Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Black does not reflect sunlight, thats why its always hotter. Ive never heard someone tell me a certain color radiates better than another. How does color have any affect on the surface temp of an exhaust tube? Not saying you are wrong, but please do explain how color affect heat radiation.

As far as the starter goes, I thought I might wrap it, or wrap the header. I dont know yet.

Remember that my degrees are in math and physics. But, it gets into what is called "black body radiation". Here's the Wikipedia writeup, but the basics are that just as a black surface absorbs more radiation than a white surface, it also radiates more heat than a white surface.

The descriptive explanation is:

All normal (baryonic) matter emits electromagnetic radiation when it has a temperature above absolute zero. The radiation represents a conversion of a body's internal energy into electromagnetic energy, and is therefore called thermal radiation. It is a spontaneous process of radiative distribution of entropy.

So a black exhaust system will radiate more heat than a white or silver one.

Black does not reflect sunlight, thats why its always hotter. Ive never heard someone tell me a certain color radiates better than another. How does color have any affect on the surface temp of an exhaust tube? Not saying you are wrong, but please do explain how color affect heat radiation.

As far as the starter goes, I thought I might wrap it, or wrap the header. I dont know yet.

I wouldn't wrap headers, of course it's personal preference, but it's the corrosion that I don't like. I would shield the starter.

I first heard about the corrosion from some guys who put it on their dual purpose motorcycles.

A couple of reads:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/exhaust-system-header-wrapping/28755

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

I wouldn't wrap headers, of course it's personal preference, but it's the corrosion that I don't like. I would shield the starter.

I first heard about the corrosion from some guys who put it on their dual purpose motorcycles.

A couple of reads:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/exhaust-system-header-wrapping/28755

https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

I agree, grumpin. Wrapping works until the corrosion kills the pipes.

And any paint is only temporary, so the discussion about color isn't a big deal. However, ceramic coating does last.

Remember that my degrees are in math and physics. But, it gets into what is called "black body radiation". Here's the Wikipedia writeup, but the basics are that just as a black surface absorbs more radiation than a white surface, it also radiates more heat than a white surface.

The descriptive explanation is:

All normal (baryonic) matter emits electromagnetic radiation when it has a temperature above absolute zero. The radiation represents a conversion of a body's internal energy into electromagnetic energy, and is therefore called thermal radiation. It is a spontaneous process of radiative distribution of entropy.

So a black exhaust system will radiate more heat than a white or silver one.

Gary, interesting. I would like to see an expirement with a black, white and silver stripe on an exhaust tube. Using a laser temp thermometer, and read the temperature differential of all three sections at the same time.

The stripes would have to be parallel to the flow of exhaust, not perpendicular. That way all 3 colors are the same distance from the combustion chamber.

I thought the absorbsion of radiation had more to do with light spectrum reflection and pigmentation of the surface.

Anyway, I bet if we did find a difference in temps, it would not amount to enough difference on an old ford truck to make any difference in performance or efficiency. I mean, there are so many factors that play bigger roles.

I love how detailed you are Gary. You are a sniper, and I am the guy trying to spray and pray. One day, when I am retired, maybe I can afford the time to be as detailed as you. Cant wait to see your dads truck. Hopefully the end of next month I will be in town. Maybe see you then.

.....I wouldn't wrap headers, of course it's personal preference, but it's the corrosion that I don't like......

Yes, I too had considered this. I wrapped a set of headers on a 70 chevelle. Never drove it in the rain. Headers didnt corrode. I think if you go mudding, or drive it in rain, or let it sit with the wrap being wet, of course its going to corrode faster.

If heating the intake is as important as everyone says it is, maybe wrapping the header isnt such a good idea. Sounds like I should shield the starter and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Holy heck, what a rat's nest of pipes...lol!

Sure is! Cylinder #3 tube is what confuses me. Why it has to come so far out, then back down...

I was thinking maybe the tubes are equal lengths, but sitting here looking at them, no way are they all equal lengths.

I dont know. It looks cool. Thats all that matters to me.

Holy heck, what a rat's nest of pipes...lol!

Sure is! Cylinder #3 tube is what confuses me. Why it has to come so far out, then back down...

I was thinking maybe the tubes are equal lengths, but sitting here looking at them, no way are they all equal lengths.

I dont know. It looks cool. Thats all that matters to me.

Not much has happened to blue 82 the last few days. Between work, recieving our chicks, and yard chores, I just havent had time.

What paint should I buy for the engine? I want to go gray. Ive looked at rattle cans, tractor enamel and hardener....any other suggestions?

Not taking the engine out, it may be easier and much less mess to brush on tractor paint. No overspray. The H.A.M.B website suggests using it, and not to worry. They say it will stick and look good as long as you prep well.

Im not going for show truck. Just a nice looker.

What paint should I buy for the engine? I want to go gray. Ive looked at rattle cans, tractor enamel and hardener....any other suggestions?

The Dupli-Color rattle cans come in the Ford engine colors and work well. My 302 was done in the darker blue and it looks good.

IMG_4575.jpg.d4dcda9a2d16de3d30d807cee6f13881.jpg

Not much has happened to blue 82 the last few days. Between work, recieving our chicks, and yard chores, I just havent had time.

Not taking the engine out, it may be easier and much less mess to brush on tractor paint. No overspray. The H.A.M.B website suggests using it, and not to worry. They say it will stick and look good as long as you prep well.

Im not going for show truck. Just a nice looker.

HAMB's recommendations are usually good. But I've not used any tractor paint so can't comment.

I have, however, like Cory used Dupli-Color and it worked well.