Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Been there, done that. Those aren't pleasant injuries to heal from. Hope you're back to fighting trim soon.

Thanks, guys. Don't know how long it'll take to heal, but the big bandage stays on another 36 hours. It curtails "work" and makes typing S.L.O.W. Then I can probably go to one Bandaid over the end and one around the finger to hold it on, and I might be able to do things.

But that puts it to Thanksgiving, and I certainly am and will be, and then Janey's cousin's reunion at our house. So "work" is a week away.

Thanks, guys. Don't know how long it'll take to heal, but the big bandage stays on another 36 hours. It curtails "work" and makes typing S.L.O.W. Then I can probably go to one Bandaid over the end and one around the finger to hold it on, and I might be able to do things.

But that puts it to Thanksgiving, and I certainly am and will be, and then Janey's cousin's reunion at our house. So "work" is a week away.

My wife would say, it’s a sign you need to slow down, and injoy what’s been accomplished. But I think you’re like me and find it hard to let it set for a few days. Plus it’s Thanksgiving week.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that but glad it wasn't worse. Sounds like you'll be busy enough with the holiday and other activities though to keep from feeling like you need to be out in the garage :nabble_smiley_beam:

Gary, I always thought it was "shoulder to the wheel and nose to the grindstone and your eye on the ball". That hurts to think about it. I have come close to doing that a few times, a lot closer using the wire wheel on bolts.

Just don't carve the wrong thing on Thursday :nabble_smiley_grin:.

Gary, I always thought it was "shoulder to the wheel and nose to the grindstone and your eye on the ball". That hurts to think about it. I have come close to doing that a few times, a lot closer using the wire wheel on bolts.

Just don't carve the wrong thing on Thursday :nabble_smiley_grin:.

Thanks, guys. I'm finding I can do computer things, albeit slowly. Maybe get some scanning work done? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, guys. I'm finding I can do computer things, albeit slowly. Maybe get some scanning work done? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I did get some scanning work done - about 600 pages thereof.

But today I got back to metalworking, although with a glove on at all times. With the Bandaid over the end of the finger and leather gloves on the finger was fairly well protected.

And I got the LF step bar bracket done and trial fitted. The left side is much more solid than the right side. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No pics yet as there's a bit more to do on the left, and then both right-side brackets to do. Then blast and powder coat all of them. Progress!!!!

Well, I did get some scanning work done - about 600 pages thereof.

But today I got back to metalworking, although with a glove on at all times. With the Bandaid over the end of the finger and leather gloves on the finger was fairly well protected.

And I got the LF step bar bracket done and trial fitted. The left side is much more solid than the right side. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No pics yet as there's a bit more to do on the left, and then both right-side brackets to do. Then blast and powder coat all of them. Progress!!!!

Ok, time for some before and after pics. Below are the step bracket pairs, with the rear brackets on the left and the front brackets on the right. And you can see how the original brackets are made of one piece of metal that has been folded and welded. I've added a second side plate and a piece of angle.

The original brackets just bolted to the 3" square tubing, which is attached to the frame, by one bolt through the hole in the top. But that allowed the top plate to bend when the step bar was pulled outward by Mike's winch. The additional side plate gives it more strength. But the piece of angle that goes between the two sides has a hole in it and it also now bolts into the bottom of the 3" square tubing, preventing the bracket from pivoting on the top bolt.

Saying it another way, previously the top plate could bend with outward or upward force on the step bar. The addition of the second side plate added strength to the top plate by boxing it in. But adding the piece of angle means that to move the bracket outward or upward now you'll have to shear a 1/2" G8 bolt - in addition to bending the top plate. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Left_Side_Step_Brackets_Done.thumb.jpg.c38cd295bd2f68b72f0f306df1fe64b8.jpg

And these shots show how the bracket bolts through the top, on the left, and the bottom through the new angle.

LF_Step_Bar_Mount_-_Top.thumb.jpg.011ba6465906fb3203b47266662cf865.jpgLF_Step_Bar_Mount_-_Bottom.thumb.jpg.a33092b1ff7098e8cd251990103cba85.jpg

Ok, time for some before and after pics. Below are the step bracket pairs, with the rear brackets on the left and the front brackets on the right. And you can see how the original brackets are made of one piece of metal that has been folded and welded. I've added a second side plate and a piece of angle.

The original brackets just bolted to the 3" square tubing, which is attached to the frame, by one bolt through the hole in the top. But that allowed the top plate to bend when the step bar was pulled outward by Mike's winch. The additional side plate gives it more strength. But the piece of angle that goes between the two sides has a hole in it and it also now bolts into the bottom of the 3" square tubing, preventing the bracket from pivoting on the top bolt.

Saying it another way, previously the top plate could bend with outward or upward force on the step bar. The addition of the second side plate added strength to the top plate by boxing it in. But adding the piece of angle means that to move the bracket outward or upward now you'll have to shear a 1/2" G8 bolt - in addition to bending the top plate. :nabble_smiley_evil:

And these shots show how the bracket bolts through the top, on the left, and the bottom through the new angle.

Nice!

Hmm… ready for a nuclear blast I think!

Nice!

Hmm… ready for a nuclear blast I think!

Yes, I am confident that the brackets won't bend. The weak link is now the aluminum tube of the step bars themselves. And while the tube was strong enough to pull the truck sideways, almost enough to pop the bead on the LR tire, it wouldn't be strong enough to be used as a rock slider.

So some day, if I decide I need them, I might make more substantial steps that would serve as sliders. They would probably be out of square tubing so wouldn't look as good as the round steps with smooth bends, but they'd be a lot more substantial. Given that I wanted the brackets to be SOLID. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, I am confident that the brackets won't bend. The weak link is now the aluminum tube of the step bars themselves. And while the tube was strong enough to pull the truck sideways, almost enough to pop the bead on the LR tire, it wouldn't be strong enough to be used as a rock slider.

So some day, if I decide I need them, I might make more substantial steps that would serve as sliders. They would probably be out of square tubing so wouldn't look as good as the round steps with smooth bends, but they'd be a lot more substantial. Given that I wanted the brackets to be SOLID. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Got the rest of the brackets and mounts beefed up today. Plan to media blast them tomorrow and then powder coat them. But since some have POR-15 on them, and that stuff doesn't come off easily, blasting may take all day. :nabble_smiley_scared: