Bullnose Forums

Whick grill do ya like better: 80-81 or 82-86?

As a kid, I didn't like the trucks without blue ovals because my dad's trucks all had blue ovals. But when I turned 15 and purchased a 1980 F150, there was no blue oval to be found. I swapped the grilles out, but I ended up going back to the 80-81 grille because it looked better with the FORD on the hood. Now, I prefer the 80-81 trucks over the 82+.

I will admit that the 82-86 grille is much cleaner. However, painting the argent bars of an 80-81 grille black tends to hide them and make them look much cleaner as well.

Definitely a blue oval guy. The 80-82 grilles look weird on these trucks to me, didnt fit the body as well as say the 78 79 did.

As a kid, I didn't like the trucks without blue ovals because my dad's trucks all had blue ovals. But when I turned 15 and purchased a 1980 F150, there was no blue oval to be found. I swapped the grilles out, but I ended up going back to the 80-81 grille because it looked better with the FORD on the hood. Now, I prefer the 80-81 trucks over the 82+.

I will admit that the 82-86 grille is much cleaner. However, painting the argent bars of an 80-81 grille black tends to hide them and make them look much cleaner as well.

I like the letters on the hood as well. I went with the correct 1982 - 1986 Ford oval grille for my truck, but added "LARIAT" hood letters. I think it almost looks stock:

Letters2.jpg.f5f31a973e0faae390394edd48da6596.jpg

I like the letters on the hood as well. I went with the correct 1982 - 1986 Ford oval grille for my truck, but added "LARIAT" hood letters. I think it almost looks stock:

I really like that, can't say I've ever seen somebody put Lariat on the hood.

I really like that, can't say I've ever seen somebody put Lariat on the hood.

I know there was a Lariat hood ornament like there was for the Explorer, but yeah, never seen Lariat spelled out on the hood. Thats cool!

I know there was a Lariat hood ornament like there was for the Explorer, but yeah, never seen Lariat spelled out on the hood. Thats cool!

Thanks! Notice that the letters are in the same font as the 1980/1981 FORD hood letters. Except - like the other 1982 - 1986 emblems - these are stick-on plastic emblems. The letters came from a Ford Freestar Limited, so they are OEM Ford parts!

I don't think there ever was a "LARIAT" hood ornament.

Thanks! Notice that the letters are in the same font as the 1980/1981 FORD hood letters. Except - like the other 1982 - 1986 emblems - these are stick-on plastic emblems. The letters came from a Ford Freestar Limited, so they are OEM Ford parts!

I don't think there ever was a "LARIAT" hood ornament.

https://cgfordparts.com/CATPICS/LOGOTHUMB/0000039196_0035000400.JPG Found one. its the red with 3 lions on top of each other. One more reason i like the Lariat trucks! I actually didn't know there was a hood ornament till i started looking!

https://cgfordparts.com/CATPICS/LOGOTHUMB/0000039196_0035000400.JPG Found one. its the red with 3 lions on top of each other. One more reason i like the Lariat trucks! I actually didn't know there was a hood ornament till i started looking!

I hate to burst your bubble, but that hood ornament has nothing to do with Lariats. It was an available part that could be put on any truck, including the little Broncos and Rangers, as shown here:

hood-ornament-bullnose_orig.thumb.jpg.1b5712033cc574851d30a65f1495f2bd.jpg

I hate to burst your bubble, but that hood ornament has nothing to do with Lariats. It was an available part that could be put on any truck, including the little Broncos and Rangers, as shown here:

ohhhhhh.... hmm, intresting anyway lol. Yeah, looks like the Explorer was the only trim level with a hood ornament. Go figure its at the top of the line!

Actually, the pic you included was of an earlier hood emblem. Note the "D3AZ", which indicates that emblem was first used in 1973. And, the "A" indicates it was intended for use on a car, not a truck.

So, that particular emblem isn't the one that would have been available for the Bullnose trucks. But, I cannot tell you what the differences are.

Actually, the pic you included was of an earlier hood emblem. Note the "D3AZ", which indicates that emblem was first used in 1973. And, the "A" indicates it was intended for use on a car, not a truck.

So, that particular emblem isn't the one that would have been available for the Bullnose trucks. But, I cannot tell you what the differences are.

Wow, didnt know that. Was the hood emblem a common feature people ordered? I dont think i have ever seen it on a truck!