Bullnose Forums

F350 losing power..... Help!

F350, 460 4 speed manual. 1986.

Hey everyone. I recently towed a 40' travel trailer from 88 miles away to close to my destination and I did not make it. In fact, I shouldn't have hooked up to the trailer, because I was having issues going to them. They lived over two mountain passes and I was losing power on my way there going uphill. I am fine on flat ground though.

After hooking up, I had all the power in the world taking off and at low speeds. On the freeway, I couldn't sustain my 55 mph on any incline. As I approached the steep mountain, I dropped to 15 mph in 2nd gear around 3000 rpm. That was it. Third and fourth gear had no power at all, even going 55 mph approaching the mountain.

Since, I have changed the clutch, checked the timing one the truck and adjusted it to 11° without distributor advance, tuned the carb to a quarter turn from idle drop, and have the idle speed screw set to 900 rpm (seems where she is happiest).

A buddy of mine keeps suggesting that my new 4 barrel carb might not be opening up all the barrels at those higher speeds. Is there a way to check that and what other thoughts would you have to check?

Unfortunately I am pressed on time. In just 2.5 weeks in am towing my 12k lbs tiny house 4 states over and there's even worse mountain passes on this trip.

Bummer!

So, tell us a bit more. First, what carb do you have? Do you have a mechanical fuel pump or electric? Dual tanks?

Second, what were the symptoms? Any missing, rough running, backfires? Or just sagging and no power?

I'll suggest that the problem either a lack of enough fuel or weak spark. But let's see what others say and what your answers are.

Bummer!

So, tell us a bit more. First, what carb do you have? Do you have a mechanical fuel pump or electric? Dual tanks?

Second, what were the symptoms? Any missing, rough running, backfires? Or just sagging and no power?

I'll suggest that the problem either a lack of enough fuel or weak spark. But let's see what others say and what your answers are.

Gary,

So there was not any roughness, or backfires. Aside from going up steep hills, she ran great. It just slowed down.

I do have new plugs and wires from December.

It is a ln electric fuel pump in the front tank. The rear tanks fuel pump doesn't work.

Carb is the Edelbrock 650 cfm AVS2, installed in December.

Gary,

So there was not any roughness, or backfires. Aside from going up steep hills, she ran great. It just slowed down.

I do have new plugs and wires from December.

It is a ln electric fuel pump in the front tank. The rear tanks fuel pump doesn't work.

Carb is the Edelbrock 650 cfm AVS2, installed in December.

Here is the 40' trailer hooked up.

IMG_20190304_185619.jpg.e2a19814ab6cf8140b91dace558cbcf4.jpgIMG_20190304_185607.jpg.55f1a0bb00505ab6a0f50749a6495a6c.jpg

I don't hear a swooshing sound, no. I honestly don't know about a catalytic converter. I do know that all the emissions pumps were removed from the engine bay.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the truck has plenty of towing power in first and second gear. We totally forgot to remove the wheel chaulks on the trailer and in first gear I towed the trailer right over them. Starting from a stop was not a problem. It feels like higher speeds and gears is where I am losing power.