Bullnose Forum

Little Blue 82

Gary. If my renter doesnt buy the house, I will swing by when I am in town to get that crossmember or rubber mounts. Whichever makes sense. I appreciate your time researching this for me.

For now, I have $1200 in parts coming. So that will keep me busy.

I need to get it running good enough to drive down to dmv to get inspection.

So that means, radiator and throwing away the Orange Can of death very first things.

Looks like an aftermarket flex fan is installed. 5 blade. Did the stock fans look like this:

Sounds like a plan, Ray. It is yours and I'll do my best to not tear it up trying to get it apart.

Crossmember time. I do not have a NOS "Insulator Assy. (Rear Support), as Ford calls it, either upper or lower. But, I have found some online - for from $83.35/ea to $127/ea for the upper, and I didn't bother to look for the lower. :nabble_smiley_argh:

But, you may get lucky and find them less expensive, so here are the part numbers you are looking for. And, by the way, they also fit 4wd's w/a 255, 302, 351W, 351M, 400, 460, and the IDI.

Having said that, here's a comparison of your crossmember to a spare of mine, and then a pic of my upper and lower insulators. Note how your uppers are bad but mine are good. And your lowers appear to be good, although it is hard to tell from the pic, and mine are bad. Looks like a marriage made in heaven - assuming yours and mine will come apart w/o tearing the other piece up.

The lower screws into the upper, and they get really rusty. I have mine soaking in penetrating oil to see if they'll come apart nicely. I'll keep hitting them with the impact every little bit to see if they'll come apart nicely. If so they are yours for the shipping. And, if they don't then I could ship the whole crossmember and you could use it as it is the uppers that are really bearing the weight of the engine and tranny.

Can that transmission mount be converted to the narrower/smaller one that goes in the middle? They're barely $10 at Rockauto.

Can that transmission mount be converted to the narrower/smaller one that goes in the middle? They're barely $10 at Rockauto.

I'm sure it could be converted, but I wouldn't want to do it. The narrow one is for 2wd trucks while the wider one is for 4wd trucks.

I think the reason for the wider one on the 4wd trucks is because the transfer case hangs off the the side. That creates a rocking motion to the engine/transmission/transfer case so the wider base is needed.

I'm sure it could be converted, but I wouldn't want to do it. The narrow one is for 2wd trucks while the wider one is for 4wd trucks.

I think the reason for the wider one on the 4wd trucks is because the transfer case hangs off the the side. That creates a rocking motion to the engine/transmission/transfer case so the wider base is needed.

Gary,

The '85 4x4 I bought (with AOD) had the narrow mount, and the 1995 5spd trans (4x4) I bought came with the narrow mount. I've seen other 4x4 Bullnoses with the narrow mount too. It makes sense for the extra support on the 4x4, but it wasn't on all trucks which seems odd. I thought it was a 4x4 NP435 thing...but seeing it on Ray's truck proves that wrong.

Okay. I have to decide what to do on the intake, carb and exhaust. Jegs has this Offenhauser kit with Holley carb and hedman headers.....but the headers dont fit 4wd....I wonder what the interference issue is?

Screenshot_20190420-201739_Chrome.thumb.jpg.27649c4ce0ca1f0ee4035beb89585d62.jpg

If I am patient, I might find a used Offenhauser intake and a set of used efi manifolds. Then just buy the Holley carb.

Clifford parts are way too rich for my blood.

Summit has a house brand HEI dizzy for $280

Screenshot_20190420-203931_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c1764816386197bcbe5e995a7d01940b.jpg

Does anyone know if I can run the factory carb with the emissions garbage with the egr and emissions crud removed? I may just run the Summit Dizzy with the factory carb until I decide what to do, or until I find good used parts.

Okay. I have to decide what to do on the intake, carb and exhaust. Jegs has this Offenhauser kit with Holley carb and hedman headers.....but the headers dont fit 4wd....I wonder what the interference issue is?

If I am patient, I might find a used Offenhauser intake and a set of used efi manifolds. Then just buy the Holley carb.

Clifford parts are way too rich for my blood.

Summit has a house brand HEI dizzy for $280

Does anyone know if I can run the factory carb with the emissions garbage with the egr and emissions crud removed? I may just run the Summit Dizzy with the factory carb until I decide what to do, or until I find good used parts.

I didn't realize some 4x4's don't have the wide mount. But, I should have done as Dad's truck has the narrow mount, and it can from and F250 4x4. :nabble_smiley_blush: So, you could convert. Might be the way to go.

As for the engine mods, I'd suggest doing the dizzy and running the existing carb. Again, it might be a little rich or lean as you won't have a computer controlling it, but it should work.

However, have you checked to see if you have wiring going to the carb? Maybe it isn't feedback? Do you have vacuum going to the distributor? If not it is EEC and should have originally been a feedback carb.

I didn't realize some 4x4's don't have the wide mount. But, I should have done as Dad's truck has the narrow mount, and it can from and F250 4x4. :nabble_smiley_blush: So, you could convert. Might be the way to go.

As for the engine mods, I'd suggest doing the dizzy and running the existing carb. Again, it might be a little rich or lean as you won't have a computer controlling it, but it should work.

However, have you checked to see if you have wiring going to the carb? Maybe it isn't feedback? Do you have vacuum going to the distributor? If not it is EEC and should have originally been a feedback carb.

Gary, I have that 89 bronco I am going to go pickup soon. I have no idea what its crossmember looks like yet. With a little luck, it might have what I need.

I bought the Summit HEI dizzy. Its on its way.

Here is a photo of the carb. The yellow wire loom has one or two wires running somewhere in the carb. I have no idea if this is a feedback carb.

20190419_183258.jpg.fe666eeca3d684a37b08e5d5bb524fc5.jpg

Gary, I have that 89 bronco I am going to go pickup soon. I have no idea what its crossmember looks like yet. With a little luck, it might have what I need.

I bought the Summit HEI dizzy. Its on its way.

Here is a photo of the carb. The yellow wire loom has one or two wires running somewhere in the carb. I have no idea if this is a feedback carb.

Also, I am 85% sure there is a vacuum leak. I can hear it when sitting inside the cab. When I touch the brake peddal, it goes away or is unnoticeable. I will plug the vac line tomorrow going to the booster and see what happens.