Bullnose Forums

Don't Use Grease On Body Bushings!

Just an FYI, apparently you aren't supposed to use the gooey grease they send with the polyurethane suspension bushings on polyurethane body bushings. I did. What a mess! :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, what happens if you do use the grease? You can tighten the body mounts down seemingly forever. And the bushings either slip over to the side and try to get out from under the cab or ooze around the mount on all sides.

And, what do you do to correct this? Use lots of isopropyl alcohol. LOTS. And then Dawn detergent. Then more isopropyl alcohol. And then a hot shower to try to get it off of you.

I'm not sure that I got it all, but I got most of it and will have to use something stronger to get the last of it.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubber or poly bushings? Something sounds off. Poly bushings are rather hard and shouldnt compress much. I always use the clearish/whitish grease that usually comes with poly bushings to prevent squeaks. I didnt use the grease on my chevelle and they squeaked so bad. Was very annoying.

Reminds me of the time I put Murray's Superior Pomade in my hair. I was going to a '50's themed party so I slicked my hair back with that stuff. When I got home I found out that shampoo wouldn't touch it. Then I found out that Dawn wouldn't get it out either. Finally, after spending a few minutes on google, it took two applications of vegetable oil to break down the pomade, and then Dawn to get the oil out.

Reminds me of the time I put Murray's Superior Pomade in my hair. I was going to a '50's themed party so I slicked my hair back with that stuff. When I got home I found out that shampoo wouldn't touch it. Then I found out that Dawn wouldn't get it out either. Finally, after spending a few minutes on google, it took two applications of vegetable oil to break down the pomade, and then Dawn to get the oil out.

Ray - They are polyurethane. And they didn't really compress. They just moved out of the way for the most part.

I checked with Energy Suspensions and their page for body bushings gives these steps:

1. Remove bolts of mounts from inside of cab. Remove bolts from one side at a time, leave other side loose.

2. The body mounts are pressed together by a flair fit from the factory. A simple “puller” assembly can be made with a tube and some washers. (See pic). Placing the OEM bolt thru the “puller” assembly and tightening it will free the body mounts from the frame.

3. Remove OEM bushings.

4. Reinstall with new bushings supplied.

5. Tighten all bolts to factory specifications.

No mention of using the yukky clear grease on the body bushings, although they do say to use it on the suspension bushing, and I did.

Chad - Are you saying I should try vegetable oil? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Chad - Are you saying I should try vegetable oil? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hmmmm, that might work. But I'm tempted to run the bushing through the dishwasher. Yes, I have a dishwasher in the shop. Surely the temp wouldn't hurt the bushings if I didn't put it on the HD Pan cycle?

Hmmmm, that might work. But I'm tempted to run the bushing through the dishwasher. Yes, I have a dishwasher in the shop. Surely the temp wouldn't hurt the bushings if I didn't put it on the HD Pan cycle?

I would scrub it with gasoline before I went to all that trouble. Surely it wouldn't hurt poly.