Bullnose Forums

Howdy to the group!

Jaydog

I'd bet the needle is stuck to the seat in the carb, which prevents gas from coming in. Sometimes you can fix that with a rap on the carb with a plastic-tipped hammer or even a screwdriver handle. Tap down on the carb and then see if gas flows. May take a few tries, but it does work sometimes.

And yes, it can be from a few years of sitting. The gas turns to varnish and causes things to stick.

I'll hit it again...I mean...tap it again a few times. I did that already and then sprayed a half a can of carb cleaner in every port and orifice I could find. I'm hoping just swapping out the carb will fix this. I don't think I'm ready to convert this to the older style ignition thingy. Hell, I'm still using pliers to get it to crank!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll hit it again...I mean...tap it again a few times. I did that already and then sprayed a half a can of carb cleaner in every port and orifice I could find. I'm hoping just swapping out the carb will fix this. I don't think I'm ready to convert this to the older style ignition thingy. Hell, I'm still using pliers to get it to crank!

If you are so inclined, you could pull it down yourself using the instructions here: Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Carter YFA 1bbl.

I'd bet the needle is stuck to the seat in the carb, which prevents gas from coming in. Sometimes you can fix that with a rap on the carb with a plastic-tipped hammer or even a screwdriver handle. Tap down on the carb and then see if gas flows. May take a few tries, but it does work sometimes.

And yes, it can be from a few years of sitting. The gas turns to varnish and causes things to stick.

So, what are the odds that this is just a completely gummed up carb? I'm willing to swap it out for a new one, even keeping the feedback crap on it. I just want it to run. Three years worth of sitting wouldn't have screwed up the computer would it? It does run when you pour gas down the carb or are shooting starter fluid directly into it. I'm hoping it just needs a new carb. My plan is to have my local shop replace the rear gas tank and carb at the same time.

So, what are the odds that this is just a completely gummed up carb? I'm willing to swap it out for a new one, even keeping the feedback crap on it. I just want it to run. Three years worth of sitting wouldn't have screwed up the computer would it? It does run when you pour gas down the carb or are shooting starter fluid directly into it. I'm hoping it just needs a new carb. My plan is to have my local shop replace the rear gas tank and carb at the same time.

It is very possible that it is a gummed up carb. I recently pulled a carb apart that has been sitting for 12 years or so and there was varnish in the bottom of the bowls. If yours has that it could have glued the float down to the bottom of the bowl and, therefore, no gas can get in.

Can the shop pull the carb apart? It isn't terribly difficult to do.

It is very possible that it is a gummed up carb. I recently pulled a carb apart that has been sitting for 12 years or so and there was varnish in the bottom of the bowls. If yours has that it could have glued the float down to the bottom of the bowl and, therefore, no gas can get in.

Can the shop pull the carb apart? It isn't terribly difficult to do.

My goal over this weekend or next is to pull the carb. I'm going to see if my shop will rebuild it for me. Much cheaper than a new one, since it has the stupid computer stuff.

My goal over this weekend or next is to pull the carb. I'm going to see if my shop will rebuild it for me. Much cheaper than a new one, since it has the stupid computer stuff.

Good luck. Some of the older guys/shops should know that carb well.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck. Some of the older guys/shops should know that carb well.

Well, finally some progress to report! Got the carb off, pretty easy actually. :-X0A6 I had a mechanic buddy over for adult supervision. I took pics of it every step of the way. I ordered a reman carb for $150 so I can get that sucker on. I checked with a couple of shops and with hourly rates of $80-$95, it would cost more to rebuild my current carb than get a reman one. My mechanic buddy agreed that the culprit for it not running is probably the carb. We did the "spray starter fluid in it" and it ran as long as there was spray but died after that. In the meantime, I'm going to get a new set of plugs and wires and teach my son how to change both. Every challenge is a teaching opportunity!

Well, finally some progress to report! Got the carb off, pretty easy actually. :-X0A6 I had a mechanic buddy over for adult supervision. I took pics of it every step of the way. I ordered a reman carb for $150 so I can get that sucker on. I checked with a couple of shops and with hourly rates of $80-$95, it would cost more to rebuild my current carb than get a reman one. My mechanic buddy agreed that the culprit for it not running is probably the carb. We did the "spray starter fluid in it" and it ran as long as there was spray but died after that. In the meantime, I'm going to get a new set of plugs and wires and teach my son how to change both. Every challenge is a teaching opportunity!

That's the right attitude! Opportunity to learn. And I like to learn. :nabble_smiley_good:

Anyway, you'll have it running soon. Hope the carb fixes everything.

That's the right attitude! Opportunity to learn. And I like to learn. :nabble_smiley_good:

Anyway, you'll have it running soon. Hope the carb fixes everything.

It's alive!

Alive.gif.1b22a9ebd3e1c25c036c81cc8371179a.gif

My brother-in-law and I got the new carb on it yesterday, and after a squirt of starter fluid, it started right up! I turned it off and then started it again about three more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Each time it started up quickly and the engine purrs! I have no idea how old the spark plugs are but I wanted to make sure it was running before I changed them.

Woo hoo!

It's alive!

My brother-in-law and I got the new carb on it yesterday, and after a squirt of starter fluid, it started right up! I turned it off and then started it again about three more times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Each time it started up quickly and the engine purrs! I have no idea how old the spark plugs are but I wanted to make sure it was running before I changed them.

Woo hoo!

Congrat's!!!! That is such a good feeling!

But, watch out for Frau Blücher. Tie down all those horses or they'll run away.