Bullnose Forums

'83 F150 300ci to 351W swap - what ignition?

And apparently red is DuraSpark I.

Sorry for the bad information. :nabble_smiley_blush:

LOL! You are a source of such needed information! I'm glad to know the etymology of the word maroon. Seriously, I like knowing random stuff. :nabble_smiley_good:

So red is DS-I. Interesting. As said, I've never seen one of those. But, if I remember correctly, they were primarily used in CA, so that would explain why in the middle of the US I've not seen one.

I am late to the party, as usual, but the pic indeed reflects a "high altitude" variant. The module is supposed to adjust timing based on resistance ranges as the barometric pressure changes.

When I was researching my own set up, I found an emissions guide from Ford, and it reflected the red grommets were used on California trucks for emissions compliance after most other applications went to other variants due to the red's HEI design. Anecdotally, They were initially prone to failure, but by the end of our generation issues had been resolved and the price of replacement modules reflected it.

As an experiment, I swapped my DSII to a blue grommet from my old malfunctioning yellow for 500 miles until I found a new yellow (with the barometer module unplugged) and had no issues with start, idle or spark plug fouling, but keep in mind it was all at sea-level in optimal conditions.