Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Orange Can Of Death: Fram oil filter

Hitch: Surely there's one that doesn't protrude like that one does?

Mounts: Will have to figure out what I have and if they are right for LB82. Then will let you know.

Rust: You have a leak on that side, maybe around the windshield? And, that must say that home for the truck was up north as "It never rains in southern California".

On the rust....Well, Garret did say he drove it a lot in Indiana the last twelve years.

So I started it up. It idles really high right now. Not sure why. I let it heat up. Turned off. Smoking oil like a frieght train. You can see oil bubbling at the lifter cover. Dont know why I didnt order gaskets yet.

Speaking of.....rear xfer case output seal is pretty leaky too. Time to make another list.

On the rust....Well, Garret did say he drove it a lot in Indiana the last twelve years.

So I started it up. It idles really high right now. Not sure why. I let it heat up. Turned off. Smoking oil like a frieght train. You can see oil bubbling at the lifter cover. Dont know why I didnt order gaskets yet.

Speaking of.....rear xfer case output seal is pretty leaky too. Time to make another list.

Just in case you haven't found them, the FSM section on that transfer case is here: Driveline/Transfer Cases.

Just in case you haven't found them, the FSM section on that transfer case is here: Driveline/Transfer Cases.

Lol....was just using that page to cross reference the input and output seal part numbers on Rock Auto.

YOU DA MAN GARY.

20190420_120432.jpg.b6619920539ed80a9b3d479f20bf7d2c.jpg

According to the rear axle diagram on this site, I have the rear locking axle?????

The backing plate/seal and bearing retainer plate mounting flange is shaped like the flange in the locking axle assembly. Can someone confirm?

I am ordering axle seals, and wheel cylinders. You can see something is leaking.

20190420_120426.jpg.8f701c5f2a209267fe87aeef6128892a.jpg

According to the rear axle diagram on this site, I have the rear locking axle?????

The backing plate/seal and bearing retainer plate mounting flange is shaped like the flange in the locking axle assembly. Can someone confirm?

I am ordering axle seals, and wheel cylinders. You can see something is leaking.

Well, looks like the outer axle seal p/n is the same 1177 for both axles. So, I will order accordingly.

The axle seals and wheel cylinders will be the same whether limited slip or not. But, to decode where's the tag that should be attached to the front of the axle under a bolt holding the diff/pumpkin in. Usually at about the 9 or 11 o'clock position.

And, the certification label should say also. But I don't know where you posted the cert label's pic.

Well, looks like the outer axle seal p/n is the same 1177 for both axles. So, I will order accordingly.

Axle tag is missing. Previous owner swapped axles. Ensured the ratio was correct. Cert label states 3.50:1. We cant be 100% if its locking or not until I drive it or pull the diff.

Axle tag is missing. Previous owner swapped axles. Ensured the ratio was correct. Cert label states 3.50:1. We cant be 100% if its locking or not until I drive it or pull the diff.

Did he just change an axle or axles? Or the whole diff? The certification label indicates non-locking, but if he changed it then I guess it will be a mystery until you spin it or pull it.:nabble_smiley_good:

Crossmember time. I do not have a NOS "Insulator Assy. (Rear Support), as Ford calls it, either upper or lower. But, I have found some online - for from $83.35/ea to $127/ea for the upper, and I didn't bother to look for the lower. :nabble_smiley_argh:

But, you may get lucky and find them less expensive, so here are the part numbers you are looking for. And, by the way, they also fit 4wd's w/a 255, 302, 351W, 351M, 400, 460, and the IDI.

300_Six_Insulator_Header.thumb.jpg.56a6e48ef7c42cde0b63c8ac6ceb9522.jpg300_Six_Insulator_Part_Numbers.thumb.jpg.120bda8f0308a5cfd9132d4128a7f299.jpg

Having said that, here's a comparison of your crossmember to a spare of mine, and then a pic of my upper and lower insulators. Note how your uppers are bad but mine are good. And your lowers appear to be good, although it is hard to tell from the pic, and mine are bad. Looks like a marriage made in heaven - assuming yours and mine will come apart w/o tearing the other piece up.

The lower screws into the upper, and they get really rusty. I have mine soaking in penetrating oil to see if they'll come apart nicely. I'll keep hitting them with the impact every little bit to see if they'll come apart nicely. If so they are yours for the shipping. And, if they don't then I could ship the whole crossmember and you could use it as it is the uppers that are really bearing the weight of the engine and tranny.

20190418_195915.jpg.ac432d7929108675e6b359f031bc6027.jpgDSCN3783.thumb.jpg.9dc1cc2895e401e4bc975311c4492b7d.jpg

DSCN3784.thumb.jpg.fbd716eab9abe5d1cdebef670b87ea04.jpgDSCN3785.thumb.jpg.b9e66ca9bb305bf5d2ddaa8cf393f982.jpg

Crossmember time. I do not have a NOS "Insulator Assy. (Rear Support), as Ford calls it, either upper or lower. But, I have found some online - for from $83.35/ea to $127/ea for the upper, and I didn't bother to look for the lower. :nabble_smiley_argh:

But, you may get lucky and find them less expensive, so here are the part numbers you are looking for. And, by the way, they also fit 4wd's w/a 255, 302, 351W, 351M, 400, 460, and the IDI.

Having said that, here's a comparison of your crossmember to a spare of mine, and then a pic of my upper and lower insulators. Note how your uppers are bad but mine are good. And your lowers appear to be good, although it is hard to tell from the pic, and mine are bad. Looks like a marriage made in heaven - assuming yours and mine will come apart w/o tearing the other piece up.

The lower screws into the upper, and they get really rusty. I have mine soaking in penetrating oil to see if they'll come apart nicely. I'll keep hitting them with the impact every little bit to see if they'll come apart nicely. If so they are yours for the shipping. And, if they don't then I could ship the whole crossmember and you could use it as it is the uppers that are really bearing the weight of the engine and tranny.

Gary. If my renter doesnt buy the house, I will swing by when I am in town to get that crossmember or rubber mounts. Whichever makes sense. I appreciate your time researching this for me.

For now, I have $1200 in parts coming. So that will keep me busy.

I need to get it running good enough to drive down to dmv to get inspection.

So that means, radiator and throwing away the Orange Can of death very first things.

Looks like an aftermarket flex fan is installed. 5 blade. Did the stock fans look like this:

20190419_183931.jpg.aa48d69b13d07c19ec30a4e884f0c59d.jpg