Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Okay. Looks like Offenhauser single plane C series is what I am looking for. I have a 600 Edelbrock brand new in box sitting in the garage. So, I need some EFI exhaust manifolds, seeing that hedman headers are for 2WD, and buying the Clifford headers is like getting raped.

I keep seeing 1.7:1 chevy rockers are a common upgrade. That ought to help out breathing without upgrading the cam....

And ignition.....not sure what to do until I see again exactly what ignition is in it. I'd like to drop in an HEI dizzy and go.

On the ignition, see the Ignition Simplification and then the One-Wire tabs here: Electrical/Ignition.

But if you are doing all that work I wouldn't stick with the stock cam.

And a 600 CFM Eddy is a lot of carb. That carb worked well on Big Blue's 460 and took it nicely to 5000 RPM. So that's plenty of carb, and maybe too much unless you are going to set that 300 up to rev. In fact, doing the math, that carb would be quite adequate to take a 300 to 7500 RPM. :nabble_smiley_scared:

On the ignition, see the Ignition Simplification and then the One-Wire tabs here: Electrical/Ignition.

But if you are doing all that work I wouldn't stick with the stock cam.

And a 600 CFM Eddy is a lot of carb. That carb worked well on Big Blue's 460 and took it nicely to 5000 RPM. So that's plenty of carb, and maybe too much unless you are going to set that 300 up to rev. In fact, doing the math, that carb would be quite adequate to take a 300 to 7500 RPM. :nabble_smiley_scared:

So, what you are telling me is.....I need a 450-500cfm carb.....

Any suggestions on cams? Should I keep stock rockers with aftermarket cam, or do a larger ratio rocker AND a cam?

I want it to run well, but I doubt it'll see above 3500rpm much, if at all. My 5.3 silverado rarely gets above 3000rpm.

I will read up on the dizzy simplification, but wouldn't an HEI be much simpler? Drop it in and go.

So, what you are telling me is.....I need a 450-500cfm carb.....

Any suggestions on cams? Should I keep stock rockers with aftermarket cam, or do a larger ratio rocker AND a cam?

I want it to run well, but I doubt it'll see above 3500rpm much, if at all. My 5.3 silverado rarely gets above 3000rpm.

I will read up on the dizzy simplification, but wouldn't an HEI be much simpler? Drop it in and go.

An HEI is just one form of a one-wire dizzy. There's also the DUI one-wire, which uses an HEI module. And, Tim Meyer makes a one-wire, although not yet one for a 300. Pertronix makes a one-wire.

For the carb, I do think a 500 CFM Eddy would be better. I'd look at the new AVS2 since it has an easily-adjusted secondary opening point.

And a cam with a bit more overlap and duration would help performance, but don't go wild or you'll kill the low-end torque. However, I don't have a recommendation as I don't know that engine.

Like this? Watch @ ~1:37 minutes.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+frenchtown+flyer+youtube&&view=detail&mid=304892A45D606625B284304892A45D606625B284&rvsmid=9428BA20873C91BC2C2F9428BA20873C91BC2C2F&FORM=VDRVRV

Like this? Watch @ ~1:37 minutes.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+frenchtown+flyer+youtube&&view=detail&mid=304892A45D606625B284304892A45D606625B284&rvsmid=9428BA20873C91BC2C2F9428BA20873C91BC2C2F&FORM=VDRVRV

Yep, like that. (Remind me to turn the volume on the shop's computer down next time. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

An HEI is just one form of a one-wire dizzy. There's also the DUI one-wire, which uses an HEI module. And, Tim Meyer makes a one-wire, although not yet one for a 300. Pertronix makes a one-wire.

For the carb, I do think a 500 CFM Eddy would be better. I'd look at the new AVS2 since it has an easily-adjusted secondary opening point.

And a cam with a bit more overlap and duration would help performance, but don't go wild or you'll kill the low-end torque. However, I don't have a recommendation as I don't know that engine.

I gotcha. Yeah, I really just want something snappy, fun, not too loud, but something to be proud of. I will be looking for a clifford valve cover, and the c series offy, or the two dueces Clifford.

Notice which side the carburetors are on? :nabble_smiley_wink:

I saw the cylinder head and orientation of intake runners. That must have cost big money. The wood spacer is a good idea.

I saw an Offenhauser cross ram plenum online. Would be a awesome accesory onto an offenhauser c series.