Bullnose Forums

Don't Use Grease On Body Bushings!

...the bottoms of the bushings were slipping to the side due to the grease and the top was going the other way.
I still wouldn't blame the grease - it can only ALLOW movement; it can't CAUSE it. I'd take a closer look at the frame & sheet metal. I bet at least one of them is twisted, causing the uneven forces that are moving the bushings. Even without grease, over time, they'll eventually migrate to where they want to settle. The grease just let that happen faster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the bottoms of the bushings were slipping to the side due to the grease and the top was going the other way.
I still wouldn't blame the grease - it can only ALLOW movement; it can't CAUSE it. I'd take a closer look at the frame & sheet metal. I bet at least one of them is twisted, causing the uneven forces that are moving the bushings. Even without grease, over time, they'll eventually migrate to where they want to settle. The grease just let that happen faster.

Yesterday I was about to bolt the cab back on Dad's truck so went to the factory shop manual's Body section to get the torque spec's for the bushing retainers. And on the same page I found this:

Body_Mount_Warning.thumb.jpg.8bcf2e40edc28290f34fdf53bf9880d7.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I was about to bolt the cab back on Dad's truck so went to the factory shop manual's Body section to get the torque spec's for the bushing retainers. And on the same page I found this:

I know I am taking a tangent on Gary's thread but since it dealt with poly bushings...

I replaced all 6 of mine after gutting the cab but before taking it to the body shop. The bed is now 1/4 lower than the cab. The body shop hasn't torqued the cab bolts down yet but as has been mentioned - they don't seem like they will compress much if at all. Is it normal to have to shim the bed up after new poly bushings?

I know I am taking a tangent on Gary's thread but since it dealt with poly bushings...

I replaced all 6 of mine after gutting the cab but before taking it to the body shop. The bed is now 1/4 lower than the cab. The body shop hasn't torqued the cab bolts down yet but as has been mentioned - they don't seem like they will compress much if at all. Is it normal to have to shim the bed up after new poly bushings?

I think they'll compress 1/4" inch - w/o grease. I didn't measure mine, but I think they came down about that much.