Bullnose Forums

Add power to the 300 i6?

The short answer is from the factory it is set up as a low rpm work horse. To change that, you have to help it breathe more... in and out. What that means is a custom intake for a 2 or 4 barrel carb (or multiple carbs), ported head, different cam, and headers, split EFI manifolds, or the medium duty HD manifold. These parts cost some money, so most people opt for a V8 swap... but as the Frenchtown Flyer puts it, the 300 six is “the best kept secret in racing”. Clifford performance parts slogan is 6=8.

Wondering if anyone found the 300 i6 a bit of an underpowered engine and was wondering if there were ways to bump the hp numbers a bit. Ive heard some insanely crazy good reviews on it though! Let me know if you have any ideas!

In the middle of figuring all this out myself.

I just removed all the emissions system on mine. Went with an HEI distributor. For now, I want to get this thing running good. So I am reusing the factory manifolds and carb.

But, I am probably going with a hand made intake like this, and three single barrel carbs. EFI exhaust manifolds, and a cam upgrade.

custom_intake.jpg.d4442c63ffeb664a8df710b5576d9bcc.jpg

The short answer is from the factory it is set up as a low rpm work horse. To change that, you have to help it breathe more... in and out. What that means is a custom intake for a 2 or 4 barrel carb (or multiple carbs), ported head, different cam, and headers, split EFI manifolds, or the medium duty HD manifold. These parts cost some money, so most people opt for a V8 swap... but as the Frenchtown Flyer puts it, the 300 six is “the best kept secret in racing”. Clifford performance parts slogan is 6=8.

in point of having the engine breath more, im probigly gonna open up the exause with headers and maybe do a carb upgrade if i end up with a 300 truck. Cooling was an issue with this engine if i remember right, ive read lots of storys of these engines overheating. so cooling, lessening the exuast restriction, and maybe turbocharging it are what my plans would be to make it suitible for me. Ive heard ford even made a concept 300 that was turbocharged.

in point of having the engine breath more, im probigly gonna open up the exause with headers and maybe do a carb upgrade if i end up with a 300 truck. Cooling was an issue with this engine if i remember right, ive read lots of storys of these engines overheating. so cooling, lessening the exuast restriction, and maybe turbocharging it are what my plans would be to make it suitible for me. Ive heard ford even made a concept 300 that was turbocharged.

It all depends on your expectation of what you are looking for the engine to do. It was used in the F 600 with a dump bed and handled that satisfactory, in fact the HD V8's used in those trucks didn't have power #'s that much greater. The biggest issue in my opinion is making sure that the engine is correctly tuned. An out of tune engine can easily lose 75 or more horsepower.

It all depends on your expectation of what you are looking for the engine to do. It was used in the F 600 with a dump bed and handled that satisfactory, in fact the HD V8's used in those trucks didn't have power #'s that much greater. The biggest issue in my opinion is making sure that the engine is correctly tuned. An out of tune engine can easily lose 75 or more horsepower.

Its gonna be a daily driver, probibly not going above 65 all that much, getting some highway travel in occasionally but nothing really above 70. Mainly gonna be going to and fron school and then to work on the weekends. not hauling anything as of right now. im just concered this thing isnt gonna be able to get up to 65 when i go to get on the interstate, or handle the 55 mph cruse to work. Thats kinda why i wanted more power. 130 hp isnt a lot at all for this engine and was hoping to push those numbers closer to like 175-200hp.

Its gonna be a daily driver, probibly not going above 65 all that much, getting some highway travel in occasionally but nothing really above 70. Mainly gonna be going to and fron school and then to work on the weekends. not hauling anything as of right now. im just concered this thing isnt gonna be able to get up to 65 when i go to get on the interstate, or handle the 55 mph cruse to work. Thats kinda why i wanted more power. 130 hp isnt a lot at all for this engine and was hoping to push those numbers closer to like 175-200hp.

Mine has the 300, all stock with nothing but a good tune and carburetor setting with a 3.25 geared 9 inch and it will cruise 60-65 no problem. If you are not expecting neck whipping acceleration, then the 300 will do just fine. I had a '85 model with a 302 and it did not out do the 300 on acceleration but it did have more top speed but using that just gets you tickets. Plus maintenance is easier, at least on the carb version. However, the EFI 4.9{300} has a little more torque and more top end putting it on par or above a stock 302. Just my opinion though.

Mine has the 300, all stock with nothing but a good tune and carburetor setting with a 3.25 geared 9 inch and it will cruise 60-65 no problem. If you are not expecting neck whipping acceleration, then the 300 will do just fine. I had a '85 model with a 302 and it did not out do the 300 on acceleration but it did have more top speed but using that just gets you tickets. Plus maintenance is easier, at least on the carb version. However, the EFI 4.9{300} has a little more torque and more top end putting it on par or above a stock 302. Just my opinion though.

Well, that soundspromising tbh, The insurance company is gonna probibly be happier about a 6 anyway. I was just worried its so underpowered you cant really get up to highway speeds. Is the fuel economy simaler to a 302 aswell? Ive heard there is no real true number for the 300. The 302 get like 14-15 mpg from what i have heard.

Well, that soundspromising tbh, The insurance company is gonna probibly be happier about a 6 anyway. I was just worried its so underpowered you cant really get up to highway speeds. Is the fuel economy simaler to a 302 aswell? Ive heard there is no real true number for the 300. The 302 get like 14-15 mpg from what i have heard.

The 4.9L/300 can do well if driven conservatively: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325963-gas-mileage-recipe-4-9l-300-a.html

The 4.9L/300 can do well if driven conservatively: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325963-gas-mileage-recipe-4-9l-300-a.html

Thats not to shabby honestly, im not an aggresive driver so mpgs shouldnt be bad. I also read that turbocharging the 300 can shorten itslife expectancy quite a bit because it wasn't designed to run one on it. So... ill probibly just see what i end up with first and then go from there on it.