Bullnose Forum

V10 engine [engine swap???]

Yipes! The $5250 prices ain't bad, but then you have to have the EEC-Z (I have no idea what drives it) computer system. And what tranny will bolt to it? Then you have to have a computer to run the tranny. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Would it even fit in the bay?

Would it even fit in the bay?

Dunno. But this thread on FTE says that the V10 measures "roughly 30 inches from the edge of one valve cover to the other, and roughly 34 inches from the back of the motor at the bell housing to the front of the fan."

And this thread on here gives this chart shown below. So we have the V10 at 30" x 34" and the 460 at 31 1/4" x 31 3/4". But, the V10 is to the front of the fan and the 460 is to the water pump shaft, and the fan could easily at 2".

So, I'd say it would probably fit lengthwise. But would the pan miss the crossmember? Maybe because Ford used the V10 in place of a 460 in some cases from what little I've read.

Engine_Dimensions.thumb.jpg.0e54eba5375f0dabb2a3535b97314285.jpg

Dunno. But this thread on FTE says that the V10 measures "roughly 30 inches from the edge of one valve cover to the other, and roughly 34 inches from the back of the motor at the bell housing to the front of the fan."

And this thread on here gives this chart shown below. So we have the V10 at 30" x 34" and the 460 at 31 1/4" x 31 3/4". But, the V10 is to the front of the fan and the 460 is to the water pump shaft, and the fan could easily at 2".

So, I'd say it would probably fit lengthwise. But would the pan miss the crossmember? Maybe because Ford used the V10 in place of a 460 in some cases from what little I've read.

That v10 would be awesome in little blue!!!

Its much cheaper and easier to go 6.0 LS SWAP. All the chevy to ford transmission adapters already exist. Tons of easy and cheap engine control options. Its all just plastic, steel and aluminum guys. Its all engineered by the same guys who get hired at one manufacturer, then cannabalized over to the other. If Ford had an engine platform as popular as the Gen 1 to Gen 4 small block chevy, everyone would swap those fords into chevys.

Little blue will remain ford, for now. But I am a car guy, not just a ford guy. You can pick up a 5.3 liter LS for $500 with factory accessories and ecu.

To those with 460's, how hard are your trucks to control?

I have a 302, would prefer a 351, but wonder how long I'd survive with a 460, since it seems a lot of power in a 33 year old truck with great-for-the-80s brakes (discs/drums, no ABS, and loose steering).

To those with 460's, how hard are your trucks to control?

I have a 302, would prefer a 351, but wonder how long I'd survive with a 460, since it seems a lot of power in a 33 year old truck with great-for-the-80s brakes (discs/drums, no ABS, and loose steering).

My 460 drives easily, although it rides like tank as it is a 250HD. I really don’t think there’s enough difference between how the different engines drive to make that a deciding factor.