Bullnose Forums

Howdy to the group!

Jaydog

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks everyone! By now, I'm getting really good at the "Ford two-step." Two steps forward, one back. Drove the truck to the gas station around the block, noticed a bit of a burning smell when I got home. It's about a 5 minute drive. Couple of hours later I drove it 10 minutes away to a self-serve car wash. Got it as clean and shiny as it was going to get, and by the time I got home, the passenger front disc brake was smoking. Halfway home I could smell the burning brake smell. I cooled it down with a fan but didn't have time to take it off. There's plenty of fluid and the other brakes work just fine. I believe it's probably a frozen caliper or maybe the rotor is warped. I'll be taking the wheel off sometime this week. I'm glad the truck is up and running, now I just want it to be driveable!:nabble_smiley_cool:

Thanks everyone! By now, I'm getting really good at the "Ford two-step." Two steps forward, one back. Drove the truck to the gas station around the block, noticed a bit of a burning smell when I got home. It's about a 5 minute drive. Couple of hours later I drove it 10 minutes away to a self-serve car wash. Got it as clean and shiny as it was going to get, and by the time I got home, the passenger front disc brake was smoking. Halfway home I could smell the burning brake smell. I cooled it down with a fan but didn't have time to take it off. There's plenty of fluid and the other brakes work just fine. I believe it's probably a frozen caliper or maybe the rotor is warped. I'll be taking the wheel off sometime this week. I'm glad the truck is up and running, now I just want it to be driveable!:nabble_smiley_cool:

Yep, the two-step. But, 2-1=1 so you are making progress. And, as Jim says, progress is good. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'd bet the caliper is stuck or the piston didn't retract properly, and probably the latter. The disk brake calipers use an intriguing mechanism. The o-ring that seals the piston is also the spring that brings it back away from the disk. And it does that because it is square cut, so when the piston is pushed out of the caliper the o-ring actually rolls or twists and then un-twists and brings the piston back when the pedal is released.

But if the o-ring is hard it won't do that. Or if there's rust around the piston the spring action of the o-ring might not be enough to retract the piston, resulting in that brake dragging.

However, if rust is the problem then I'd think the other side is going to be suspect. As will the rear cylinders. That three year sleep may have been the death of the brake system. So, you may need to do a full brake job.