Bullnose Forums

Removing California Emissions System

It was the socket/pigtail link that was broken, but it's now fixed. The link to the relay itself works for me.

As for your wiring, you don't have the auxiliary battery relay. But you should have the big yellow wire with the green connector, although it won't be hooked to anything.

hmmm. that link took me to a mass airflow sensor. And I don't remember seeing a yellow wire, but I will double check again tonight. Thanks!

Ray, from the distributor and lake of a mixture solenoid on the carburetor, your truck did not have the computer controlled system. You could have kept the DS-II system instead of going to a damn Chevy distributor.

One thing I will tell you from personal experience on an older Chevy truck, you will want to add a relay to provide the needed 12V high current feed to the HEI distributor. If the 1982 ignition feed wiring has a way to bypass the resistance wire easily then you might be ok there. The 1985.5 through 1987 trucks had the capability to have a 12V feed to the TFI ignition or a resisted feed for the DS-II as both systems were used depending on the engine installed.

Thanks. But I am a Chevy guy too, so I am familiar with the HEI. I like it. It works. Its easy. Its new.

If anyone wants this old dizzy, they are welcome to it.

I will scan through some wiring diagrams that I am sure gary has posted on here to see if the Original switched 12v coil wire will suffice the HEI coil. I am willing to bet it will be fine. I am not 100% sure of how coil capacitors work, but I thought they are more concerned with voltage, rather than current. Correct me if I am wrong.

I would take your DSII distributor if you are determined not to use it. It never hurts to have a spare.