Bullnose Forums

Please Share Your Towing Expertise With An Amateur

Oops!

I thought I had the right gear ratio, but I didn't--I think!

Upon further looking, the vin decoder tells me I have the 3.08, but the axle tag on the door says "19" which means 8.8" 3.55! So I think that is right. Here are the new numbers, then:

MPH @ 5000 RPM in each gear:

1. 45 

2. 79 

3. 121 

4. 171 

RPM @ 65 MPH in each gear:

1. 7,270 (i)

2. 4,131

3. 2,683

4. 1,905

I marked first gear @ 65 MPH as an imaginary number, since (1.) I don't think the electronics will allow it to happen, and (2.) if it did, it might blow up the completely-stock motor. But, this does mean I will have more lower-end torque than previously thought, and I will be more able to pull uphill.

What do you think? New information for the better?

Those gears will give 15% more torque in all situations. It is possible that you'll be able to tow in OD if the trailer is small enough since you'll be turning 1905 at 65 MPH. And while the 2683 RPM @ 65 MPH seems a bit much, it isn't much more than Big Blue's 2500 at that speed, so would work nicely for towing.

If you go back to the trailer towing guide you'll see that with those gears you are "on the map" with a max trailer weight of 7100 lbs. However, I think that is high, and especially so if you look at the 1986 owners manual.

Anyway, you can tow!