Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Thanks Cory. The original owner said he replaced the clutch in 2005. So....who knows. I say if its slipping, it needs replacement or upgrading.

Ive already went through the mechanical linkage and replaced a couple items. Its in perfect working order.

Anyone know if this is a weekend job, or longer?

Weekend job for sure.

My '84 Flywheel had the holes for the 11" clutch, but I don't know if they all did. Maybe one of the other guys know?

Yeah I am unsure. I am looking at the Luk kit for 11". Will probably get that. Not sure if I should order the Luk flywheel or not. Its description is vague and does not specifically say if it is for a 10" or 11" or both. It gives an flywheel OD of 10.9xx". Not sure if that means its for the 11" clutch disc or not.

My '84 Flywheel had the holes for the 11" clutch, but I don't know if they all did. Maybe one of the other guys know?

The flywheel in my son's 1984 and the one in my 1986, both, were factory drilled for either the 10" or 11". Both trucks received the 11" LUK clutch kit. The 11" clutch required less pressure [leg] than did the 10" units.

The kits only cost ~$35 more [11" vs. 10"].

The mounting bolts are different, but easy to obtain.

The flywheel in my son's 1984 and the one in my 1986, both, were factory drilled for either the 10" or 11". Both trucks received the 11" LUK clutch kit. The 11" clutch required less pressure [leg] than did the 10" units.

The kits only cost ~$35 more [11" vs. 10"].

The mounting bolts are different, but easy to obtain.

There was only one manual transmission flywheel from 1980 through at least '89, which is the end of my catalog, as shown here: Engines/Flywheels. And there were both 10" and 11" clutches used during that time, as shown here: Driveline/Clutches & Linkage. So the one flywheel fits both clutch sizes, just as David and Daniel found on their trucks.

There was only one manual transmission flywheel from 1980 through at least '89, which is the end of my catalog, as shown here: Engines/Flywheels. And there were both 10" and 11" clutches used during that time, as shown here: Driveline/Clutches & Linkage. So the one flywheel fits both clutch sizes, just as David and Daniel found on their trucks.

Dave and Gary. This is great info. Looks like I will just go ahead and get the 11" LUK. Everything I read online....everyone suggests the LUK.

RockAuto has the bolt kit for the 11" disc and pressure plate....so....there ya have it.

:nabble_smiley_good:

If you replace the rear main seal, while changing the clutch, give this some thought. The Frenchtown Flyer [retired Ford engine development engineer] recommends using a seal from a Modular [V8] engine. The sizes are the same and the newer design has 2 lips for a better seal.

If you replace the rear main seal, while changing the clutch, give this some thought. The Frenchtown Flyer [retired Ford engine development engineer] recommends using a seal from a Modular [V8] engine. The sizes are the same and the newer design has 2 lips for a better seal.

That’s some good info.

Ok, I have the truck all apart. I replaced the rear main seal. I inspected the old seal and sure enough, only one lip as Dave mentioned. I ordered a seal from Summit because I got the clutch from them too. The seal has two lips.

I am replacing the flywheel too. After inspection, it looks cooked. It has a lot of spots that got too hot during the slipping that has been going on. Im not sure if resurfacing it would be a good idea. Im thinking the hardened surface would need to be annealed. New is just the way to go.

The lift makes it easy to wrestle tcases and transmissions out, but gravity makes it hard to reinstall....so not looking forward to putting them back in.

20190901_170027.jpg.c214a745d6b04633ee60236a3e866167.jpg

20190901_145147.jpg.96d812fda7b837ce126ababf0e9d3b9b.jpg20190901_162524.jpg.deea1dd3f08ff26397deba1195a2d4e7.jpg