't thought that bringing the trailer brakes on with the controller wouldn't turn the brake lights on. Wonder why the EVTM doesn't show it coming back in on the LG wire?

As for what I did today, I finished insulating the air box. Didn't get it installed, and I still have to cut out a spot for the IAT sensor, but here 'tis:

Insulated_Air_Box_-_Both_Halves.thumb.jpg.90f2a0496b74937370b2c6b7a0b28039.jpgInsulated_Air_Box_-_Side_View.thumb.jpg.0b44825797390ee7f53085f0e5f1d55a.jpg

That makes sense, Bill. Hadn't thought that bringing the trailer brakes on with the controller wouldn't turn the brake lights on. Wonder why the EVTM doesn't show it coming back in on the LG wire?

As for what I did today, I finished insulating the air box. Didn't get it installed, and I still have to cut out a spot for the IAT sensor, but here 'tis:

That's COOL, Gary! :nabble_smiley_wink: