Bullnose Forums

Explorer Disscussion.

The 460 was reintroduced in 1983 in the F250's and heavier.

Interesting.

And the 351M and 400 were just 1980-1981, right?

Does that mean that the 300/6 and small blocks were the only options for 1982?

Sorry for the Hijack.

I'm following along with interest. I quite like the Explorers as well.

The 460 was reintroduced in 1983 in the F250's and heavier.

Interesting.

And the 351M and 400 were just 1980-1981, right?

Does that mean that the 300/6 and small blocks were the only options for 1982?

Sorry for the Hijack.

I'm following along with interest. I quite like the Explorers as well.

The 400 was still available for 82, but the 351M was ditched in favor of the 351W.

Yes, and the 351W was introduced to replace the 351M.

"Introduced" to the F-series, but the 351W had been around longer than the M. As I remember the story the M was created in about the '77 model year as a replacement for the 360 FE. The reason they didn't use the 351W at that time was that the Windsor production line was too close to capacity with cars and E-series vans, but the Cleveland line was well below capacity. So they made something more like a truck engine than the 351C that could be built on the Cleveland line. But by '82 Ford wasn't putting the Ws in many cars anymore so they had capacity to use that line for the F-series.

Interesting thread! My '85 Flareside ("Silver") came with explorer package C, and it matches of course with the list in the brochure. If I'm correct, Flaresides didnt come in XLT trim? Package C made it a nicely optioned truck though.

Does anyone know what if any EXPLORER badging would have come on the flareside? It had a bright blue stripe package but dont see any explorer emblems or decals - decals may be long gone given the surface rust
I don't have the 1985 Explorer Program brochure scanned in, and it is too big for my scanner. But, in looking through it I find no pictures whatsoever of a Flareside Explorer. No mention of a Flareside at all in the text, at least that I can find. Having said that, the Flareside is mentioned in the price sheet I've embedded below.

But, in the brochure it says:

• An Explorer name badge is included on Packages "A", "B", and "C".

• The Explorer tape stripe has been eliminated and replaced in 1985 by an Explorer Tu-Tone paint treatment.

I seem to have a bust in the 1985 Literature section as the link to the 1985 Explorer Program brochure actually takes you to a Bronco brochure. I'll see what I can figure out later.

Gary this is really helpful, a big thank you!

If you have a chance, would you mind taking a snapshot of the "color compatability reference chart" on page 5?

Gary this is really helpful, a big thank you!

If you have a chance, would you mind taking a snapshot of the "color compatability reference chart" on page 5?

Interesting stuff. So the explorer package was indeed available on the flaresides but there is a little footnote that says the exterior badge isn't available on the flareside.

They went to a two tone explorer paint scheme but my truck is only one color - bright silver metallic with the blue interior. It does look like deletion of the two tone was an option as well so that makes sense

Gary this is really helpful, a big thank you!If you have a chance, would you mind taking a snapshot of the "color compatability reference chart" on page 5?
Is this what you are looking for? I don't have time right now to scan the whole book, or even just the Color And Trim, tab in but here's Page 5:

Interesting stuff. So the explorer package was indeed available on the flaresides but there is a little footnote that says the exterior badge isn't available on the flareside.

They went to a two tone explorer paint scheme but my truck is only one color - bright silver metallic with the blue interior. It does look like deletion of the two tone was an option as well so that makes sense

The reason the exterior badge isn't available on the Flaresides is because it went on the side of the bed. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As the signature says, Big Blue is an XLT Lariat Explorer. And as the page below says, I think it is a Package B, but with a few things added, like the trailer package, aux battery, and a 460.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n26628/F-Series_Explorer.jpg

I didn't realize the brushed aluminum grill was available pre 1987. I thought that was a bricknose and OBS tailgate.