Bullnose Forums

Explorer Disscussion.

Interesting stuff. So the explorer package was indeed available on the flaresides but there is a little footnote that says the exterior badge isn't available on the flareside.

They went to a two tone explorer paint scheme but my truck is only one color - bright silver metallic with the blue interior. It does look like deletion of the two tone was an option as well so that makes sense

If I read that right it looks like package A and B were only style side but C was available in all models as a stand alone package.

I didn't realize the brushed aluminum grill was available pre 1987. I thought that was a bricknose and OBS tailgate.

I think that pic is of a little Ranger. Right? Don't think there was a brushed grille for the full-sized trucks in the Bullnose era.

My bad that was a typo... Brain fart? I meant tailgate.

I didn't realize the brushed aluminum grill was available pre 1987. I thought that was a bricknose and OBS tailgate.

I think that pic is of a little Ranger. Right? Don't think there was a brushed grille for the full-sized trucks in the Bullnose era.

My bad that was a typo... Brain fart? I meant tailgate.

Package B shows brushed aluminum tailgate applique with the red reflective stripe. I assume this means this panel would just fit over the standard tailgate?

Package B shows brushed aluminum tailgate applique with the red reflective stripe. I assume this means this panel would just fit over the standard tailgate?

That's the top-of-the-line tailgate, not something special for the Explorer. Like this from the back of the '85 brochure:

1985-f-series-early-page24-copy_orig.png.ede5a8c4d575d7b68a7434bce84758b4.png

Interesting stuff. So the explorer package was indeed available on the flaresides but there is a little footnote that says the exterior badge isn't available on the flareside.

They went to a two tone explorer paint scheme but my truck is only one color - bright silver metallic with the blue interior. It does look like deletion of the two tone was an option as well so that makes sense

If I read that right it looks like package A and B were only style side but C was available in all models as a stand alone package.

Sure enough! I missed that, looks like if you were buying a flareside and wanted the explorer package it was at least a "c".

Thanks for posting the color cross reference Gary! My truck was definitely one color, code 1E silver and not two tone, so the buyer must have selected the two tone delete.

What's interesting, and this is from page 5 - the tape stripe on my truck doesn't match the ones shown. It shows a regatta blue stripe in the brochure; my truck came with a regatta blue and light blue stripe, as shown by the sticker and marti report and still on the truck. So it's a non two tone, with a type 7 pattern multi color tape stripe. Hmmm

Heres another question: is the chrome trim on the interior door cards an XLT option? So an XL truck wouldnt have it... but if it's an XL explorer it got "XLT trim"?

That's the top-of-the-line tailgate, not something special for the Explorer. Like this from the back of the '85 brochure:

That’s what I have on mine. Try to find that panel! And for me affordable, not yet.

Mine has a crack in the reflector, not too bad though. Had it stored in my garage when I had the Gem Top canopy on it.

Sometimes I think I want to find a tailgate at the JY and store mine for protection. For what good reason I don’t know!

If I end up getting a quad to push snow, that’s my thought, beat up a beat up tailgate!

Sure enough! I missed that, looks like if you were buying a flareside and wanted the explorer package it was at least a "c".

Thanks for posting the color cross reference Gary! My truck was definitely one color, code 1E silver and not two tone, so the buyer must have selected the two tone delete.

What's interesting, and this is from page 5 - the tape stripe on my truck doesn't match the ones shown. It shows a regatta blue stripe in the brochure; my truck came with a regatta blue and light blue stripe, as shown by the sticker and marti report and still on the truck. So it's a non two tone, with a type 7 pattern multi color tape stripe. Hmmm

Heres another question: is the chrome trim on the interior door cards an XLT option? So an XL truck wouldnt have it... but if it's an XL explorer it got "XLT trim"?

You are really digging into this! Interesting stuff.

But Page 19 of the early 1985 brochure (Documentation/Literature/1985 Literature/Early 1985 Brochure) says that both the XL and the XLT got the Bright Surround Moulding on the Door Trim Panel.

You are really digging into this! Interesting stuff.

But Page 19 of the early 1985 brochure (Documentation/Literature/1985 Literature/Early 1985 Brochure) says that both the XL and the XLT got the Bright Surround Moulding on the Door Trim Panel.

Appreciate you taking the time to share and scan the info like this.

An interesting statistic (copyright Marti Auto works, more available from them): in my trucks report it noted: out of about 93,000 4x4 F150s, 5,047 were equipped with Explorer Package C

Appreciate you taking the time to share and scan the info like this.

An interesting statistic (copyright Marti Auto works, more available from them): in my trucks report it noted: out of about 93,000 4x4 F150s, 5,047 were equipped with Explorer Package C

Interesting. I wonder how many F250HD's came with the C package? Maybe I should get a Marti report on BB? But, I'm changing so much...