Bullnose Forums

Fuel pump recommendations please

There's really nothing magic about a particular fuel pump. But, some of them run higher pressure than others, so if you were going to go with an Edelbrock carb later, which doesn't like high pressure, I'd consider the Carter pump. Or, maybe even the Edelbrock one, although it is surely more money.

There's really nothing magic about a particular fuel pump. But, some of them run higher pressure than others, so if you were going to go with an Edelbrock carb later, which doesn't like high pressure, I'd consider the Carter pump. Or, maybe even the Edelbrock one, although it is surely more money.

Good to know, I see several brands run in the $20 range and then others are up in the $150+ range. I am not sure how a mechanical pump can be labeled performance other than boosting the pressure, but I think my old motor would be just fine with a $20 pump.

Good to know, I see several brands run in the $20 range and then others are up in the $150+ range. I am not sure how a mechanical pump can be labeled performance other than boosting the pressure, but I think my old motor would be just fine with a $20 pump.

The pump seems pretty straight forward to replace, pull the lines and cap the tank side line. Remove the two bolts, scrape any leftover gasket off if applicable, then just install new gasket/pump. Anything I am missing here or anything in particular to be aware of?

The pump seems pretty straight forward to replace, pull the lines and cap the tank side line. Remove the two bolts, scrape any leftover gasket off if applicable, then just install new gasket/pump. Anything I am missing here or anything in particular to be aware of?

I think you have it nailed.

Something to be aware of is if the fuel pump eccentric happens to be pushing the pump lever down during installation, the pump can be a bit hard to get in the hole straight. The problem is that the timing cover is aluminum and if the bolts don't go in straight they can cross thread very easily. My truck was like this when I bought it, and the fuel pump bolt hole threads were ruined. So...

If the bolts are not threading in easily, you may have to turn the crank a bit to get the eccentric to let pressure off the arm. Just be careful and it will be fine.

Something to be aware of is if the fuel pump eccentric happens to be pushing the pump lever down during installation, the pump can be a bit hard to get in the hole straight. The problem is that the timing cover is aluminum and if the bolts don't go in straight they can cross thread very easily. My truck was like this when I bought it, and the fuel pump bolt hole threads were ruined. So...

If the bolts are not threading in easily, you may have to turn the crank a bit to get the eccentric to let pressure off the arm. Just be careful and it will be fine.

Thanks for the inputs guys, I replaced the pump this afternoon without any issue, cant believe how easy of a job that is even from the top on the motor. Still having running issues, made another post for that.