Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Cool! I really like the 351 and E4OD in my Bronco. (And I wasn’t an E4OD fan before!)

It has 3.55’s with a limited slip rear. Great snow vehicle.

Of the three vehicles I drive, Xterra, F250 and the Bronco, the Bronco is the one I would keep, if I had to sell them.

But, you already know this stuff!

That's good to know, Dane. I'll pass it on. Thanks.

But, there's only one bid on it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Hmmm? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Two bids, now!

Yep, and the 2nd one ain't me. I'm going to wait until Sunday afternoon and then put in a high limit and duke it out with whomever else wants it. The auction ends at 6:20 pm, IIRC, and we have an activity at church starting at 6:00, so I'll do that just before we go and see what happens. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep, and the 2nd one ain't me. I'm going to wait until Sunday afternoon and then put in a high limit and duke it out with whomever else wants it. The auction ends at 6:20 pm, IIRC, and we have an activity at church starting at 6:00, so I'll do that just before we go and see what happens. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I was going to put this in the WHYDTYTT thread as it was initially just how we used Big Blue today. And then when we got home and I started to close the rear window. As I grabbed the hinge to pull the driver's side slider to the middle the metal strip came off in my hand. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So now the question is what's the best way to re-attach that strip to the glass? Can I use JB Weld? Seam sealer? What?

And now for what we did. Janey asked if there wasn't some where we needed to go today just to get out of the house. So we talked about several locations and she said "Why not take Big Blue?" :nabble_smiley_good:

So, we did. We went to Bartlesville. Took the back roads up and drove 55 MPH. Found a couple of quilting shops, a place to get lunch, and then drove 55 MPH home - except for the gravel roads we found where we dropped down to 35 - 40 MPH.

And that's where we found the next problem - the funky smell in the HVAC system when we rolled up the windows and turned the A/C on. We had it briefly during the summer but it went away when I got the A/C fixed and started using it frequently. But now that the truck has sat for roughly a month since the CO trip it is back. But, unlike Kotter it isn't welcome!

So, what do y'all think it might be? I'm thinking it is residual condensate that isn't draining out for some reason. Thoughts?

And last, David will be interested in this. Haven't checked the MPG yet, but we put in over 100 miles and still haven't quite gotten down to Empty. That is certainly a new record. 55 MPH. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I was going to put this in the WHYDTYTT thread as it was initially just how we used Big Blue today. And then when we got home and I started to close the rear window. As I grabbed the hinge to pull the driver's side slider to the middle the metal strip came off in my hand. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So now the question is what's the best way to re-attach that strip to the glass? Can I use JB Weld? Seam sealer? What?

And now for what we did. Janey asked if there wasn't some where we needed to go today just to get out of the house. So we talked about several locations and she said "Why not take Big Blue?" :nabble_smiley_good:

So, we did. We went to Bartlesville. Took the back roads up and drove 55 MPH. Found a couple of quilting shops, a place to get lunch, and then drove 55 MPH home - except for the gravel roads we found where we dropped down to 35 - 40 MPH.

And that's where we found the next problem - the funky smell in the HVAC system when we rolled up the windows and turned the A/C on. We had it briefly during the summer but it went away when I got the A/C fixed and started using it frequently. But now that the truck has sat for roughly a month since the CO trip it is back. But, unlike Kotter it isn't welcome!

So, what do y'all think it might be? I'm thinking it is residual condensate that isn't draining out for some reason. Thoughts?

And last, David will be interested in this. Haven't checked the MPG yet, but we put in over 100 miles and still haven't quite gotten down to Empty. That is certainly a new record. 55 MPH. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Does it smell even if you just turn the fan on?

Or only with the a/c on?

Do you have a decent puddle under the truck after running the a/c and parking?

Can you poke something up the drain and ensure it's clear?

Could it have to do with the insulation you wrapped the HVAC with?

My first thought on the glass would be fresh butyl tape like on the vent windows since you don't want anything permanent there - or maybe you do? :nabble_smiley_beam: Maybe that combined with lubricating the track so it doesn't require much force.

Filled up both tanks tonight - $91.00 and Drivvo (android app) showed it at 8.55 mpg :nabble_anim_crazy:

Does it smell even if you just turn the fan on?

Or only with the a/c on?

Do you have a decent puddle under the truck after running the a/c and parking?

Can you poke something up the drain and ensure it's clear?

Could it have to do with the insulation you wrapped the HVAC with?

My first thought on the glass would be fresh butyl tape like on the vent windows since you don't want anything permanent there - or maybe you do? :nabble_smiley_beam: Maybe that combined with lubricating the track so it doesn't require much force.

Filled up both tanks tonight - $91.00 and Drivvo (android app) showed it at 8.55 mpg :nabble_anim_crazy:

Yep, the smell is there if you turn the fan on in any mode.

I'll check tomorrow on the condensate coming out, but before the Colorado trip it certainly was. And at the time I first smelled it I poked a wire in to test if there was any blockage. There didn't seem to be. But something is wrong.

As for the insulation, perhaps I got something near the drain? Or are you thinking it has soaked up moisture? I thought the insulation is closed-cell foam, but I'll check.

On the window, I'll look to see how much room there is for something like tape. But I don't think there is much room as it was a fairly tight fit. However, I'm not sure I'm worried about it being permanent. And lubing the track with something like silicone spray is a good idea.

8.55, huh? I'm thinking I was pushing 12 today. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yep, the smell is there if you turn the fan on in any mode.

I'll check tomorrow on the condensate coming out, but before the Colorado trip it certainly was. And at the time I first smelled it I poked a wire in to test if there was any blockage. There didn't seem to be. But something is wrong.

As for the insulation, perhaps I got something near the drain? Or are you thinking it has soaked up moisture? I thought the insulation is closed-cell foam, but I'll check.

On the window, I'll look to see how much room there is for something like tape. But I don't think there is much room as it was a fairly tight fit. However, I'm not sure I'm worried about it being permanent. And lubing the track with something like silicone spray is a good idea.

8.55, huh? I'm thinking I was pushing 12 today. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I wish I was getting close to that!

The insulation is likely a dead end since it's on the outside but it was just a difference I could think of.

A coolant leak would have likely shown on the floor by now and that smell would be more recognizable.

Might be worth getting a cheap borescope to look around.

I wish I was getting close to that!

The insulation is likely a dead end since it's on the outside but it was just a difference I could think of.

A coolant leak would have likely shown on the floor by now and that smell would be more recognizable.

Might be worth getting a cheap borescope to look around.

I like the borescope idea. Do you have a recommendation?